Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just wanted to say that I've just finished reading AspectJ in Action. I can't really comment on the competition but I thought this book was excellent. It would be nice if there was a revised version.
    Last edited by karldmoore; Aug 30th, 2007, 06:05 AM.

Comment

Just wanted to say that I've just finished reading AspectJ in Action.
      congratulations Karl

I can't really comment on the competition but I thought this book was excellent.
      i have a copy of my cousin book, the book is powerful

tell me,how long took you to read the book?, all book?

regards

Comment

Originally posted by dr_pompeii View Post
        tell me,how long took you to read the book?, all book?
        I got it on Tuesday and I finished it today. I have spent some time working through a few examples though. I'm going to do lots more playing with AspectJ now .
        Last edited by karldmoore; Aug 30th, 2007, 06:04 AM.

Comment

I got it on Tuesday and I finished it today.
          holy ......
          4 days all book ,,, mmm

normally i take 1 week to one month , time is hell
          and english is not my native language

regards

Comment

Originally posted by dr_pompeii View Post
            normally i take 1 week to one month , time is hell
            and english is not my native language
            I'm sure if I tried to read a non-english book it might take me much longer than a month .

Comment

Originally posted by karldmoore View Post
              Just wanted to say that I've just finished reading AspectJ in Action. I can't really comment on the competition but I thought this book was excellent. It would be nice if there was a revised version.
              Good to hear that you found it useful. I read it sometime back and it proved very useful to me as well. Maybe Ramnivas can update us with his plans of the next edition of AspectJ in Action.

Cheers.
              - Debasish

Comment

Thanks guys for your positive feedback on the first edition (and special thanks to Karl for letting me know of this thread).

Yes, the second edition is in progress with significant part already written. I think I should be done with my writing over next 2-3 months. This will be followed by copyediting, proofreading, and typesetting etc. The eBook version should be available shortly thereafter to be followed by the print version.

The second edition will cover:
                - All AspectJ 5 features including the @AspectJ syntax, new language features, and various weaving models.
                - Spring AspectJ integration.
                - Many new examples as well as updated examples from the first edition to reflect what I have learned in the field since the first edition.

I welcome suggestions on any specific topics that you will like to be included. I will also like to hear from those who read the first edition if there is something you suggest dropping from the second edition.

Thanks a lot.

-Ramnivas

Comment

I will like to suggest the AOP@Work article series published at IBM developerWorks as a way to learn about latest thinking from the AspectJ world.

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerwork...h_by=aop@work:

-Ramnivas

Comment

hello ramnivas

Yes, the second edition is in progress with significant part already written. I think I should be done with my writing over next 2-3 months.
                    good to see about of your powerful 2nd edition

The second edition will cover:
                    - All AspectJ 5 features including the @AspectJ syntax, new language features, and various weaving models.
                    - Spring AspectJ integration.
                    - Many new examples as well as updated examples from the first edition to reflect what I have learned in the field since the first edition.
                    yes , i need and want to go more deeply about aspect with spring , control of transactions with both etc etc, in both forms, xml declarations and annotations

I welcome suggestions on any specific topics that you will like to be included. I will also like to hear from those who read the first edition if there is something you suggest dropping from the second edition.
                    good, i am in chapter 3 now, apart of the integration of Spring, i would like to see
                    (if this already exists sorry ),
                    a more realistic example, perhaps a case study (prototype), i hope you see my point

the book until now and i am sure that the rest of the content are nice

regards
                    Last edited by dr_pompeii; May 21st, 2007, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ramnivas View Post
                      I welcome suggestions on any specific topics that you will like to be included.
                      Aspects and DDD - I have heard some of your talks on this subject. I would love to see a coverage of this topic with a case study.

Cheers.
                      - Debasish

Comment

Hi Ramnivas,

thank you for the link to the AOP articles, I just bookmarked it. It is good to hear that the second edition of "AspectJ in Action" makes progress. I haven't read the first edition, but I am very interested in the second one. So please feel free to post an information here, when the book becomes available

Besides that I support the proposal of Debasish to include something about AOP and DDD. That seems to be an interesting topic, IMHO.

Regards,
                        Andreas

Comment

Originally posted by Andreas Senft View Post
                          Besides that I support the proposal of Debasish to include something about AOP and DDD. That seems to be an interesting topic, IMHO.
                          Yeah I'm with you on this one. I quite liked the AOP refactoring presentation as well, that would be a niceone to cover. One thing I really liked in the first edition was the different usages of AOP, not just logging, auditing and security. It would be nice to cover more of this. I like the idea of architectural enforcement and would be interested to hear more about this as well.

Comment

About AspectJ in action

Dear Ramnivas,
                            I read your superb book, "AspectJ in action", a few month ago. I found it a brilliant book.
                            Time has changed and now so many people have dealt with AOP issues in AspectJ and simpler AOP frameworks in Spring, JBoss or even the new Guice.

I knew AOP concepts before reading "AspectJ in Action". I found AspectJ a quite powerful language but in different parts of the book, I could feel that you were still teaching the Aspect Oriented Programming concepts. I wish there could be a categorization of topics so that an AOP novice could read a really comprehensive appendix to learn the concepts (some sort of categorization like that, I am not an author, you are). That was tiresome for me. I deeply enjoyed the Aspect Oriented Patterns chapter. And now that we have different frameworks that are dealing with aspects, I wish the security examples could deal more with our daily usages of frameworks like acegi vs. the from scratch approach of Jaas & AspectJ.

I also wish there could be good samples of Maven2 (and may be also Maven 1) and ant integration support. I find this the most important. Because a user might just read the book but never test the source codes.

I've read that "AspectJ usage starts from policy enforement". I am quite sure that many companies are still afraid of the technology but if you lead them towards a more friendly step-by-step usage, AspectJ will be used widely not just by Gurus but also by ordinary people.

IMHO developers feel more secure and are less afraid when they first meet AOP concepts using proxy because they see Java code. It's not automagic yet. I am thinking about an easier chapter than the chapter 4 of "Java Reflection in Action" that simulates a subset of AOP concepts.

Thanks again for your great book...
                            Last edited by ramin_farhanian; May 26th, 2007, 01:21 AM.

Comment

hello guys

i am thinking for all our members that already done to finish to read the book

well, why not share an appreciation of each chapter?
                              the things that should be changed and added of course

this is for give a better appreciation to the author for requirements before to publish the 2nd edition

i hope everybody see my point

regards

Comment

AO feedback

Dear dr_pompeii,
                                It's a good idea. Mr. Karl Moore has recently finished the book. I'd be really happy to read his feedbacks about the book and the samples. Karl I am also interested to hear any Aspect Oriented training experience from your side...

All The Best,
                                Ramin Farhanian

Comment

Working...
                                X