Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HttpInvoker and Dates timezone issue

Hi,

I have two machines setup. the machines are identical, same hardware, jvm, tomcat and os. The first machine runs a web application that gets data from another web application running on the second machine. The web apps use springs HttpInvoker mechanism.

What I have noticed is that any dates transferred between the web apps have a different timezone. They start off in BST on the seconds machine and then end up in GMT on the first machine.

If i type date in the shell of both machines they both report the time in BST.

Any one got any ideas?

Do you refer to java.util.Date instances? Just wondering, because Date does not have timezone information. Could you provide more details?

Regards,
    Andreas

Comment

Yes i mean java.util.Date instances. Im connected to both webapps via a debugger which uses the dates toString() method to show the dates.

Comment

I would not rely on Date.toString(). Important is, that Date.getTime() yields the same value for both Date instances. Is that the case?

Comment

Yes the both report the same value. So i guess its down to the way im displaying them in the html interface to web app 1

Comment

Originally posted by jamin View Post
            Yes the both report the same value. So i guess its down to the way im displaying them in the html interface to web app 1
            Yes, I think so. If you really need timezone information I would use Calendar instead (or some class of a more usable date library). If it's just about displaying I would use an appropriate DateFormat.

Regards,
            Andreas

Comment

From the Date class..

/**
              * Save the state of this object to a stream (i.e., serialize it).
              * @serialData The value returned by <code>getTime()</code>
              * is emitted (long). This represents the offset from
              * January 1, 1970, 00:00:00 GMT in milliseconds.
              */
              private void writeObject(ObjectOutputStream s)
              throws IOException
              {
              s.writeLong(getTimeImpl());
              }

This explains the change in zone.

Comment

Working...
              X