X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faq

Is it just me or do I see a lot of questions asked again and again and... well you get the point. Is it an idea to create some kind of FAQ? With will reference to the reference guide, javadoc and maybe include some sample code?

I completely absolutely 100% agree (whole heartedly). This has also been brought up a few times as well . Acegi has one, Spring could do with one as well. The getting started pages on Hibernate are also really useful for people to get up and running. I think a walk through tutorial of the samples that ship with Spring would also be useful.
    http://forum.springframework.org/showthread.php?t=32042

How to ask for help would be good.
    http://www.hibernate.org/160.html

I get quite frustrated when people tell me Spring is too hard to understand. Although I don't agree, there might be a better way of introducing people to it. I guess though it's a matter of time and resources.

Comment

Did you have any more thoughts about this one Marten?

Comment

I agree Karl. Also about the how to ask for help thing would be good, sometimes it isn't quite clear what people want or they forget to include the configuration.

About the faq I think a good project should have one in one form or another. Maybe it can be part of the reference guide or a special section on the springframework site.

The walkthrough is also a nice one, would be a great addition I think.

Comment

There are quite a few questions I can think of for a FAQ. Most of them can simply point at the reference manual. The reference manual is getting updated when the same question gets asked often, it's only a matter of providing the link. For lots of the questions posted that's all that is required. I think it might make sense for the structure of an FAQ to follow the reference manual, nice an consistent .

The walkthrough is the same sort of thing. The reference manual contains the required information, it's just a matter of joining up the dots for people.

Comment

Joining up the dots . (Again a new tagline ).

But indeed. I notice that I refer to the reference guide more often (sometimes with a little piece of example code). So I think that the faq is more like a kickstart to use the reference guide?

Also I think the sample application shipped with Spring are really good, they cover a lot of ground in a simple way. But I can imagine that at a first glance it might look overwhelming. So a bit of clarification/walkthrough/guide shipped with the samples will only add to the clarity.

Comment

I'm a tagline machine at the minute, my last CEO was really good at those kind of things, he was always "thinking outside the box" . I really hope that hasn't rubbed off on me.

The FAQ can be a kick start, I'd really just like to see the commonly asked questions grouped. If there is code to solve it then it would be great to show it.

The same applications are good and I agree about them being overwhelming. Maybe something like the MVC step-by-step?
              http://www.springframework.org/docs/...p-by-step.html

Comment

I like the step-by-step thing. I also did the MVC step-by-step once, haven't we all (well we should have I guess). But it would be great if there where some more step-by-step guide for different parts of Spring. Maybe starting with the IOC, DI thing and then building up to AOP.

Agree on the part of grouping the commonly asked question. Spring is getting more and more popular. A lot of people who have heard of Spring are trying it out and they ask a lot of the same questions.

Maybe worth raising a JIRA issue, to direct the attention to this thread/discussion?

Comment

Yeah good plan. I'll raise one on a bit. One thing I am conscious of is creating more sources of information that are unconnected. Andreas raised the same concern when a new WIKI was talked about. I read a new thread last night about another new WIKI. Would be nice to consolidate this a little.
                  http://forum.springframework.org/showthread.php?t=34561
                  http://forum.springframework.org/showthread.php?t=32042

Comment

For your reference....................
                    http://opensource.atlassian.com/proj...rowse/SPR-3133

Comment

Rick is browsing the issues . Just entered myself as watcher and just received a message that it has been assigned .

Comment

Rick is 'Mr Documentation', think he has to deal with all of them .

Comment

And he did some updating again. Can we provide a list with FAQ and maybe some answers to those question so they can be part of the documentation?

Comment

OK, sure thing. I think if we both come up with some questions and then we can worry about the answers. My plan was to basically just go through the reference manual chapter by chapter. Thoughts?

Comment

Using the reference guide as a well guide sounds like a plan. Lets se what I can remember of all those question asked here .

Comment

Working...
                              X