Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended reading

Hi all

I'm a reasonably experienced Spring developer and have done a couple of quickstart grails tutorials online.

Can anyone recommend a book or site that might best help me get up to speed with grails and also help out regarding grails/groovy best practices?

There seem to be quite a few books out there, but I cant find any that cover anything later than version 1.1

Does it matter if, for example, Grails in Action is written with 1.1 in mind?

As one of the authors of Grails in Action I'm a bit biased on this point. Much of the stuff written for Grails 1.1 still applies, so no 1.1 book is a wasted investment. That said, you may be interested in the Pragmatic Programmers' Quick Start Guide, which is based on Grails 1.2:

http://pragprog.com/titles/dkgrails/grails

The most significant change for Grails 1.2 was the new dependency DSL, which allows you to specify dependencies in a Mavenesque way rather than simply putting JARs in 'lib'. That was also the version that introduced Spring 3.

If you do go for Grails in Action, I recently pushed changes to the 'master' branch of the example application on GitHub so that it works with Grails 1.3.x. The biggest part of those changes involved upgrading the Spring Security plugin.

Comment

Thanks for that

Comment

Working...
      X