4) incomplete documentations

so we can't promote it to our client.
    It's only a toy?

(provocation)

Read this thread: http://forum.springframework.org/showthread.php?t=21914

Comment

1) True
      2) http://opensource2.atlassian.com/pro...ing/browse/RCP

I am working on a maven2ization that might be accepted, here are some previews of it:
      3) http://users.telenet.be/geoffrey/tmp...ocs/index.html
      4) http://users.telenet.be/geoffrey/tmp...client/parent/

Comment

equals to WEB FLOW...
        same source Keith Donald.
        great programmer, no so great project manager...

Comment

Originally posted by mabo
          equals to WEB FLOW...
          same source Keith Donald.
          great programmer, no so great project manager...
          Keith is no longer leading: Ollie is, but both Keith and Ollie are part of the few people who have actually put a lot of work in this project. If you have great idea's how to improve the project: work them out and submit them. I did with the maven2ization and it looks like they might accept it.

Besides it's not efficient to write documentation and deal with newbie users when the code is still very volatile and not everything is worked out. Spring and Hibernate once started out like this too...

The way I saw it, I had 5 choices:
          - Avoid making a client framework and write and debug duplicated boilerplate code.
          - Write my own custom client framework (seen this: horrible on long term)
          - Contribute to eclipse-rcp (SWT is not my cup of tea...)
          - Contribute to swinglabs (differnt scope, might be handy to make some integration with spring-richclient here)
          - Contribute to spring-richclient

Notice "use ..." wasn't an option and still isn't I believe: none of the client frameworks are mature IMHO: changes will be needed.

Comment

good work ge0ffrey!

I agree with your vision, but my originals question is:
            can I adopt spring-rcp in a real world/commercial project?

For me, afther yours replies: NO.
            I sorry
            I'll look for somethinkelse...
            tancks

Comment

I'll look for somethinkelse...

I'll look for somethink else...
              After you research the other options out there post your findings. I am interested to see what you end up doing

Comment

The problem is: there aren't other options!

The ideas and the solutions under spring-rcp covers problemes that other frameworks don't care about.
                For example, differently from other rcp frameworck (aka Eclipse-RCP), spring-rcp give a very good solutions for integretions with a spring/j2ee applications.

We need this kind of project, but we need it use a professional lifecycle management like the springframework do.

...or we continue do webfrontend...

Comment

How can we help

This is how I see things:

Facts:
                  1. Spring-RC is a great concept
                  2. Basic functionality is elegant (Commands, Binding, Forms etc)
                  3. Basic functionality works for production apps
                  4. Good documentation not even close
                  5. Great programmers (Ollie,Keith, among others)
                  6. No serious and successful Open-source project can stay almost two years with out a release.
                  7. HIBERNATE AND SPRING DID NOT START LIKE THIS
                  8. Useless to point the finger on others, especially the talented people who had put hundreds of hours of their own time for the project.

My conclusions

There are people interested in the success of this project so as some body said donít tell me what the project can do for me, tell me what can I do for the project?

If no one from the team can answer last question, the conclusions would be radical: No leadership at all.

One more thing regarding conclusion, there is no leader with no time to build his leadership, as there is no programmers who live from air. It is time to put some money on this.
                  I can feel that these guys have the talent and would love to have the time to improve the code and reach the goals of the project. So why not some kind of Pay-pal donations or something to give them the needed time.

I put this on discussion because there are talented programmers but I am not one of them, I just want to make money out of it, at leas in my context I can see a lot of opportunities for this

Best regards.

Comment

Spring Rich Client and Spring Web Flow are not comparable; Spring Web Flow has had 5 releases to date, and is approaching 1.0 after only a year of development. SWF has been managed carefully, responsibly, and professionally from start to present day, and will stay that way in the future.

I am excited about the positive work Geoffrey, Ollie, and others in the community are doing. I sincerely look forward to seeing a community-driven Spring Rich release (in some form) available soon.

Sincerely,

Keith
                    Last edited by Keith Donald; Feb 28th, 2006, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Keith,

What is the position of the Interface21 developers - being the spring 'inventors' - on the Spring RCP project? To expand a bit: is it important to the core spring team, or should we consider spring as more of a server based thing?

Comment

Keith,
                        I admint that the spring web flow management is big a step forward on spring-rcp. I think it's weak on scheduled release plan.
                        It's a open source project and no one pretend fixed release date, but wath will arrive in RC1 over RC2 is important for users adopting strategy.
                        If I try PR1 and find it complete, then I see a PR2, 3, 4, 5... I need to know if the next is PR6 and why.
                        This is a minor problem!
                        Web flow is a great work.

Our problem is spring-rcp. If you or Ollie intregrate the documentations, some one else will continue yours great work for the comunity.

We need the ideas - architecture - vision and dircetions to follow.
                        Or it remains a toy.

Thanks

Comment

Interface21 itself is considering the options, but Interface21 itself has a finite number of resources, so it is not a given it can devote them to the Spring Rich project.

On a personal level, unfortunately, I simply cannot make time out of thin air. The SWF team is pushing hard Spring Web Flow 1.0, which we are in the middle of release preparations for now. Any time I have available to contribute back to Spring Rich is completely in my spare time, which I simply do not have much of.

I want nothing more than to see Spring Rich succeed; if I could go back in time I would've placed emphasis on documentation over features; trust me, I wish I could do that...

I hope you understand -

Keith

Comment

It's enougth form me, I'm satisfied.
                            I understand perfectly.
                            Good luck!

Comment

agreement

Originally posted by rcancino
                              This is how I see things:
                              1. Spring-RC is a great concept
                              2. Basic functionality is elegant (Commands, Binding, Forms etc)
                              3. Basic functionality works for production apps
                              4. Good documentation not even close
                              5. Great programmers (Ollie,Keith, among others)
                              6. No serious and successful Open-source project can stay almost two years with out a release.
                              7. HIBERNATE AND SPRING DID NOT START LIKE THIS
                              8. Useless to point the finger on others, especially the talented people who had put hundreds of hours of their own time for the project.
                              I think the same like you!!

My manager ask me why I estimate so many time for developing a swing framework for our application. I told him that Spring RCP isn't in the situation to use for production now
                              So, possible, if I told him I can much more faster when we donate some money to the spring rcp project ...
                              At this moment we have only 2-3 months to wait for starting devoping.

So what do the RCP developer think about this?

Comment

Working...
                              X