Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple Views and Editors

Hi Keith,

I see some activity in cvs regarding support for multiple views per page. I was wondering if it is ready to be used and if it is, is there any example ?

Also I saw your posts regarding Editors and sounds like a great idea, are you planning to go ahead with this. Currently I mange all the tree selection and notification to editors my self and really don't like doing it this way as there is not standard way of doing that. Aslo my editors components are JPanels, I have adapted the PageApplicationDialog approach and created PageApplicationPanel which is backed by NestFormModel. But as control is JPanel focus listener stuff doesn't work.

Amad

Amad,

We're getting there. We have the application model -- the sets of interfaces and interactions (application, application window, application page, page descriptor, page layout builder, view, view descriptor, view pane) to make this happen -- down pat. The editor concept is still being flushed out, but I am proceeding with this. Snpe's docking work should help speed the process of getting to multiple views/editors per page up considerably.

Keith

Comment

BTW, yes, the goal is to have Petclinic multi-view/editor per page enabled ASAP. Ideally I'd like a "simple" no-docking version and a "high-end" docking version, integrating InfoNode, JIDE, or flexdock (or all three what the hell.) By version, I mean it should be easy to switch them out - through configuration.

Comment

docking window is finish for now - I have had little problem with maximize any tab when I have more parts screen (RootWindow in infonode) - I have to patch infonode and new version is up

I try flexdock, but it have less features than infonode and JIDE is comercial and I don't know can we try it

regards

Comment

Again snpe, good stuff man :wink:

Comment

Snpe,

Great work. Do you mind if I take this and officially integrate it into the framework? I will likely make some design tweaks / organization as I must consider pluggabilty and alignment with our future goals, but I think this will be a great jumpstart...

Thanks again - keith

Comment

I agree - license for infonode is GPL and I set your license (apache) for now - is it compatible ?

Comment

Kieth,

I believe you have been working on multiple views and editor stuff, is it a point where i can use it?

Amad

Comment

Any updates Keith. Also i see you are doing some work to integerate JIDE? Is JIDE available under GPL?

Comment

Amad,

Our goals are to:

1. Finish the page/view/editor interfaces and default implementations -- I'm still working here, making progress, but not ready to show yet. Petclinic will be updated immediately after these features are ready for use--I fully attend to market the hell out of these new features once they're ready...

2. Take InfoNode, FlexDock, and JIDE integration (the first two we have prototypes for courtesy of snpe and Claudio, the latter is a work in progress: the JIDE guys (David and crew) are putting this together), and extract out a 'common appoach' to integrating these windowing systems.

3. Provide "official integration" for each of the above--this should be great from a end user POV: "it's all about choice". We want to make docking completely pluggable (FlexDock free up to JIDE commercial, but likely most feature-rich.)

I had a nice conversation with David, the founder of JIDE software today. His team is working with us on official JIDE integration (which will become part of Spring Rich as a support package, just like Hibernate integration is part of core Spring). This includes their docking system and their action framework (which turns out, can build directly on our command framework as it's more about L&F ("the view side"), rather than the controller side.)

Best,

Keith

Comment

Great, I am sorry Keith if I sounded too demanding to ask for updates. I just can't wait...

Also I just can't apprecaite your work here enough. This stuff is really really great!

Thanks

Amad

Comment

Hi afida,

We don't plan to open source JIDE in the near future. Unfortunately we still depend on it to provide revenue for our company. Maybe one day we will. If you use JIDE in a commercial project, we still wish you could pay for it. However as I mentioned in JavaLobby website, if you need JIDE for an open source project, we have no problem letting you use JIDE for free. Just send an email to [email protected] and ask about it.

Thanks.

-David

Comment

Thanks David,

For my current project we won't be able to afford JIDE so we will choose from one of the open source projects. The main reason is budget and this project is a new project and more like a proof of concept type. But I understand your need for revenue and shouldn't give it out for free for commercial products.

Amad

Comment

Hello David,
                            If I use JIDE for open source project cna I get source code for JIDE - source is important for me for debuging

regards

Comment

Originally posted by afida
                              Thanks David,

For my current project we won't be able to afford JIDE so we will choose from one of the open source projects. The main reason is budget and this project is a new project and more like a proof of concept type. But I understand your need for revenue and shouldn't give it out for free for commercial products.

Amad
                              For proof of concept, you can use our evaluation package - a full functioned package you can download for free from our website. Once it is proved to be working, you can then make the purchase when you have the budget. Just like we also spent money on software and tools, we really hoped 400 bucks is not a big deal for most of you.

Comment

Working...
                              X