X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get lost on how to embed a ComboBox in a Form

I really get lost on how to use comboBox as FormModel in a form. The following is what I want to do, and I believe it's a common task in everyday programing:

I have a class, name it MyClass:

public class MyClass{
    public static int final TYPE1=1;
    public static int final TYPE1=2;
    public static int final TYPE1=3;

private int type;

// other fields....
    }

In a Form, I want to display the "type" as a combobox to let the user to choose one. After inspecting several classes on PropertyEditor, PropertyEditorRegistry, ComboBoxAdaptor, ValueModel, FormModel, Form, AbstractForm, DefaultFormModel, I am still lost on how can I get start on implement it.

It's easy :-)

Code:
     JComboBox typeSelector = getFormModel().createBoundComboBox(
                    "type", new Object[] { TYPE1, TYPE2, TYPE3 });
    This binds the property "type" on the form model's backing form object to the combo box, with a selectable list populated from TYPE1, TYPE2, and TYPE3.

getFormModel() returns an instance of SwingForModel: which is the factory for creating bound form model controls.

Comment

Keith,

Thanks a lot, that's beautiful and really help!

Actually, I've reinvented the wheels yesterday: :shock:

I programmed using low level classes such as BeanPropertyAccessStrategy, PropertyAdaptor, PropertyEditorSupport, PropertyEditor, ComboBoxModelAdapter, and with a lot of code I got the same result as yours. I even wanted to post my code in this forum to show off my fruit, but I changed my idea now to avoid misleading others

Thanks again springrichclient and your guys excellent work.

linwei
      S.J.V. Consultant Ltd.

Comment

hi, keith

I followed your code and everything goes fluently, excepting how to display the combobox in the Form. I first tried the following code:
        Code:
        protected JComponent createFormControl() {
                FormLayout layout = new FormLayout("left:pref, 5dlu, pref:grow");
                BeanFormBuilder formBuilder = new JGoodiesBeanFormBuilder(getFormModel(), layout);

final JComboBox typeSelector = formModel.createBoundComboBox( 
                        "parserId", parserList.toArray());

formBuilder.add("parserId");

return formBuilder.getForm();
        }
        ("parserId" is the property name to be displayed as combobox, "parserList" is the choices list ).

The above code displays "parserId" as textfield, rahter than a combobox. Then I have to register the "typeSelector" as property editor for parserId. The final working code is:
        Code:
                FormLayout layout = new FormLayout("left:pref, 5dlu, pref:grow");
                BeanFormBuilder formBuilder = new JGoodiesBeanFormBuilder(getFormModel(), layout);

"parserId", parserList.toArray());

formModel.registerCustomEditor("parserId", new PropertyEditorSupport(){

public boolean isPaintable() {
        				return true;
        			}
        			public Component getCustomEditor() {
        				return typeSelector;
        			}

public boolean supportsCustomEditor() {
        				return true;
        			}
                });
                formBuilder.add("parserId");

}
        This displays the parserId as combobox properly. Keith, just wondering whether I go the right way this time? :roll:

Comment

linwei,

It looks to me like you've hit a limitation of JGoodiesBeanFormBuilder which is not as mature as the other 2 form builders that ship with Spring Rich.

If you were to use TableFormBuilder your code would be as follows:
          Code:
              TableFormBuilder formBuilder = new TableFormBuilder(formModel);

"parserId", null);

formBuilder.add("parserId", typeSelector);

}
          I use TableFormBuilder exclusively so I haven't hit this problem before -
          we'll need to improve JGoodiesBeanFormBuilder so that it offers more options for binding custom controls. There should certainly be no need to use a property editor for something so simple.

HTH

Ollie

Comment

Ollie,

In fact, there is no compelling reason for me to use "JGoodiesFormBuilder" ( just followed the richclientpetclinic demo ). I changed my code to use "TableFormBuilder", it works great!

Hmm, finally, I reduced my LOC from 100 to 10 :twisted:

Comment

:oops:

JGoodiesBeanFormBuilder is a weak illustration as is, and should be removed from the sample, replaced with the more extensive TableLayoutBuilder or GridBagLayoutBuilder.

Ollie: if you get a free tick, would you consider doing this? That'd be great! If we feel it is appropriate, we could also obsolete JGoodiesFormBuilder for now (until/if we see the need to build a better builder on top of FormLayout.) But at very least we should get it out of the sample as a best practice, it's really only usable in simple situations...

