Move Remove Collapse
This topic is closed
Conversation Detail Module
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital book editions

I like that "Expert one-on-one J2EE without EJB" is available as a PDF . Is it possible to purchase the first book (E1:1 D&D) as a digital edition? It's great to be able to carry my reference library with me to client sites. PDF's are cheaper too. :wink:

Not AFAIK. Unfortunately that book's marketing etc. suffered a bit from the fact that the old Wrox Press collapsed a few months after it came out. Wiley bought the rights to it, but they inherited a pretty chaotic situation due to the rapidity of shutting down the old Wrox office.

Nevertheless, I'll speak to my publisher at Wiley and see if anything can be done.

Digital Edition DRM painful

Thank you for the follow-up. BTW, the DRM process to purchase "E1:1 J2EE w/o EJB" was quite painful. I don't know to whom to complain: Amazon, Wiley or Adobe. Mostly it seemed like Adobe Reader wouldn't recognize the mime types from the various web services involved. I had to create html documents with links where I could use "Save Target As..." Even the Adobe activation wouldn't automatically work. I retrieved and saved a SOAP document that when I double clicked it, Adobe Reader opened it and started the activation process.

To download the book, I created an html document and added the Amazon digital locker link to it. I used "Save Target As..." to retrieve another html document containing a second link. Adding it to the html document and using "Save Target As..." again, it saved a document with a .ebx (eBook eXchange?) extension. Double-clicking that file started the download process in Reader. Double-clicking the .ebx file caused Reader to delete or move it during the process; I don't remember what it contained exactly.

Of course trying those steps a second time after successfully getting the book produced an error saying my order was already fulfilled.

If problems like these purchasing eBooks are a common experience, most people probably won't put up with the hassle. Non-technical people certainly won't use the steps that I did.

Check out I purchased a subscription to Spring Live without any complicated DRM issues.