• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nothing with spring but.... jtable like excel with jdbc

Dear members

after to read
    http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/jdbc/

i need to learn how to work with jdbc and jtable like excel,

it means each row must be dynamic, columns of the row must be editable and must update the db

so the question,
    which is the best book to learn this?
    and best links of your preference guys

thanks in advanced

I'm not sure what the question was . Any chance you can try to explain that one again?

Comment

Any chance you can try to explain that one again?
      yes, sure

some book or best links about
      working Jtable (advanced features) with jdbc

think like jsp/ajax in dynamic tables, but instead of web this in swing interface

regards

Comment

SwingX!

It's going to be tough for you - Swing is a difficult beast to learn. I was noodling around some time ago with the SwingLabs components, which are far superior in a number of ways than the standard J* components. Look specifically at the JXTable control, and the various ways they use it in the demo (allowing editable cells and whatnot). I would strongly suggest you start with those controls as a baseline than start to go through the pain of customizing JTable. The component set you want is "SwingX" - have a look at the SwingX Demo to see what it offers. The nice part is (if you use it), they plug right into the component palette in Netbeans 6, so you can still use Matisse to draw your UI. Have fun!

Comment

Hello pmularien

thanks for the reply

Swing is a difficult beast to learn.
          yes i know , a lot of options available

I was noodling around some time ago with the SwingLabs components, which are far superior in a number of ways than the standard J* components.
          thanks for the advice

I would strongly suggest you start with those controls as a baseline than start to go through the pain of customizing JTable
          really, thanks i appreciate

The nice part is (if you use it), they plug right into the component palette in Netbeans 6, so you can still use Matisse to draw your UI. Have fun!
          why all the power of swing about of an ide is for Netbeans?, in the sentide of GUI development of course, because if it exists a plugin for eclipse i dont what is
          same history for j2me world

i hope that SwingLabs has a nice support, and i hope see good code samples to understand very quickly this wonderful pain world

regards

P.D: SwingLabs offer a book?

Comment

why all the power of swing about of an ide is for Netbeans?, in the sentide of GUI development of course, because if it exists a plugin for eclipse i dont what is same history for j2me world
            Sorry, I didn't really get that. Netbeans has the Matisse Swing UI builder, which is one of the best free Swing UI designers out there. The MyEclipse team has ported it (I believe) to Eclipse.

There's decent documentation (Javadoc), and SwingLabs is composed of Sun employees.

As far as books, the recent "Filthy Rich Clients" book by Chet and Romain is supposed to be pretty good, and shows some things off that most people didn't think possible with Swing.

Comment

I have to confess, we I'd used Swing for a while I actually started to like it! GlazedLists was a nice project I used a couple of times, not sure if it will help.
              http://publicobject.com/glazedlists/

This cartoon also summed up lots of my early Swing experiences.
              http://madbean.com/anim/totallygridbag

Comment

pmularien

Sorry, I didn't really get that.
                my point was that netbeans came or has a GUI designer for swing applications (drag and drop), that by default eclipse no has
                thats all

Netbeans has the Matisse Swing UI builder
                i dont known if is the default tool to work with swing or is a plugin, about myeclipse, not tested yet

As far as books, the recent "Filthy Rich Clients" book by Chet and Romain is supposed to be pretty good, and shows some things off that most people didn't think possible with Swing.
                sadly this book dedicated to graphicals area

http://www.informit.com/store/produc...sbn=0132413930
                click in the tab tabe Sample Content to see the TOC

thanks anyway for the link

Karl
                I have to confess, we I'd used Swing for a while I actually started to like it! GlazedLists was a nice project I used a couple of times, not sure if it will help.
                http://publicobject.com/glazedlists/
                i saw the video, only code i see, let me check your option

i need code sample/book to learn quickly this

thanks again for your help

Comment

@Karl
                  Thanks, looks like a nice control to have in the toolchest.

@dr_pompeii
                  I agree, I don't know why the Eclipse community hasn't caught up and done a GUI designer - my guess is that 90% of the Java community doesn't do enough Swing work to think it's worth the effort

Comment

Originally posted by pmularien View Post
                    I agree, I don't know why the Eclipse community hasn't caught up and done a GUI designer - my guess is that 90% of the Java community doesn't do enough Swing work to think it's worth the effort
                    I never really liked the GUI designers, JBuilder's kind of worked, IntelliJ's was still experimental when I last played with it. I just preferred to do it manually. The nicest framework I came accross was JIDE, but you do have to pay for it. It was more than worth the cost however, as it saved me hours of coding and looked great!
                    http://www.jidesoft.com/

Comment

On the project I was working on, commercial editors weren't an option, but JIDE looks great - thanks

Comment

AFAIK Netbeans' Matisse is supposed to do a very good job. JBuilder's GUI editor has always been crap since Borland dependencies were added even to the most simple Swing GUIs.

Joerg

Comment

hello guys

thanks for the replies

Karl
                          The nicest framework I came accross was JIDE, but you do have to pay for it. It was more than worth the cost however, as it saved me hours of coding and looked great!
                          if you can tell me your best option about tools for swing with your experience of course,
                          free and commercial options
                          i appreciate, same question for you friend pmularien

pmularien
                          perhaps eclipse hate swing and prefer its own way,
                          SWT world ,
                          really i dont know

Jörg
                          AFAIK Netbeans' Matisse is supposed to do a very good job. JBuilder's GUI editor has always been crap since Borland dependencies were added even to the most simple Swing GUIs.
                          if i dont bad remember JBuilder is not free, and according by experiences of my friends is a crap

Netbeans' Matisse is the default Swing GUI graphical editor that has by default netbeans right?

regards

Comment

Originally posted by dr_pompeii View Post
                            Netbeans' Matisse is the default Swing GUI graphical editor that has by default netbeans right?

regards
                            That's correct. Keep in mind that Netbeans 6 isn't out of beta yet, so it's still a bit unstable (although getting better).

Comment

Hello pmularien
                              thanks for the reply
                              That's correct. Keep in mind that Netbeans 6 isn't out of beta yet, so it's still a bit unstable (although getting better).
                              i remember years ago a book dedicated to netbeans, maybe in these days exists some for
                              Netbeans' Matisse dedicated?

regard

Comment

Working...
                              X