X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Initial Build Failure

I am new to Spring. When I tried to do the initial build following these directions http://blog.springsource.com/2009/03...ding-spring-3/, I got

WARNING: Retried connection 6 times, which exceeds the maximum retry count of 5
    [ivy:cachepath]
    [ivy:cachepath] :: problems summary ::
    [ivy:cachepath] :::: WARNINGS
    [ivy:cachepath] module not found: com.google.jarjar#com.springsource.com.tonicsystem s.jarjar;1.0.0
    [ivy:cachepath] ==== local-external-repository: tried
    [ivy:cachepath] /tmp/local-repository/com.google.jarjar/com.springsource.com.tonicsystems.jarjar/1.0.0/ivy-1.0.0.xml
    [ivy:cachepath] ==== bundle-external-repository: tried
    [ivy:cachepath] s3://repository.springsource.com/ivy/bundles/external/com.google.jarjar/com.springsource.com.tonicsystems.jarjar/1.0.0/ivy-1.0.0.xml
    [ivy:cachepath] ==== library-external-repository: tried
    [ivy:cachepath] s3://repository.springsource.com/ivy/libraries/external/com.google.jarjar/com.springsource.com.tonicsystems.jarjar/1.0.0/ivy-1.0.0.xml
    [ivy:cachepath] ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    [ivy:cachepath] :: UNRESOLVED DEPENDENCIES ::
    [ivy:cachepath] :: com.google.jarjar#com.springsource.com.tonicsystem s.jarjar;1.0.0: not found
    [ivy:cachepath] :: USE VERBOSE OR DEBUG MESSAGE LEVEL FOR MORE DETAILS
    [subant] Leaving directory: /home/gabriel/spring-framework/org.springframework.asm

BUILD FAILED
    /home/gabriel/spring-framework/spring-build/multi-bundle/artifact.xml:45: The following error occurred while executing this line:
    /home/gabriel/spring-framework/spring-build/multi-bundle/common.xml:71: The following error occurred while executing this line:
    /home/gabriel/spring-framework/org.springframework.asm/build.xml:45: impossible to resolve dependencies:
    resolve failed - see output for details
    Can anyone help.

Thank you

Originally posted by gyanovsky View Post
    I am new to Spring. When I tried to do the initial build following these directions http://blog.springsource.com/2009/03...ding-spring-3/, I got

WARNING: Retried connection 6 times, which exceeds the maximum retry count of 5
    [ivy:cachepath] :: problems summary ::
    [ivy:cachepath] :::: WARNINGS
    [ivy:cachepath] module not found: com.google.jarjar#com.springsource.com.tonicsystem s.jarjar;1.0.0
    [ivy:cachepath] ==== local-external-repository: tried
    [ivy:cachepath] /tmp/local-repository/com.google.jarjar/com.springsource.com.tonicsystems.jarjar/1.0.0/ivy-1.0.0.xml
    [ivy:cachepath] ==== bundle-external-repository: tried
    [ivy:cachepath] s3://repository.springsource.com/ivy/bundles/external/com.google.jarjar/com.springsource.com.tonicsystems.jarjar/1.0.0/ivy-1.0.0.xml
    [ivy:cachepath] ==== library-external-repository: tried
    [ivy:cachepath] s3://repository.springsource.com/ivy/libraries/external/com.google.jarjar/com.springsource.com.tonicsystems.jarjar/1.0.0/ivy-1.0.0.xml
    [ivy:cachepath] :: UNRESOLVED DEPENDENCIES ::
    [ivy:cachepath] :: com.google.jarjar#com.springsource.com.tonicsystem s.jarjar;1.0.0: not found
    [ivy:cachepath] :: USE VERBOSE OR DEBUG MESSAGE LEVEL FOR MORE DETAILS
    [subant] Leaving directory: /home/gabriel/spring-framework/org.springframework.asm

BUILD FAILED
    /home/gabriel/spring-framework/spring-build/multi-bundle/artifact.xml:45: The following error occurred while executing this line:
    /home/gabriel/spring-framework/spring-build/multi-bundle/common.xml:71: The following error occurred while executing this line:
    /home/gabriel/spring-framework/org.springframework.asm/build.xml:45: impossible to resolve dependencies:
    resolve failed - see output for details
    Can anyone help.

