Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snpe
    Hello David,
    If I use JIDE for open source project cna I get source code for JIDE - source is important for me for debuging

regards
    We just gave away single developer license for free for open source project. Source code is not included in single developer license. I understand source code is very handy when debugging. However you may not really need it. JIDE Docking Framework has been there for almost two years. Thousands of people beat on it every day, so it's quite stable. It has the richest feature set among all dockable window implementations. Plus our timely support, you probably won't find you really need to debug our code.

Just like Keith mentioned in his post, "it's all about choice". Saying that we have the richest feature doesn't necessarily mean you should choose us. We are glad to see other alternatives - for example, look at how many dockable windows implementations C#/.NET world has. You just need to choose the right solution for your project.

Regards,

Comment

Question regarding JIDE and Spring RCP

Hi guys

I just looked through this thread since I will most likely use spring rcp and JIDE for a commercial product. There are som specific features Im after, which are:

1. Slide in panels (like intellij). does JIDE support this
      2. Remainder popup (which I've seen that JIDE support with your components)
      3. Plugin possibilities. Are the any plans to implement JSR 198 for spring rcp?

Another question, which is more of a architectural nature. The actions taken in my application is more or less always controlled by the users selection. That is a selection in a JTree may affect more then one other panel. So the question is how do you guys recommend implementing selection between panel like this. Keep in mind that the application will have to support the customer adding their own panels at will. Are there any preferred "selection model" design pattern that you can recommend.

Regards

Magnus

P:s Thanks for Spring/Spring rcp it's great. Are there any possibilities to book a course where a core developer can come up to Sweden and hold it for say between 10 to 20 developers?

Comment

Magnus,

I've released some code that aims at integrating some aspects of the JIDE product with Spring RCP. It's mainly based on a multiview implementation using JIDE's docking framework. Here's the link to the confluence page that mentions it and gives the link to the java.net project. The project also contains an example application that maybe helpful.

http://opensource2.atlassian.com/con...workExtensions

Your first two questions seem to be asking about specific components. Spring RCP dosen't really aim at providing components but it's not at all hard to use jide components within a spring rcp application.

Your third question open's an interesting topic. I've been wanting to find the time to look into some of the available plugin solutions. For example, the recent refactoring of eclipse to use an implementation of the OSGi standard should mean that a lot of the functionality there is seperated from the windowing toolkit allowing for reuse in a swing app. I've also seen mention of a Spring and OSGi integration project on these forums, so that whole idea is interesting to me.

Not sure exactly what you're getting at with your final question but I'll take a stab at it. Do you mean, for example, when a node is selected in a tree based view another view (or multiple views) will change their content? If so, I use an event based system for that. I actually use another open source project called the event listener framework, or ELF. Conceptually it's an extension of the classic observer pattern but using an event manager as a mediator to allow no coupling between the publisher and subscriber. The Spring application context also provides an event publishing mechanism but I find the functionality provided by ELF very useful.

Jonny

Originally posted by magpor
        Hi guys

I just looked through this thread since I will most likely use spring rcp and JIDE for a commercial product. There are som specific features Im after, which are:

1. Slide in panels (like intellij). does JIDE support this
        2. Remainder popup (which I've seen that JIDE support with your components)
        3. Plugin possibilities. Are the any plans to implement JSR 198 for spring rcp?

Another question, which is more of a architectural nature. The actions taken in my application is more or less always controlled by the users selection. That is a selection in a JTree may affect more then one other panel. So the question is how do you guys recommend implementing selection between panel like this. Keep in mind that the application will have to support the customer adding their own panels at will. Are there any preferred "selection model" design pattern that you can recommend.

Regards

Magnus

P:s Thanks for Spring/Spring rcp it's great. Are there any possibilities to book a course where a core developer can come up to Sweden and hold it for say between 10 to 20 developers?

Comment

Hi jwray

Thx for your answers. Yes ELF looks good event though I have something simular implemented allready. The plugin possibilities are something I need quit soon so I would be intereseted at looking into it.

Again thx

Magnus

Comment

Working...
          X