Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Spring or Spring-richclient support Plugin

Hi,

I am working on a project which integrates several modules. I'd like to make individual module as "plugin", idealy the application can auto "scan" and "load" the modules installed.

I can see that Eclipse Plugin provides a very nice and neat plugin support framework. I only have about one month experience on Spring and Springrichclient so far, so I am not quite clear whether "plugin" mechanism has been implemented/supported by Spring or Spring-richclient.

My problem here is mainly on the GUI part. I am using the dependency injection of Spring framework, and feel it's very easy to use on load in modules. But on the GUI, how can I define the "menu", "toolbar", "command" in individual modules, and how can I "inject" these components to the global "menu", "toolbar", etc. I need some way to auto "scan" the modules(plugins), and read in the "command-context.xml" for individual modules and inject the menu, menu item, commands, toolbar items, etc. to the application window.

Any suggestions or comments? Thanks a lot in advance.

linwei

Does the springrichclient has the conception like "extension point" or "contribution point", like Eclipse rcp? Can I use multiple "command-context.xml" and separate the user interface define to each "plugin" modules. thanks...

Comment

Spring Rich can be equated to a Eclipse RCP lite: a lot of the power of Eclipse RCP, but considerably simpler, and considerably more focused on enterprise apps.

We don't have a full-blown plugin model--we leverage the Spring container for plugging in various constructs such as views.

So in a sense, if each of your different modules involved a related set of use cases---you will be able to capture them as one or more rich client "page descriptors", where a page descriptor defines a template or configuration for a single application page (to be displayed on a window) supporting a single "logical task" -- with multiple views/editors displayable for interaction/editing on that page. The user will be able to switch pages, or open new pages in new windows. Views will also have their own local toolbars some day, allowing for custom local actions unique to a particular view.

The command framework also provides an API where commands can be added/removed from any command group at runtime, allowing you to change existing "command bars" when events occur.

As we mature in these areas, we'll want to provide more out-of-the-box support for stuff like this. We had to get the building blocks first :-)

Comment

You may also want to take a look at this thread: http://forum.springframework.org/showthread.php?t=10657
        Last edited by robyn; May 14th, 2006, 11:17 AM.

Comment

keith,

Thanks for your suggestion of using multiple pages to represent individual modules. But after I browsed through the rcp code, I can not come out with a clear clue how can I implement "multiple pages". I can see there are certain discussion and examples on showing multiple viewer per page, but can't find example on how to use multiple pages per application.

Several questions I am not clear:

* How can multiple pages defined? Is it through the context xml configuration file same as views? Or, current it should be programaticly?
          * If I defined more pages, do I need to register them into somewhere? Or it is automaticly be "scanned" and added to registry?
          * On the GUI, how the user switch between pages? Is it the same as the multiple-views can be added in "windowMenu" bean in the xml configuration? Or, I need to implement the menuitem/command myself?
          * Can I define different or additional command in toolbar and menu for each page through the context xml file? Or should them be added programmaticly?

I think an example on multiple pages is very helpful.

I really appreciate your helps.

Comment

Could somebody help me on my previous questions? ( Or I didn't write my questions clear? )

Comment

* How can multiple pages defined? Is it through the context xml configuration file same as views? Or, current it should be programaticly?
              This is under development and not ready for showtime. I know Jim Moore and rest of richclient time is working on it but not finished.

Amad

Comment

I don't understand why we have multiple windows, pages and views -i it is enough that we have
                more windows and more views - layout (eclipse perscpective) are only state of views

regards

Comment

snpe,

I am actually not greedy on "multi-pages" -- The problem I am seeking solution is to give individual modules separated tool bar/ menu bar / message source / rule source, etc...

Comment

Working...
                  X