Thank you
    I just ran into the exact same thing. Do you recall how you resolved this missing dependency?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by gyanovsky View Post
      I am new to Spring. When I tried to do the initial build following these directions http://blog.springsource.com/2009/03...ding-spring-3/, ....
      If you are new to Spring I would not recommend building the distribution from source and, in particular, I would not recommend trying to build an older version when newer versions are easily available. Visit the community download center and you will be able to retrieve already built versions of Spring 3.0 and the new Spring 3.1 milestone.

You can try following along with the recent Green Beans series of blog posts that are designed to give developers an overview of the basic fundamental approaches used in developing with Spring.

Adam FitzGerald
      SpringSource

Comment

Adam,

Thanks for the advice. Unlike the original poster, I'm not completely new to Spring, but this is the first time I've tried to build it, and have good reason for needing to do so. So, I'd like to figure out what's up with the ivy dependencies.

Thanks

Comment

Build failure

I am getting the following error while compiling. Can anyone help? Thanks

[junit] Testsuite: org.springframework.core.LocalVariableTableParamet erNameDiscovererTests
          [junit] Tests run: 11, Failures: 1, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.113 sec
          [junit]
          [junit] Testcase: testMemUsage(org.springframework.core.LocalVariabl eTableParameterNameDiscovererTests): FAILED
          [junit] Expected: <null> but was: [Ljava.lang.String;@164804
          [junit] junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: Expected: <null> but was: [Ljava.lang.String;@164804
          [junit] at org.springframework.core.LocalVariableTableParamet erNameDiscovererTests.testMemUsage(LocalVariableTa bleParameterNameDiscovererTests.java:202)
          [junit]
          [junit]
          [subant] Leaving directory: /home/SpringSource/spring-framework/org.springframework.core

BUILD FAILED
          /home/SpringSource/spring-framework/spring-build/multi-bundle/quality.xml:43: The following error occurred while executing this line:
          /home/SpringSource/spring-framework/spring-build/multi-bundle/common.xml:86: The following error occurred while executing this line:
          /home/SpringSource/spring-framework/spring-build/common/quality.xml:68: The following error occurred while executing this line:
          /home/SpringSource/spring-framework/spring-build/common/quality.xml:238: Tests failed
          Last edited by f.shantanu; Mar 13th, 2011, 01:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by f.shantanu View Post
            I am getting the following error while compiling. Can anyone help? Thanks

[junit] Testsuite: org.springframework.core.LocalVariableTableParamet erNameDiscovererTests
            [junit] Tests run: 11, Failures: 1, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.113 sec
            [junit]
            [junit] Testcase: testMemUsage(org.springframework.core.LocalVariabl eTableParameterNameDiscovererTests): FAILED
            [junit] Expected: <null> but was: [Ljava.lang.String;@164804
            [junit] junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: Expected: <null> but was: [Ljava.lang.String;@164804
            [junit] at org.springframework.core.LocalVariableTableParamet erNameDiscovererTests.testMemUsage(LocalVariableTa bleParameterNameDiscovererTests.java:202)
            [junit]
            [junit]
            [subant] Leaving directory: /home/SpringSource/spring-framework/org.springframework.core

BUILD FAILED
            /home/SpringSource/spring-framework/spring-build/multi-bundle/quality.xml:43: The following error occurred while executing this line:
            /home/SpringSource/spring-framework/spring-build/multi-bundle/common.xml:86: The following error occurred while executing this line:
            /home/SpringSource/spring-framework/spring-build/common/quality.xml:68: The following error occurred while executing this line:
            /home/SpringSource/spring-framework/spring-build/common/quality.xml:238: Tests failed
            Same error +1.

