Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JMS Over SOAP ?

Hi all,

I am currently designing an application in which I want to use JMS to provide a messaging solution for a distributed application. The application has components interacting across networks (that is, through firewalls). As for my knowledge, JMS cannot be used over firewalls. So I thought of using JMS over SOAP for this purpose, but couldn't find any helpful information in this regard, except ESBs. Do I have to use a ESB for this? Is there any other way to use JMS over SOAP, or to use JMS through firewalls ?

Thanks !

JMS is not a transport protocol, it's an API. Therefore your question doesn't make sense. It depends on your JMS implementation what transports are used and supported.

Comment

Oh. I am hoping to use ActiveMQ. I forgot to mention that.

Comment

ActiveMQ supports many transport protocols: check this page. One of them is HTTP(S), which will allow you to go through firewalls.
        Notice, BTW, that SOAP isn't a transport protocol either and doesn't necessarily imply the use of HTTP: so 'JMS over SOAP', like you mentioned, really doesn't exist. ActiveMQ does offer a REST interface to send or receive messages, however.

Comment

Thanks a lot Joris, that solved my problem !!! All I wanted was a way to use ActiveMQ through firewalls.

Comment

BTW, will it add a significant performance overhead if I use HTTP Tunneling ? (If the payload is not so small).

Comment

Working...
            X