Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• springmodules, svn update, build assistance required

Hi Folks,

I managed to work through a developer installation in eclipse and get things all in order. However, I just ran a svn update which breaks things in eclipse.

Basicall it cant find various things to do with springmodules which i assume has recently been added? eg:

The import org.springmodules.validation.valang.ValangValidato r cannot be resolved ValangRichValidator.java spring-richclient-support/src/main/java/org/springframework/binding/validation/support line 49

Is there a process I can follow to get this working again? eg is it a maven issue, something i need to run? for some reason maven wont run in the root project directory now..

Any assistance much appreciated.

Thanks

Alan

Ok, I tried a bit harder. Im new to this maven thang. I have developed a product using the pre 0.1 release, which, to my knowledge has been webstarted out to about 250 sites and some happy users. Id now like to get back in to the project to see whats changed in the last 6 months...back to maven...

It seems that the subversion plugin im using for eclipse from Polarian doesnt update things nicely when I ask it to. Im new to subversion so perhaps its me, in which case Ill gladly accept pointers. It managed to update the support module, yet didnt update various otherfiles including the root pom file for maven. hence maven wasnt happy.

however, tortoise svn support was much more complient. It updated everything. I then ran

mvn install

which spewed up lots of warnings and general verbosity, but finished with an "all is well" message.

Eclipse still wasnt happy, so then I ran

mvn eclipse:eclipse

...more verbosity....followed by all is well. Then I refreshed projects in Eclipse and im back to a clean build.

Ok, Im new to this as I said...but can someone confirm this procedure for updating when things change on the server? Id happily write the procedure up for new users once Ive got things under my belt here....

Thanks

Alan

Comment

Alan,

I'm also using the Polarian plugin for eclipse and although Ive not experienced any general problems with updating, in general it does not work as well as TortoiseSVN. If I come across problems I generally go to Tortoise and things tend to be ok.

The mvn eclipse:eclipse (among other things) updates the classpath entries in eclipse to match those created with the mvn install, so yes, it would be expected the first time you run maven after downloading the project.

hope this helps,
      Jonny

Originally posted by amcauley
      Ok, I tried a bit harder. Im new to this maven thang. I have developed a product using the pre 0.1 release, which, to my knowledge has been webstarted out to about 250 sites and some happy users. Id now like to get back in to the project to see whats changed in the last 6 months...back to maven...

It seems that the subversion plugin im using for eclipse from Polarian doesnt update things nicely when I ask it to. Im new to subversion so perhaps its me, in which case Ill gladly accept pointers. It managed to update the support module, yet didnt update various otherfiles including the root pom file for maven. hence maven wasnt happy.

however, tortoise svn support was much more complient. It updated everything. I then ran

mvn install

which spewed up lots of warnings and general verbosity, but finished with an "all is well" message.

Eclipse still wasnt happy, so then I ran

mvn eclipse:eclipse

...more verbosity....followed by all is well. Then I refreshed projects in Eclipse and im back to a clean build.

Ok, Im new to this as I said...but can someone confirm this procedure for updating when things change on the server? Id happily write the procedure up for new users once Ive got things under my belt here....

Thanks

Alan

Comment

Hi again. I guess the main reason for my post ( as a new maven/svn user) is to establish the procedure to follow when updating the spring rich client from svn if some eclipse problems appear. Im trying to establish this to get the details out in the open so be of use to other new developers.

Observations:

- If an update from svn breaks your eclipse project (missing classes, jars etc) you may need to do mvn install again in the root directory.

- On completion of the mvn install, you need to run mvn eclipse:eclipse

- Finish by refreshing projects in Eclipse.

I already had a good installation that broke, and this is the procedure i deduced to get it all working again. I know it may all seem obvious to many, I just wanted to spell it out here to encourage other developers that encounter similar issues and are new to maven. Typically this procedure would all be covered by simply synchronizing the complete project in Eclipse using CVS team synchronisation, but since maven is now part of the process I guess it warrants a bit more assistance for people unfamiliar with how maven is generally used in project development, like me, who havent read the manual ;-)

In fact, Ive just managed to work out the archetype stuff for creating a simple template project, so maybe I should put together all my observations in some sort of post or whatever that spells it all out nice and simple, and yes, obvious.

Its all changed quite a bit from my pre 0.1 experiences!

Cheers

Alan

Comment

Working...
        X