Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring 3.0 Books

Hi All,

Not sure whether this is right forum for this type of post or not. Can anyone refer me books for spring 3.0 framework I have started reading spring reference from springsource but it is not working for me.

I have a mediator level knowledge of java programming. I have gone through spring IOC container chapter from Spring source reference but it is too lengthy and in the beginning I need some basic information so that with it I can just start and later on I can refer spring reference. I am also searching for book on Hibernate 3.2 or later If any one have any suggestion please reply.

Thanks,
    Shariq

Hello Shariq

Soon the follow book should be release it, according to Apress in June 2010, covering well Spring 3.0.0 and working with other powerful frameworks
    Spring Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach, Second Edition

Now if you want right now learn to work with Spring 3.0.0 you can read
    Spring Enterprise Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach

HTH

Comment

shariq,

Spring in action - manning. written by craig walls is the best book ever written for spring. I have atleast 6 different books for spring from different authors but none of them were ever worth reading except spring in action. You will love the way he takes you through all the concepts.
      One very interesting fact about this book is that you get online help from author he has his own forum and most of spring professionals recommend this book. give it a reading.
      Next to this book I would say Beginning Spring 2 from Novice to Professional.
      All the other books were written in hurry.

Comment

Spring in action - manning.
        I have read both book, the first and second edition,
        the first I didn't like it in all, the second is much better but,
        the second edition not cover Spring 3.0.0 and If I don't bad remember, annotations are not covered too

All the other books were written in hurry.
        Spring Recipes not my friend, is the best book written , excellent cover about AOP among other themes

Comment

yes, thats right my friend. can i ask you something, isin't spring annotation too much confusing. Spring in action doesn't cover spring 3.0 or but a few topics like transaction manager annotation, security as well as db topics are covered with annotation Author is providing resources online as well. But even spring certification providers themselves aren't providing spring 3.0 isint? When i was searching for sprng resources I did went on official site first ( http://www.springsource.com/training...ngprofessional ) to see what they say about it. And I could see they are providing 2.5.
          and about the book you mentioned i will certainly have a look at it my friend.

Comment

isin't spring annotation too much confusing
            annotation are easy, in which way is confusing?,
            I don't understand your context

...topics are covered with annotation Author is providing resources online as well.
            I guess that would be pretty cool such approach, but a physical book should be read it without strictly dependency with online resources, to complement the material I think

But even spring certification providers themselves aren't providing spring 3.0 isint?
            The original post talk about of a book, nothing about of certification

and about the book you mentioned i will certainly have a look at it my friend.
            Enjoy it

BTW you said
            I have at least 6 different books for spring from different authors
            Can you list them?

Best Regards!

Comment

Apress Beginning Spring Novice to professional
              Professional Java Development with spring framework - Rod johnson
              Spring_reference.pdf(From spring Documentation)
              Agile Java Development with Spring, Hibernate & Eclipse.
              Spring : A Developer's Notebook -Justin Gehtland
              and My favorite Spring in action.
              plus New Addition is your recommended. Spring Ent Recipes A problem Solution approach
              I did had a look at the book you recommended. I still believe Spring in action is good book, reasons:-
              - In Your book - Who This Book Is For Section it states "This book assumes that you have some familiarity with Spring"
              - Tries to cover almost everything of spring in chapter 1
              - I couldn't believe I was unable to find anything about spring-web like spring tag lib, about controller types
              Chapter 1: Introduction to Spring
              ■ Chapter 2: What’s New in Spring 3.0?
              ■ Chapter 3: Data Access
              ■ Chapter 4: Transaction Management in Spring
              ■ Chapter 5: EJB, Spring Remoting, and Web Services
              ■ Chapter 6: Spring in the Enterprise
              ■ Chapter 7: Messaging
              ■ Chapter 8: Spring Integration
              ■ Chapter 9: Spring Batch
              ■ Chapter 10: Distributed Spring
              ■ Chapter 11: jBPM
              ■ Chapter 12: OSGi and Spring

Could you find it??? Due to its vastness I believe that Author "walls" presented it in a good way. And If you are speaking about Spring 3.5 I would say that using annotation and automatic detection will make your code less reusable.
              Thats it.
              Last edited by mujahed; May 5th, 2010, 09:36 AM. Reason: Misspelled

Comment

Hello mujahed

well, by parts

I still believe Spring in action is good book,
                Just to be clear to you and other fans for such book series.

When I started this pretty cool journey to work with Spring, my first book was Spring in Action 1rst edition, until now I think that such book was useless for a beginner like me in such days, AOP chapter impossible to me to be understand it, lack of explanation of some parts, I read all the book but nothing useful to me, to be honest, I only understood the two or tree first chapters.

From Where I learn Spring?, from Pro Spring, in such days in my humble opinion the best book written and mandatory bible.

After of time Spring 2.5 series was released with new features, Pro Spring not very updated, if I don't bad remember the last book available was
                Spring in Action 2nd edition, like I wrote in very old post I liked and enjoy such version, AOP chapter more understandable and new material available and well written

I never wrote something negative or against such version book

In conclusion, my intention is not attack the author. If I gave such impression, well I apologize for the author if you are reading this.

Tries to cover almost everything of spring in chapter 1
                thats correct but is understandable in my opinion

I couldn't believe I was unable to find anything about spring-web like spring tag lib, about controller types
                Well I am not the author, if I don't bad remember it was created with such idea, only should cover some specific areas for the server side , thats why is called Spring Enterprise Recipes

If you want Web support cover, I suggest Spring Recipes 1st Edition, be sure my friend that the second edition going to be a nuclear bomb

nd If you are speaking about Spring 3.5 I would say that using annotation and automatic detection will make your code less reusable.
                Both XML and annotation has its pro and cons, I like work with annotations, it save me about time to have the strict control in a .xml file, and I use XML yet!

Spring Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach, Second Edition
                going to be the best book written and mandatory bible.

Definitively thats it!

And since I like read always book related with Spring, and have friends I would check your book with you together (3rd edition) with an ice beer

My Best Regards

-Manuel

Comment

Working...
                X