X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blog - 5 Reasons why I think I will not use Spring

Just wondered if anyone had any comments?
    http://gorif.wordpress.com/2007/07/0...ot-use-spring/
    Last edited by karldmoore; Aug 29th, 2007, 11:43 AM.

Just posted some

Originally posted by mdeinum
    Regarding 1/2/3

You don't have to use XML configuration there are multiple options to configuring Spring. Annotations, XML, JavaConfig or use the Spring low-level-api yourselves. When you leave the realm of XML configuration you will be able to have strong typed back, no large xml files.

Regarding 4
    Depends on what you want to use of Spring, if you want to use only DI and maybe some utility classes Spring is quite lightweight, if you want to use something more Spring becomes a bit more heavy. The only lag we experience is the 30 seconds startup time of tomcat, however this is mainly due to our database connection setup.

Regarding 5
    Which features are you talking about? We use Spring transactions, aop support, without any hard reference to Spring? If you use Spring MVC your web-layer is referencing Spring, however you lower service/business/dao layer can stay clear of Spring.

Also as of Spring 2.0.x it is recommended that if you use Hibernate/JPA that you don't use the Hibernate-/JPATemplate approach anymore. But the normal recommended approach (for Hibernate that is the currentSession approach), this doesn't tie your dao layer to Spring in any regards.

Comment

It seems to be another one of these Spring myths posts. There's always a focus on XML, but there are so many other ways to do it these days. As for coupling, I think the documentation positively says don't couple your application to Spring!
      Last edited by karldmoore; Aug 29th, 2007, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Seems it's made it's way onto TSS.
        http://www.theserverside.com/news/th...hread_id=46041

Comment

i am happy with spring

i read the link

but the a good question for him would be

if he dont want use Spring for his 5 reasons, what other better option he can take???

regards

Comment

Originally posted by karldmoore View Post
            Seems it's made it's way onto TSS.
            Why gets such a stuporous article such a publicity?

Jörg

Comment

Hi,

I read the link,

I am using spring for the past 1 1/2 to 2 years and I have used Spring MVC extensively. I am extremely happy with the performance and even configuration.

Point 1 of the link.
              Any library including the JDK would have lot of classes, the point is that whether the library is helping you at the end of the day or not. If i have to use only the MVC or only the Dao Support, I wouldnt mind if the library contains 1000 classes or may maybe million, at the end of the day it should serve my purpose.

regarding configuration, I feel configuration is an art , it requires some experience and time to learn.
              spring gives the flexibility to break your configuration into any number of files(modularization).
              I normally use the following style <moduleXXX>-web.xml,<moduleXXX>-service.xml,<moduleXXX-dao.xml><moduleXXX>flow-web.xml(the furniture for my flow including beans,<moduleXXX>-flow.xml(the flow of the module if iam using a flow>

Point 2.
              XML can be painful for administrators but I dont agree if a developer says XML is painful.
              spring gives a out of the box bean to configure the values of the xml using propertyConfigurer.

point 3.
              Spring provides a way to testing your configuration,
              (
              point 4.
              as far as performance is concerned , the customer was happy with the performance,
              there is nobody better than the customer being happy with the solution performance.

point 5.
              spring doesnt lock you in, rather lets you use spring mvc at the presentation layer, and you choose your own framework for service layer and dao layer.

these are completely my thoughts based on my experience with spring,

Comment

Originally posted by Jörg Heinicke View Post
                Why gets such a stuporous article such a publicity?
                I apologise if you think it's 'stuporous' (nice word ) I was just interested to know what other people thought.

Comment

I apologise if you think it's 'stuporous' (nice word ) I was just interested to know what other people thought.
                  Karl -

I am sure Jorg was referring to the article getting focussed in TSS, not complaining about the fact that you have brought it up in this forum . I enjoy all of your pointers which u put up in the META forum.

Cheers.
                  - Debasish

Comment

'stuporous' (nice word )
                    I just looked it up in the dictionary. It was the nearest to the German word "stümperhaft" Other translations were dilettantish or amateurish. How would you actually say?

Originally posted by debasishg View Post
                    I am sure Jorg was referring to the article getting focussed in TSS
                    Exactly. So nothing to apologize for, Karl

Originally posted by debasishg View Post
                    I enjoy all of your pointers which u put up in the META forum.
                    I'm completely with Debasish here.

Jörg

Comment

I just looked it up in the dictionary. It was the nearest to the German word "stümperhaft" Other translations were dilettantish or amateurish. How would you actually say?
                      Amateurish would do it.

Exactly. So nothing to apologize for, Karl
                      Ok cool .

I'm completely with Debasish here.
                      I'm glad other people find it useful .

Comment

There's a follow up here, is this also 'stuporous'?
                        http://gorif.wordpress.com/2007/07/0...r-than-spring/

Comment

I wonder why he does only bashing without any analysis. If the difference between the two frameworks would be so significant it should be easy to point out the reason.

Jörg

Comment

He seems to keep bashing the xml configuration... I wonder if he has taken a look at the other configuration possiblities.

Comment

Self appointed experts all over the place

Just a general thought on blogging....
                              Seems that the possibility to have your "fifteen minutes of fame" has gone a bit exagerated these days. There is a lot of Java blogs and curiously each and every one of them seem to be written by self-appointed Java top-of-the-line-experts. Well, if this guy has found other solutions... Good for him! Let him and his team use whatever framework he wishes, but....
                              *sigh* Getting pretty tired of all the complaining for bloated XML-configurations. Use another way if you are so fed up with XML. Using Spring is optional. Don't use it if you think it stinks!

Comment

Working...
                              X