X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book about AspectJ: Recommendations?

Having worked with Spring AOP so far, I intend to dig a little deeper into AspectJ. Now I am looking for a good book about that topic.

I am aware of "AspectJ in Action", but that dates 2003, so possibly it is not up to date anymore. Can anyone recommend a book (english or german) that covers the recent state of things (AspectJ 5)?

Thanks for any suggestions,
    Andreas

Ditto, but I'd prefer one in English . I was forwarded this before by a friend.
    http://www.aspectprogrammer.org/blog...e_aspectj.html

Comment

Thanks for the link, Karl. Skimming the reviews I think that something like "AspectJ in Action" seems to be a better starting point as they say the usage patterns are covered better there. If it wasn't that "old" I would have already bought it. Just wondering if it is somehow outdated by the advent of AspectJ 5 or not. Maybe someone who read it could share some insight to that?

Comment

Just wondered if you'd done anymore digging into this Andreas? It's near the top of my list of things to do, so I wondered what you'd gone with.

Comment

Currently I think about ordering this book. Since it is in german, I fear it won't help you

Besides that I read here about a planned second edition of "AspectJ in Action". Though there is no hint about its release date.

While pondering about this, I work through the other books in my queue

Maybe meanwhile someone provides hints about other resources.

Regards,
          Andreas

Comment

Originally posted by Andreas Senft View Post
            Currently I think about ordering this book. Since it is in german, I fear it won't help you
            Yes my German isn't really upto that much. I can remember a standard opening line when writing a letter but that's about it. It would be a change though .

Besides that I read here about a planned second edition of "AspectJ in Action". Though there is no hint about its release date.
            Thanks for the tip anyway, I'll have to do some searching for information.

While pondering about this, I work through the other books in my queue
            I know what you mean. If I didn't have a job, then maybe I could catch up on all the things on my "to do" list .

Comment

Thanks for the link, Karl. Skimming the reviews I think that something like "AspectJ in Action" seems to be a better starting point as they say the usage patterns are covered better there. If it wasn't that "old" I would have already bought it. Just wondering if it is somehow outdated by the advent of AspectJ 5 or not. Maybe someone who read it could share some insight to that?
              AspectJ in Action is indeed a great starting point. Apart from the regular examples, it contains lots of usage patterns, best practices, design idioms. There are great chapters on using aspects to implement thread safety, business rules, authentication and authorization. I found the book a great read and learnt lots of new usage patterns of aspects. Regarding AspectJ5, you can have a look at the Developer's Notebook that comes bundled with the AspectJ distribution.

HTH,
              - Debasish

Comment

Thanks for the recommendation Debasish, I'll check them out.
                Last edited by karldmoore; Aug 30th, 2007, 06:05 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the information Debasish.
                  Much appreciated!

Regards,
                  Andreas

Comment

Update

Meanwhile I read the (german) book I mentioned above (Aspektorientierte Programmierung mit AspectJ 5; Oliver Böhm). For the german readers: I can recommend it. I deem it a good introduction to AspectJ with gradually increasing difficulty level. It is also quite usable as reference.

Concerning AspectJ patterns there are only some basic ones. Otherwise it is referred to "AspectJ in Action". Maybe I will have a read on that one too, later.

Regards,
                    Andreas

Comment

AOP and AspectJ

hello guys

i am want to learn more deeply this world of aspects, i read the book of Pro Spring, and i have a simply question, if is silly sorry

what is the difference between AOP and Aspect?,
                      i think that is the same, but really i dont know,

now according to his commentary of our friend debasishg
                      i am thinking to buy AspectJ in Action , my native language is spanish, but i read some books in english, so should i buy this book???, or some friendly member can tell now to us about of other book better than Manning book???

my level about AOP or AspectJ is basic/rookie

thanks for advanced

Comment

Originally posted by dr_pompeii View Post
                        what is the difference between AOP and Aspect?,
                        i think that is the same, but really i dont know,

now according to his commentary of our friend debasishg
                        i am thinking to buy AspectJ in Action , my native language is spanish, but i read some books in english, so should i buy this book???, or some friendly member can tell now to us about of other book better than Manning book???

my level about AOP or AspectJ is basic/rookie
                        Here are my $0.02 ..

Just like we have objects decomposing a system into hierarchical structures, aspects are artifacts that can be used to address concerns that cross cut object hierarchies. e.g. we can model transaction handling as a crosscutting concern that spans across multiple object hierarchies in the system. And programming using aspects is AOP. Here are some useful pointers :

- the seminal paper by Kiczales : http://www.parc.com/research/project...OP1997-AOP.pdf

- a useful paper that models many of GOF design patterns using aspects : http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~jan/AODPs/

- Gregor Kiczales Home Page : http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~gregor/

Regarding books, I found AspectJ in Action very useful. It contains lots of practical problem solving examples. Sometime back I heard that Ramnivas is working on the next edition of the book, which will cover AspectJ5.

Cheers.
                        - Debasish

Comment

I'm in the same boat as Andreas. I've been using the AspectJ syntax in Spring and I want to learn more about AspectJ. After a few recommendations from other people and one from Debasish I went for AspectJ in Action. It's a shame it's a few years old, but I'm sure I'll still get the idea.
                          Last edited by karldmoore; Aug 30th, 2007, 06:05 AM.

Comment

Hi debasishg

thanks for the links, i no read yet, but looks very useful
                            Regarding books, I found AspectJ in Action very useful. It contains lots of practical problem solving examples.
                            good

Sometime back I heard that Ramnivas is working on the next edition of the book, which will cover AspectJ5.
                            i saw a link in the post of this thread, and this link point to the manning forum and was in 2006, so time is running out for Ramnivas

I'm in the same boat as Andreas. I've been using the AspectJ syntax in Spring and I want to learn more about AspectJ.
                            mm, i thought that the syntax was unique , a level of class of course, or the other is in the xml way <AOP ???, i seen something like this way in other threads

After a few recommendations from other people and one from Debasish I went for AspectJ in Action.
                            it seems and i am agree that for the moment this is the best book

It's a shame it's a few years old, but I'm sure I'll still get the idea.
                            the bases still there, but i dont tkink that changes from the old version to 5 are very criticals

btw: i remember one thread about problem AOP and transaction management with spring

regards

Comment

Originally posted by dr_pompeii View Post
                              the bases still there, but i dont tkink that changes from the old version to 5 are very criticals
                              Very true. The changes in AspectJ5 are quite advanced features that build upon the support for Java 5 features, support for an annotation-based development style for aspects, and new reflection and tools APIs. The base is still the same and Ramnivas' book covers them very well.

Cheers.
                              - Debasish

Comment

Working...
                              X