X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing eclipse code formatter

On http://www.springframework.org/development in Code Conventions paragraph a reference ("available below") is made to an Eclipse code formatter but it is not available there.

Still not there, it seems.

Comment

Re: Missing Eclipse code formatter

If you are looking for the plugin itself, it can be found here:

h t t p : / / w w w.eclipseplugincentral.com/Web_Links-index-req-viewlink-cid-432.htm

I've also logged an internal JIRA issue to bring the issue to the webmaster's attention.

Comment

Well, no, I'm just looking for the code formatter template; an xml file that seems to have been lost in the site upgrade. On the springframework.org/development page, it says:

"An Eclipse IDE code formatter profile for Spring is available below."

However, I can't find it anywhere "below".
        Last edited by ulsa; Sep 4th, 2008, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Still no formatting conventions?

Are there any updates/news on where to find the formatting conventions you are referring to?

Comment

Missing eclipse code formatter (found)

Thanks for pointing this out. I've tracked down the missing formatter file (XML) and re-posted it on the development page.

Here is the direct URL: http://static.springframework.org/sp...onventions.xml

Adam

Comment

Hey - there is indeed a code formatter there, but unfortunately formatting classes from spring-web (for example) introduced changes - presumably, the formatter should not change anything in there.
              Any idea where the uptodate formatter is kept?
              Thanks.
              Eugen.

Comment

Hey!

I checked this with the Spring core framework team and they don't use auto-formatting for their sources. Therefore changes can happen when you apply an auto-formatter to these sources.

HTH,
                Martin

Comment

OK, thanks for the feedback.
                  The reason I was asking is that it's not easy to create a pull request and make sure that everything is actually formatted according to the rules of the project is there is no way to actually check the rules of the project.
                  Also, I saw that there was indeed a formatter being used at one point (not to long ago) - is there a reason why it's not being used any more or will it come back?
                  Thanks.
                  Eugen.

Comment

Hi Eugen,

Indeed, when putting together a pull request, just do your best to follow convention with the code around the code you're changing. For various reasons, we don't use automatic formatting and any attempt to use one will definitely create unintended diffs.

Thanks!

- Chris

Comment

Cool, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X