X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're partially right.

The main reason is the dependency on spring (instead of spring-cor etc specifically), I 'll fix that.

Another reason is that that report doesn't mention which dependencies are optional: required at compile time but only if some classes are used required at runtime: for example Javamail (you can't use spring without sending a mail).
    That report should mention that, I 'll post an issue at maven.

Comment

Originally posted by ge0ffrey
      that report doesn't mention which dependencies are optional:
      http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MPIR-11

Comment

Some of the dependencies spring-richtclient needs aren't in ibiblio, so I 've made a remote repository in my ${basedir} (untill I can put that online somewhere). Have you had this problem in acegi and how did you fix it?
        Made a new repo at http://acegisecurity.sourceforge.net/maven. You can easily add this under your project_home/htdocs directory on the shell.sourceforge.net server.

Is Spring (besides acegi) going the maven2 way (I noticed some project.xml's in their sources)?
        project.xml is Maven 1.x. pom.xml is Maven 2.x. I would not think Spring core will shift to Maven 2.x within the foreseeable future, due to the investment in the existing Ant-based build system.

Does spring have any conventions on their maven2 repositories?
        Carlos Sanchez would be the best person to ask. Carlos is a Maven developer, and also assists with Acegi Security's Maven build maintenance and initial migration. I know Carlos offered to assist the Spring team more to Maven 2.x on the developer list, but I don't recall there being any replies. If you do establish a Maven 2 build, you might consider running a nightly Maven build to publish to your project home page. We do this, which is why http://acegisecurity.org always reflects the latest CVS code. This is useful for the project team to see code coverage, demonstrate that the unit tests work to people who are having difficulty running them locally etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Alex
          If you do establish a Maven 2 build, you might consider running a nightly Maven build to publish to your project home page. We do this
          You got a public continuum up an running?
          If so, could spring-rich use it if the maven2ization would be accepted?
          I am using a company continuum for my company projects, but it's not accessible from the outside. It's easy and great with maven2 projects (haven't tested my older maven 1 and ant builds yet).

Comment

any update on this? I'd love to see some spring-rcp snapshots starting to get published regularly.

Comment

I 'll finish up petclinic this weekend and upload the beta site.
              Then the developpers can get a real look at it

Before snapshots can be released, the developpers (Ollie, Larry, Jan, ...) will have to approve of it, so probably some things will need to be adjusted. Afterwards I can release the first snapshots and put up a quick continuum to release snapshots weekly (if unit tests work) and upload the maven generated site too.
              I also believe that spring-rich should upgrade to spring 1.2.6 first, because it has a lot better dependency meta-data.

Comment

that's awesome ge0ffrey.

With how much work you put in, it's a shame you're not a committer yet.

Comment

I managed to build petclinic's jars and war, but they don't run yet because of some missing runtime dependencies, one runtime dependency apperently relying on spring-orm.

Comment

seriously....

ok, a month has gone by on this with no word on status. not that this is really suprising. we're now a good two years overdue for the promised "0.1" release. pathetic....

I'm a bit perplexed how this project can get *anything* done. I mean, geoffry is a community member that has put so much work into getting this project in a better state with little to no feedback from the core developers.

It's better for someone with passion to do work (and maybe be wrong), than to just do nothing. why not just start giving out commit access to anyone that's even remotely interested in working on this project just to get some shit done.

FYI, if spring-rich had a componetized codebase, i for one would be willing to dig in and extend pieces that need work. I just don't have time to learn the complete architecture to be productive.

Comment

Have you been following the developer mailing list? It's been active with the result of the Maven2 and CVS->SVN conversion effort, which has been a community team effort, which to my understanding is complete.

For the record, Spring Rich is fully run off the community, the "core developers" *are all* community members (volunteers). It would be professional to respect their volunteer efforts.

The mailing list is the best place for such questions--if you review the archives you will see a long set of threads discussing this effort. This is a forum for discussing user issues.

On the mailing list existing developers welcome people sincerely interested in contributing to the project.
                      Last edited by Keith Donald; Mar 17th, 2006, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wireframe
                        ok, a month has gone by on this with no word on status. not that this is really suprising. we're now a good two years overdue for the promised "0.1" release. pathetic....

I'm a bit perplexed how this project can get *anything* done. I mean, geoffry is a community member that has put so much work into getting this project in a better state with little to no feedback from the core developers.

It's better for someone with passion to do work (and maybe be wrong), than to just do nothing. why not just start giving out commit access to anyone that's even remotely interested in working on this project just to get some shit done.

FYI, if spring-rich had a componetized codebase, i for one would be willing to dig in and extend pieces that need work. I just don't have time to learn the complete architecture to be productive.
                        I find this ironic You mean it well, but you couldn't be farther from the thruth.

There has been a lot of activity about this subject on the developer list the last month.
                        I 've been accepted as a developer 2 weeks ago.
                        We 've already moved to subversion and maven2ized spring-richclient.

Currently I started a discussion on the develper list about the new site proposal. I am going to hold off a day or 2 before announcing the new site here and starting a similar discussion here, so the other developers have a chance of approving the site and updating it.
                        But there is nothing stopping you from joining the developer list and having a sneek peek

As for the modularization: the build process now supports it, but everything is currently in the support module so it can be moved out to different modules.
                        Don't wait to start helping out if you want to help, help now
                        Petclinic could use a lot more examples for example.

Comment

busy...

Well, I subscribe to the developer list and it has been busier over the last few weeks than ever. The project is definitely on a better track with this build. One could argue that with a few exceptions, the developers are not too active on this forum, everytime a "flame" is started here, it is Keith who comes to the rescue... That, unfortunately, gives a 'bad' impression (no offence Keith but you are very busy somewhere else on spring web)

By the way wireframe, have you checked the website?

http://spring-rich-c.sourceforge.net/index.html

It will now be published at least once a week until the Continuum process is setup... and that is better than most open-source projects, actually better than any that I know of...

I know it is sometimes frustrating and sometimes one would like a feature to be added (I have a few JIRA pending, and if they do not make it, I shall NOT be able to use a release of Spring RC (RCP193, RCP263 anyone???)). However giving everyone a commit right is not the way forward, you can modify the source code locally. If it is generic and documented then I assume that sooner or later (I'd like sooner), the JIRAs will be picked up and included...

Geoffrey, thanks for the amount of effort you have put in this build process, it is coming to fruition.

Regards

Benoit

Comment

This is all great news guys. I'm sorry to sound the "bringer of doom". I've been a spring-rcp user for quite some time and these forums are my primary source of info. It's unfortunate that all these changes have happened "under the covers".

Spring-RCP is a great framework, and although documentation is still severly lacking, I'm excited to hear that development is accelerating.

I'm still quite disturbed that the spring motto of "Release Early, Release Often", has been accepted so poorly. I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but what's the problem with getting *some* kind of release out the door?

and congratulations, geoffry on getting accepted as a developer. you deserve it.

Comment

Since there was mention of a continuum server running, what's the chance of getting snapshot's published to a public maven repository? I'd love to get rid of my personal public repo (http://maven.codecrate.com/spring-rcp/) since it's not always up to date.

If the spring-rcp dependency info is now in maven, this should make it extremely easy for projects (like mine) to continually integrate with the snapshot builds!

Comment

That's the plan: only we have to decide who's continuum server we take (still have to ask on the dev list).
                                Since the testcases are running in the mvn test (I fixed that last weekend), my next priority is a continuum server as I am to lazy to keep deploying the site each weekend manually.

Comment

Working...
                                X