Would anyone like to give some suggestions about this? TIA.

Comment

@gyanovsky, @dmlech:

Regarding the failure by Ivy to download jarjar, I just did the following on my own machine, which has normal connection to the internet (no VPN, no firewall, etc).

I already had a cached version of jarjar, so I moved it out of the way:
              Code:
              cbeams@anakata:~/Work/spring-framework/spring-framework>$ mv ivy-cache//repository/com.google.jarjar/com.springsource.com.tonicsystems.jarjar ivy-cache//repository/com.google.jarjar/com.springsource.com.tonicsystems.jarjar.BAK
              Then, simply ran `ant jar` to trigger downloading the now-missing dependency:
              Code:
              cbeams@anakata:~/Work/spring-framework/spring-framework>$ ant -f build-spring-framework/build.xml jar
              jarjar.init:
              [ivy:cachepath] :: Ivy 2.1.0 - 20090925235825 :: http://ant.apache.org/ivy/ ::
              [ivy:cachepath] :: loading settings :: file = /Users/cbeams/Work/spring-framework/spring-framework/spring-build/common/ivysettings.xml
              [ivy:cachepath] downloading s3://repository.springsource.com/ivy/bundles/external/com.google.jarjar/com.springsource.com.tonicsystems.jarjar/1.0.0/com.springsource.com.tonicsystems.jarjar-sources-1.0.0.jar ...
              [ivy:cachepath] ....
              [ivy:cachepath] .. (42kB)
              [ivy:cachepath]  (42kB)
              [ivy:cachepath] .. (0kB)
              [ivy:cachepath]  (0kB)
              [ivy:cachepath]         [SUCCESSFUL ] com.google.jarjar#com.springsource.com.tonicsystems.jarjar;1.0.0!com.springsource.com.tonicsystems.jarjar-sources.jar(src) (8645ms)
              [ivy:cachepath] downloading s3://repository.springsource.com/ivy/bundles/external/com.google.jarjar/com.springsource.com.tonicsystems.jarjar/1.0.0/com.springsource.com.tonicsystems.jarjar-1.0.0.jar ...
              [ivy:cachepath] ...
              [ivy:cachepath] ..
              [ivy:cachepath] ..... (110kB)
              [ivy:cachepath]  (110kB)
              [ivy:cachepath]         [SUCCESSFUL ] com.google.jarjar#com.springsource.com.tonicsystems.jarjar;1.0.0!com.springsource.com.tonicsystems.jarjar.jar (25903ms)
              [ivy:cachepath] downloading s3://repository.springsource.com/ivy/bundles/external/com.google.jarjar/com.springsource.com.tonicsystems.jarjar/1.0.0/license-1.0.0.txt ...
              [ivy:cachepath] . (11kB)
              [ivy:cachepath]  (11kB)
              [ivy:cachepath]         [SUCCESSFUL ] com.google.jarjar#com.springsource.com.tonicsystems.jarjar;1.0.0!license.txt(license) (5762ms)
              The point here is that the dependency does exist in the repositories configured by the build system and can be downloaded successfully. It is certainly suspicious that two unrelated people are running into the same issue, but my hypothesis remains the same: are you behind a firewall, or otherwise unable to access these files? If so, what happens if you try the build from outside that network?

Comment

@f.shantanu, @eric.,

This test passes every night on our CI server, and also passes locally all of us who build Spring on a daily basis while we work. Could you please post details about your environment? JVM vendor and version, etc.

For example, the following is my situation and it works perfectly well:
                Code:
                >$ uname -a
                Darwin anakata.local 10.6.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.6.0: Wed Nov 10 18:13:17 PST 2010; root:xnu-1504.9.26~3/RELEASE_I386 i386 i386

>$ ant -version
                Apache Ant version 1.7.1 compiled on June 27 2008

>$ java -version
                java version "1.6.0_22"
                Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_22-b04-307-10M3261)
                Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 17.1-b03-307, mixed mode)

>$ javac -version
                javac 1.6.0_22
                Thanks.

