Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone please help me download Spring code through CVS

Hi,
    I am trying to get the code through CVS for the spring-core.
    I am using the tortoise-CVS client, here:
    CVSROOT:: pserver:[email protected]:2401/cvsroot/spring
    Protocol: Password Server: pserver:
    Protocol paramters:
    Server: cvs.sourceforge.net
    port: 2041
    Repository folder:/cvsroot/spring
    username : anonymous
    module: spring.

Am I entering the right values here? I am getting the error:

In C:\Spring Framework: "C:\Program Files\TortoiseCVS\cvs.exe" -q checkout -P spring
    CVSROOT=: pserver:anony[email protected]:2401/cvsroot

connect to cvs.sourceforge.net:2401 failed: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.
    Error, CVS operation failed

Do I need some sort of VPN for this to work? Any help is really appreciated. Help out a newbie!

I just followed the instructions on the website.
    http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=73357
    Last edited by karldmoore; Aug 30th, 2007, 06:30 AM.

Comment

That link doesnt tell you how if you are using tortoiseCVS which i was using. Anyway, its working now .
      What I have used is:
      CVSROOT : : pserver:[email protected] net:/cvsroot/springframework
      Server: springframework.cvs.sourceforge.net
      Repository folder: /cvsroot/springframework
      username: anonymous
      Module: spring

Thought i'd post what worked for me over here just in case someone needs it in the future .
      one question though, do i need to checkout all the modules to start understanding the flow of the project? Am wondering where to start!!

Comment

Originally posted by vikas_rao View Post
        one question though, do i need to checkout all the modules to start understanding the flow of the project? Am wondering where to start!!
        It very much depends on what you are trying to do. If you are just trying to learn Spring, I wouldn't personally start reading the source code. There's lots of code and there are lots of bits to Spring. I'd start with the reference manual and the examples.

Comment

Well, I am pretty good with developing small applications through spring, but i also wanted to contribute to the spring project itself in anyway i could, like fixing bugs, documentation and when i am good for it, helping others out who have problems using spring.
          Any suggestions on how i can go about this would be really appreciated .

Comment

Originally posted by vikas_rao View Post
            Well, I am pretty good with developing small applications through spring, but i also wanted to contribute to the spring project itself in anyway i could, like fixing bugs, documentation and when i am good for it, helping others out who have problems using spring.
            Any suggestions on how i can go about this would be really appreciated .
            Again it depends on which areas of the source code you are interested in. The code is all nicely split up, so it might be easy to pick an area to have a look at. I doubt I've looked at more than half of the source code, I seem to spend time mostly in the data accesss parts.

Comment

thanx so much for your help karl, yeah i'm going to pick out certain aspects of the code and go deeper into understanding it..hope i get the flow of the code first before i go into details.

Comment

Working...
              X