Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can HTTPInvoker client be used outside of a web server?

Hi,

I have a web service running on an app server, but the SOAP overhead is not acceptable for some of the calls which return rather large amounts of data. Even the smaller calls have about 200ms overhead.

HTTPInvoker has been suggested as a more efficient method, however some of the clients of the service are not running on web/app servers.

Is it possible for a non-J2EE java application to make calls to an HTTPInvoker service?

Thanks,
    kalirion

For the client it doesn't matter, the server has to be a WebServer (i.e. tomcat, jetty or the like). For the client that can be any java client...

Comment

Great, thanks!

On other sites I saw statements like "HTTP invoker's one significant limitation is that it is offered only by the Spring framework. This means that both the client and the service applications must be implemented using Spring."

The web service runs on an app server (Sun App Server 8.1. Yeah, I know its ancient....) so that shouldn't be a problem.

Are there any tutorials/examples on how to use an http invoker client from a pojo context without j2ee involved? I'm assuming the spring jar needs to be included and some configs manually loaded (instead of setting things up using web.xml etc.)

Edit: Nevermind, this example should be enough

Thanks,
      kalirion
      Last edited by kalirion; May 4th, 2010, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Include the needed jars, create an applicationcontext.xml, load it and well you should be good to go... The only thing that is different is that you need to load the xml yourself instead of using the ContextLoaderLIstener/DispatcherServlet to load it for you...

Comment

Working...
        X