Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Happy New Year Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This topic is closed
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Happy New Year

    The new year is already 2 days old but still Happy New Year to all. A new year with new opportunities and hopefully lots of new Spring goodies .

  • #2
    Its always a bind having to get up for work first day back, but Happy New Year to all. Personally, I'm hoping this ones lots better than the last one!

    Comment


    • #3
      With the new year already set in, what is the most sought after new feature that the community would like to have as part of Spring ?

      Cheers and Happy New Year !
      - Debasish

      Comment


      • #4
        Happy New Year!

        Comment


        • #5
          Peter raised a question regarding what could be an interesting addition.
          http://forum.springframework.org/showthread.php?t=32849

          Personally, I'd like to get more into Acegi (once my contract is sorted). Its an excellent framework, but at the minute there are lots of gotchas, complicated bits of configuration and slightly un-Spring like behaviour. It would be nice to "clean" it up a bit, hopefully I might be able to try and help with that (fingers crossed).

          Comment


          • #6
            Personally I would like to see a lot more typesafety in the JDBC space. SQL queries buried within hard coded strings have been sources of problems in many applications. No refactoring support, no compile time checks ..

            I would like to see a typesafe Criteria abstraction, typesafe enums modeling columns and use of generics to enforce some of the typesafety through a generic DAO layer. Sometime back I had blogged about it here, here and here. I have developed this using Spring as the underlying implementation.

            Cheers.
            - Debasish

            Comment


            • #7
              Are you basically talking about a Hibernate style query-by-criteria for plain old JDBC?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by karldmoore View Post
                Are you basically talking about a Hibernate style query-by-criteria for plain old JDBC?
                Actually there are many Java applications which do not need using ORM and would not like to add heavy duty Hibernate in their application stack. A lightweight DAO layer would be ideal. Spring has most of it through the template classes - I was thinking if we can add some typesafety to this space.

                Cheers.
                - Debasish

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by debasishg View Post
                  Actually there are many Java applications which do not need using ORM and would not like to add heavy duty Hibernate in their application stack. A lightweight DAO layer would be ideal. Spring has most of it through the template classes - I was thinking if we can add some typesafety to this space.
                  I appreciate that, you previsouly mentioned criteria abstraction I thought thats what you were getting at. A query-by-criteria style API for JDBC.

                  There is obviously some 1.5 only code which does make things better. Obviously you can always go further with these things. Have you raised any of the features your after in JIRA (or checked if they're already in there).

                  http://blog.interface21.com/main/200...20-and-java-5/
                  http://www.springframework.org/docs/...leJdbcTemplate

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by karldmoore View Post
                    There is obviously some 1.5 only code which does make things better. Obviously you can always go further with these things. Have you raised any of the features your after in JIRA (or checked if they're already in there).
                    Last time I checked Spring JIRA, I could not find anything. I will check again and raise an issue with my thoughts.

                    Thanks.
                    - Debasish

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by debasishg View Post
                      Last time I checked Spring JIRA, I could not find anything. I will check again and raise an issue with my thoughts.
                      Obviously if you attach the actual source and tests to the JIRA issue, it should get in the codebase a lot quicker .

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by karldmoore View Post
                        Obviously if you attach the actual source and tests to the JIRA issue, it should get in the codebase a lot quicker .
                        Sure .. let me try to get some time off for this.

                        Another area where I feel Spring can add more is in Test Driven Development. Lots of stuffs are going on to make tests more expressive or literate, so that they read more like specifications. Have a look at LiFT and the integration of TestNG and Abbott, where Alex Ruiz is doing some really good work on giving tests a real facelift. And, with scripting languages like Groovy and JRuby very much a part of the JVM support, this should not be very difficult. Groovy categories and Higher Order Messaging hold some interesting promise in having more literate testing abstractions within Spring.

                        Cheers.
                        - Debasish

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by debasishg View Post
                          Sure .. let me try to get some time off for this.
                          In fairness I was actually joking, what else are weekends for .

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Did you ever raise these improvements Debasish?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Not yet Karl .. I am neck deep with my project and have been travelling a lot. I will do it within the next few days.

                              Cheers.
                              - Debasish

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X