Comment

@Chris Beams,

Thanks for your reply, and here is mine:

Code:
                  $ uname -a
                  Linux coolrat 2.6.32-30-generic #59-Ubuntu SMP Tue Mar 1 21:30:46 UTC 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux
                  $ ant -version
                  Apache Ant version 1.7.1 compiled on September 8 2010
                  $ java -version
                  java version "1.6.0_20"
                  OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.9.7) (6b20-1.9.7-0ubuntu1~10.04.1)
                  OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 19.0-b09, mixed mode)
                  $ javac -version
                  javac 1.6.0_20

Comment

@eric. - thank you. see https://jira.springsource.org/browse/SPR-8078.

Comment

@f.shantanu, @eric. - the issue mentioned above is now resolved. Please update your sources and build again. If anything goes wrong, reopen the bug.

Comment

@Chris,
                        Thank you for your work. But there is another test failed:

Code:
                            [junit] Testsuite: org.springframework.http.converter.FormHttpMessageConverterTests
                            [junit] Tests run: 5, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Time elapsed: 0.4 sec
                            [junit] 
                            [junit] Testcase: writeMultipart(org.springframework.http.converter.FormHttpMessageConverterTests):	Caused an ERROR
                            [junit] expected:<[image/jpeg]> but was:<[application/octet-stream]>
                            [junit] 	at org.springframework.http.converter.FormHttpMessageConverterTests.writeMultipart(FormHttpMessageConverterTests.java:152)
                        It looks like the the default content type for jpeg file was not set correctly, but I failed to figure out it. How can I do about this?

BTW, I deem you're using maven to do the test, but I got something like the following when I perform the mvn test:
                        Code:
                        [INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        [ERROR] BUILD ERROR
                        [INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.

Missing:
                        ----------
                        1) org.springframework:spring-aop:jar:3.1.0.BUILD-SNAPSHOT

Try downloading the file manually from the project website.

Then, install it using the command: 
                              mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=org.springframework -DartifactId=spring-aop -Dversion=3.1.0.BUILD-SNAPSHOT -Dpackaging=jar -Dfile=/path/to/file

Alternatively, if you host your own repository you can deploy the file there: 
                              mvn deploy:deploy-file -DgroupId=org.springframework -DartifactId=spring-aop -Dversion=3.1.0.BUILD-SNAPSHOT -Dpackaging=jar -Dfile=/path/to/file -Durl=[url] -DrepositoryId=[id]

Path to dependency: 
                          	1) org.springframework:spring-web:jar:3.1.0.BUILD-SNAPSHOT
                          	2) org.springframework:spring-aop:jar:3.1.0.BUILD-SNAPSHOT
                        Would you like to give some advices on that? Thanks in advance.
                        Sorry for bothering since I'm not familiar with neither Maven nor Spring.

Comment

Originally posted by adam.fitzgerald View Post
                          If you are new to Spring I would not recommend building the distribution from source and, in particular, I would not recommend trying to build an older version when newer versions are easily available. Visit the community download center and you will be able to retrieve already built versions of Spring 3.0 and the new Spring 3.1 milestone.

You can try following along with the recent Green Beans series of blog posts that are designed to give developers an overview of the basic fundamental approaches used in developing with Spring.

Adam FitzGerald
                          SpringSource

Hi,
                          In community download page,spring 3 jar that is already built is not available. Please let us know Where can we find spring 3 jar direct download as I am facing several problems while building source downloaded from the community page.

kar.

Comment

@Chris,

Now I know the Maven error is a package dependency error after reading the Maven document, so I tried to build them in order: org.springframework.asm, org.springframework.core, org.springframework.beans.

