X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meaning of Interface21?

Spring history question: what is the meaning of the name Interface21? I know that the original pre-Spring codebase was named Interface21, but why was the framework named this in the first place?

Thanks!

-Arthur Loder

Only Rod can answer that. I could make a practical guess, original spring started out with 21 interfaces. and implementation got bigger over the period. All I remember reading once, Rod started out with a small framework for the place he was working at and after that he realized how nice it was and how big a room it has to evolve to a full blown j2ee framework. I am not sure if idea came from Brad Appleton's Pizza Inversion.

Comment

Only a guess...

First: I do not know.
      That said, I would also like to make a guess

I think the code base had been packaged using Rod's company name (which is named Interface21). As far as I recall the framework was just code accompanying his book and was afaik never referred to by a specific name.

As of the name itself I would guess that it might mean something like "interface to the 21st century" or so. Just an idea, though.

Maybe Rod can enlighten us.

Just my 2cents,
      Andreas

Comment

Andreas is close. I actually registered the domain name in 1998. (Interface21 was founded in its present form in 2004.)

Interface was a play on the OO concept (and my love of it) and the notion of an interface to a system--at that point in time I was involved in web-enabling legacy systems.

Yes, 21 stands for 21st century, as in 20th Century Fox. I believe now they're just Fox, so we may need to drop the 21 in 2099. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Johnson
          so we may need to drop the 21 in 2099. :-)
          ...and don't forget to reserve the interface22 domain betimes, just in case

Regards,
          Andreas

Comment

I always figured that interface21 was to avoid catch22 chicken-and-egg initialization problems.

Comment

Working...
            X