Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pages

Hi,

We are thinking of starting our applicationwindow with a first page in which you can switch to different domains. (Something like big buttons with images)
    This will lead to page with a fixed layout containing an outlookbar to the left in which predefined actionbuttons will be placed and to the right the views or whatever that's needed.

I'm guessing that I need a DefaultPageDescriptor much like DefaultViewDescriptor and create a page that takes a CommandGroup (or commands list) and places them as large buttons with images in the middle of the page. Then I'll probably need a page that has two parts, left the outlookbar and on the right the views/forms/editors.

Am I thinking in the right direction here? There's no such implementation already available?

Kind Regards,
    Jan

try snpepetclinic or flexdoc petclinic - search forum for links

regards

Comment

A Slight Variation of Jan's Request

I too want my application to have a main frame that is split into two vertical panels (either using JSplitPane or Borderlayout with WEST and CENTER).
      In the left panel I want to display a treeView of the commands that are accessible to the current user of my application. I determine the nodes of this treeView at user-login based on the user's role.

1. Can I configure in command-context.xml the complete set of all the commands/actions available in my application and build my complete actionsTree from that information? If so, how do I do that?

2. Using a checkable treeView of my application's complete actionsTree an administrator of the app can assign subTrees of the full tree to different user roles so that when a user logs in I can populate my acegi granted-authorities object with values from the appropriate user-role's actions subTree. Anyone know how to build checkable tree component for use in spring-rich?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by snpe

regards
        Too bad the archives aren't searchable though...

I've been giving this a stab and am kinda blocked by the extreme hiding of the BeanFactoryApplicationAdvisor.

It's the only one that knows about the command-group resource, and only allows access to 'menuBar' and 'toolBar', not to my various new (task oriented) organizations of the commands dubbed as 'navigationXXX'

An easy resolution I see would be to provide a protected getCommandGroup(commandGroupName) . (which in fact could be used to rationalize in the cut-paste implementations of getMenuBarCommandGroup and getToolbarCommandGroup sections too AFAICS)

If this doesn't sound too bad I could provide a patch and push it up the JIRA (or the dev-list)

Comment

Too bad the archives aren't searchable though...
          There's a search link at the top of every page in the forums and if you want to search the dev list there's gmane http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.jav...work.rcp.devel.

I've been giving this a stab and am kinda blocked by the extreme hiding of the BeanFactoryApplicationAdvisor.

It's the only one that knows about the command-group resource, and only allows access to 'menuBar' and 'toolBar', not to my various new (task oriented) organizations of the commands dubbed as 'navigationXXX'
          Actualy, from memory, the ApplicationWindow is where your command goups will be located. Try something like this:

Code:
          Application.instance().getActiveWindow().getCommandManager().getCommandGroup("navigationXXX")
          Ollie

Comment

Ollie,
            thx for your answer...

Originally posted by oliverhutchison
            There's a search link at the top of every page ...
            Thanx for making me see! (I'll do a better search for 'search' next time :-))

Originally posted by oliverhutchison
            Actualy, from memory, the ApplicationWindow is where your command goups will be located. Try something like this:

Code:
            Application.instance().getActiveWindow().getCommandManager().getCommandGroup("navigationXXX")
            Correct, and it is execatly what I tried too. However, it doesn't seem to work when the view is on the start-page? Since the getActiveWindow() returns null in that case I'm assuming I'm looking at some kind of chicken and egg problem.

I understand that my previous suggestion would actively open a bypass (via the advisor) to the (features off the) installed commandManager. On the other hand: the above chicken-egg issue is probably exactly why the access to the menubar and toolbar were provided on the level of the advisor already, no?

*update* Just spent some time syncing with cvs-head (BeanFactoryAppAdvisor is now DefaultApplicationLifecycleAdvisor): the renamed member 'currentWindowCommands' to 'openingWindowCommandBarFactory' looks like more evidence of the above...

At this stage in the discussion I'm wondering what the reason is behind accessing the commandManager over the activewindow?
            From my limited view here and now, it would make more sense making it available to the Application.instance() ?

Other thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by snpe
              Thx snpe, I found it and tried it out.
              Looks quite impressive (but at first glance passes by at the 'start-page' issue discuseed further down the thread.

Thx for sharing this, I had to update here and there to work with recenet changes in the rcp project, if you fancy I can create a diff to apply.

Comment

after investigating some more I've concluded towards some concrete suggestions which I've posted on the dev-list.

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/f...forum_id=39905

kind regards,
                -marc=

Comment

Working...
                X