Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WebSphere 6.1 + Default JMS Provider - Hanging WebSphere

Hello,

I am using the default WebSphere MQ provider as jndi resources in WebSphere 6.1 and Spring 2.0.5. The application seems to start properly, but when stopping/restarting, it tends to hang. Here is the output received:

Code:
    [8/9/07 22:31:12:449 GMT] 00000052 ApplicationMg A   WSVR0217I: Stopping application: ElixirConnEar
    [8/9/07 22:31:12:465 GMT] 00000052 WebApp        A   SRVE0180I: [ElixirConnEar#ElixirConnWeb.war] [/elixirconn] [Servlet.LOG]: Destroying Spring FrameworkServlet 'elixirconn'
    [8/9/07 22:31:12:465 GMT] 00000052 SystemOut     O 22:31:12,465 INFO  [org.springframework.web.context.support.XmlWebApplicationContext] Closing [email protected]7fee7fee: display name [WebApplicationContext for namespace 'elixirconn-servlet']; startup date [Thu Aug 09 22:28:53 GMT 2007]; parent: [email protected]5c4c5c4c
    [8/9/07 22:31:12:465 GMT] 00000052 SystemOut     O 22:31:12,465 INFO  [org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory] Destroying singletons in org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory@28042804: defining beans [propertyConfigurer,viewResolver,testOutputController,viewNameController,urlMapping]; parent: org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory@5d365d36
    [8/9/07 22:31:12:465 GMT] 00000052 ServletWrappe I   SRVE0253I: [ElixirConnEar] [/elixirconn] [elixirconn]: Destroy successful.
    [8/9/07 22:31:12:465 GMT] 00000052 WebApp        A   SRVE0180I: [ElixirConnEar#ElixirConnWeb.war] [/elixirconn] [Servlet.LOG]: Closing Spring root WebApplicationContext
    [8/9/07 22:31:12:465 GMT] 00000052 SystemOut     O 22:31:12,465 INFO  [org.springframework.web.context.support.XmlWebApplicationContext] Closing [email protected]5c4c5c4c: display name [Root WebApplicationContext]; startup date [Thu Aug 09 22:28:50 GMT 2007]; root of context hierarchy
    [8/9/07 22:31:12:496 GMT] 00000052 SystemOut     O 22:31:12,496 INFO  [org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory] Destroying singletons in org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory@5d365d36: defining beans [propertyConfigurer,dataSource,sessionFactory,genericDao,outputControlDao,outputFileProducer,outputFileMessageListener,org.springframework.jms.listener.DefaultMessageListenerContainer,jmsTemplate,jmsDestination,jmsFactory,taskExecutor,outputWorkflow,outputFileBuilder]; root of factory hierarchy
    You can see that the 'Destroy Successful' message for the WebApplicationContext never gets displayed.

Code:
    <bean id="outputFileMessageListener" class="com.bc.elixirconn.mq.OutputFileMessageListener">
    	</bean>

<bean class="org.springframework.jms.listener.DefaultMessageListenerContainer">
    		<property name="concurrentConsumers" value="5" />
    		<property name="connectionFactory" ref="jmsFactory" />
    		<property name="destination" ref="jmsDestination" />
    		<property name="messageListener" ref="outputFileMessageListener" />
    		<property name="taskExecutor" ref="taskExecutor" />
    	</bean>

<bean id="jmsTemplate" class="org.springframework.jms.core.JmsTemplate">
    		<property name="connectionFactory" ref="jmsFactory" /> 
    		<property name="defaultDestination" ref="jmsDestination" />
    	</bean>

<jee:jndi-lookup id="jmsDestination" jndi-name="jms/ElixirConnQueue" resource-ref="false" />
    	<jee:jndi-lookup id="jmsFactory" jndi-name="jms/ElixirConnQueueFactory" resource-ref="false" />

<bean id="taskExecutor" class="org.springframework.scheduling.commonj.WorkManagerTaskExecutor">
    		<property name="workManagerName" value="wm/default" />
    		<property name="resourceRef" value="false" />
    	</bean>
    Any light you could shine on this subject would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Update

I've let the code just run this is the output that I received
    Code:
    [8/9/07 22:43:41:348 GMT] 00000027 ThreadMonitor W   WSVR0605W: Thread "WorkManager.DefaultWorkManager : 6" (0000002c) has been active for 749336 milliseconds and may be hung.  There is/are 1 thread(s) in total in the server that may be hung.
    [8/9/07 22:43:41:348 GMT] 00000027 ThreadMonitor W   WSVR0605W: Thread "SoapConnectorThreadPool : 10" (00000052) has been active for 748915 milliseconds and may be hung.  There is/are 2 thread(s) in total in the server that may be hung.

Comment

I've encoutered the same exact issue that you have. I've narrowed it down to this method:

org.springframework.jms.listener.DefaultMessageLis tenerContainer#destroyListener.

it forces the thread to wait, though I'm not sure what for (possibly for a message). Either way, given the lack of time I have I simply extended the DefaultMessageListenerContainer and implemented an empty 'destroyListener' method. Clearly, this is not the best solution, but it gets the job done. I'm using a topic queue for a basic, internal cache flush system so I'm not worried about message durability.

Either way, it seems that connections are closed in the super class:

org.springframework.jms.listener.AbstractMessageLi stenerContainer#shutdown().

If you figure out a true fix please let me know. Hopefully this will help you.

Comment

Hi, we ran into the same problem. Look at this page http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview...id=swg1PK43397, it tells that the problem lies in Websphere, IBM realized the deadlock too, they have released a fix for this misbehaviour.

We haven't tried to install the fix yet, because i got the jvm thread dumps indicating the deadlock today.

Hope that helps. Sorry for the bad English.

Comment

IBM link

Hello,

Having the same issue, can you re-type the IBM link as Im getting a 404 error.

John

Comment

Have you tried this against Spring 2.5 or one of the recent Spring 2.0.8 snapshots? We've fixed a related issue there:

http://jira.springframework.org/browse/SPR-4124

This revision uses a shared lock for closing sessions and connections now, in order to avoid a deadlock within the JMS resources.

The issue was originally reported against Oracle AQ, but might apply to other JMS providers as well...

Juergen

Comment

Success. Yes the 2.5 build fixed the issue.

Thanks

Peter

Comment

Working...
              X