Keith

Comment

Keith,

I'm happy to switch everthing over to TableFormBuilder I'll probably do it when I get home tonight or tomorow.

As far as obsoleting JGoodiesFormBuilder goes I'd be happy to see the back of it. I find it a real pain trying to work out the colspecs to pass into the FormLayout in fact that's why I wrote TableFormBuilder.

What builders are people using?

Ollie

Comment

one suggestion:

I think for a new user like me could possibly run into to same issue as me on how to use a cumstom component as bean property editor. Would it be help if the petclinic sample can also show how to use SwingFormModel.createXXXX, together with TableFormBuilder.add(property, JComponent ).

I am really considering maybe I can make some simple contribution to this project. As my daily work is highly depend on Springframework and Springrc now, I might could help in some way to find/fix bugs, or improve/implement some aspects. Could and how can I make contribution, springrc team?

Comment

Sure, we happily accept contributions. Submitting patches via JIRA is one way to do it---specifically, let's discuss an enhancement you need, and if we a agree it's a good general fit for the framework, we can identify where it should go and you can submit a patch, which we'll work to integrate. People are already doing this now: I still have official docking integration on my plate! :-)

Comment

Code:
                          TableFormBuilder formBuilder = new TableFormBuilder(formModel);

"parserId", null);

formBuilder.add("parserId", typeSelector);

}
                      I want to include a combo box in a form as well. My form Model object doesnt have the 'createBoundComboBox()' method though. In my PreferencesForm class constructor i set my formmodel object like so:
                      Code:
                      	public PreferencesForm() {
                      		super(PreferencesForm.FORM_ID);
                      		prefBean = new PreferencesBean();
                      		setFormModel(FormModelHelper.createUnbufferedFormModel(prefBean));
                      		//setFormModel(FormModelHelper.createFormModel(prefBean));
                      	}
                      prefBean is my own bean class for eventually storing the information returned from the Form. It just contains class members, getters and setters and form rule validation code.

How can i instantiate my FormModel object to be able to use this 'createBoundComboBox()' method? Is their any other way to place a combo box in a form?

Comment

Apologies. I need to use the SwingBindingFactory class to be able to use that handy piece of functionality.

Comment

I have created a ComboBox in this way:

Code:
                          FormModel priceSourceFormModel = FormModelHelper.createFormModel(priceSource);
                          SwingBindingFactory bindingFactory = new SwingBindingFactory(priceSourceFormModel);
                          JComboBox comboBox = (JComboBox)bindingFactory.createBoundComboBox("source", new Object[] { PriceSourceHolder.EOD, PriceSourceHolder.HST_CLOSE, PriceSourceHolder.SETTLE, PriceSourceHolder.TRDPRC_1}).getControl();
                          comboBox.setMaximumSize(comboBox.getPreferredSize() );
                          toolBar.add(comboBox, 4);
                          The control displays ok. I want to check that the selection gets bound to the bean, so I added the following line to one of my executors (for a toolbar button):

Code:
                          System.out.println("result: " + PriceSourceHolder.getInstance().getSource());
                          It prints "null", no matter which value I've selected. How can I fix this so that the selection gets bound?

Thanks for your help guys!
                          Last edited by agent613; Feb 9th, 2006, 09:38 AM.

Comment

How to embed a combo box in a form displaying numeris values

I have to display dealerId list in combo box,but i dont know how to do it.

though with this code==>
                            formBuilder.addComboBox("selectedDealer","dealersL ist","name");
                            i am able to display the list of strings in combo box

but dont know aht to do with this code to disply list of Ids.I used
                            formBuilder.addComboBox("dealerId","delaersList"," name")

it gives BeanCreationException at name.

MyTableFormBuilder formBuilder = createFormBuilder();
                            formBuilder.setFormId( FORM_NAME );
                            formBuilder.addValidationMessageArea();
                            formBuilder.row();
                            formBuilder.add("indId");
                            formBuilder.addReadOnly("indName");
                            formBuilder.row();
                            formBuilder.addComboBox("selectedDealer","dealersL ist","name");
                            formBuilder.addReadOnly("dealerId");
                            formBuilder.row();
                            }

Please help me to solve this problem.

Comment

Working...
                            X