The script is as follows:
                            Code:
                            #!/bin/sh

SPRING_FRAMEWORK_DIR=`pwd`
                            IVY_CACHE_REPO=$SPRING_FRAMEWORK_DIR/ivy-cache/repository
                            MAVEN_INSTALL="mvn install:install-file "
                            MAVEN_TEST="mvn test"

##asm
                            cd $SPRING_FRAMEWORK_DIR/org.springframework.asm

$MAVEN_INSTALL -DgroupId=com.google.code -DartifactId=jarjar -Dversion=1.0 -Dpackaging=jar -Dfile=$IVY_CACHE_REPO/com.google.jarjar/com.springsource.com.tonicsystems.jarjar/1.0.0/com.springsource.com.tonicsystems.jarjar-1.0.0.jar

$MAVEN_TEST

##core
                            cd $SPRING_FRAMEWORK_DIR/org.springframework.core

$MAVEN_INSTALL -DgroupId=org.springframework -DartifactId=spring-asm -Dversion=3.1.0.BUILD-SNAPSHOT -Dpackaging=jar -Dfile=$SPRING_FRAMEWORK_DIR/org.springframework.asm/target/spring-asm-3.1.0.BUILD-SNAPSHOT-jarjar.jar

$MAVEN_TEST

##beans
                            cd $SPRING_FRAMEWORK_DIR/org.springframework.beans

$MAVEN_INSTALL -DgroupId=org.springframework -DartifactId=spring-core -Dversion=3.1.0.BUILD-SNAPSHOT -Dpackaging=jar -Dfile=../org.springframework.core/target/artifacts/org.springframework.core.jar

$MAVEN_TEST
                            Here is the error message while building beans:
                            Code:
                            $ mvn test
                            [INFO] Scanning for projects...
                            [INFO] Building Unnamed - org.springframework:spring-beans:jar:3.1.0.BUILD-SNAPSHOT
                            [INFO]    task-segment: [test]
                            [INFO] [resources:resources {execution: default-resources}]
                            [WARNING] Using platform encoding (UTF-8 actually) to copy filtered resources, i.e. build is platform dependent!
                            [INFO] Copying 21 resources
                            [INFO] [compiler:compile {execution: default-compile}]
                            [INFO] Nothing to compile - all classes are up to date
                            [INFO] [resources:testResources {execution: default-testResources}]
                            [WARNING] Using platform encoding (UTF-8 actually) to copy filtered resources, i.e. build is platform dependent!
                            [INFO] Copying 50 resources
                            [INFO] [compiler:testCompile {execution: default-testCompile}]
                            [INFO] Nothing to compile - all classes are up to date
                            [INFO] [surefire:test {execution: default-test}]
                            [INFO] Surefire report directory: /home/sunny/workshop/codes_in_git/spring-framework/org.springframework.beans/target/surefire-reports

-------------------------------------------------------
                             T E S T S
                            -------------------------------------------------------
                            Running org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.BeanNameGenerationTests
                            Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 0.021 sec <<< FAILURE!
                            Running org.springframework.beans.factory.access.SingletonBeanFactoryLocatorTests
                            Tests run: 2, Failures: 0, Errors: 2, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 0.021 sec <<< FAILURE!

Tests run: 831, Failures: 5, Errors: 649, Skipped: 5

The purpose I'm using Maven is to do the individual Junit test to debug the framework which got error mentioned previously. Is there anything wrong with my operations or my build environment?

Meanwhile, my way on checking the dependencies is inefficient, would you mind to tell something about the daily-build? or any document related in the web? TIA.

Any other suggestions will also be appreciated. Thanks.

Comment

Downloading Spring 3

Originally posted by ksalic View Post
                              Hi,
                              In community download page,spring 3 jar that is already built is not available. Please let us know Where can we find spring 3 jar direct download as I am facing several problems while building source downloaded from the community page.

kar.
                              Hi ksalic,

I just tested this and the download files that are at the community download center worked just fine for me. Specifically I was able to download Spring 3.0.5 which is the latest GA release.

If you continue to have problems, please post your OS and browser version details here so that we can see if there is a problem with your environment.

Regards
                              Adam

Adam FitzGerald
                              SpringSource

Comment

Working...
                              X