Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
How to Map a Simple Oracle "Legacy" Table into a Grails Domain Class? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Map a Simple Oracle "Legacy" Table into a Grails Domain Class?

Hi, everyone. I am a very experienced java developer, and a somewhat experienced Spring developer, but am new to Grails.

I'm trying to create a simple one-table one-class grails prototype app that reads from a simple pre-existing Oracle table.

I can see that the grails app is connecting to the database ok, but when I code the Datasource.groovy as dbCreate="update", it wants to add a new hibernate_sequence to the table, and gets this exception:

Code:
    C:\opt\grailsWorkspace\myapp>grails run-app
    Welcome to Grails 1.3.7 - http://grails.org/
    Licensed under Apache Standard License 2.0
    Grails home is set to: C:\opt\grails

Base Directory: C:\opt\grailsWorkspace\myapp
    Resolving dependencies...
    Dependencies resolved in 1154ms.
    Running script C:\opt\grails\scripts\RunApp.groovy
    Environment set to development
      [groovyc] Compiling 2 source files to C:\opt\grailsWorkspace\myapp\tar
    get\classes
       [delete] Deleting directory C:\Users\bethridge\.grails\1.3.7\projects\myapp\tomcat
    Running Grails application..
    2013-04-25 14:41:10,410 [main] ERROR hbm2ddl.SchemaUpdate  - Unsuccessful: creat
    e sequence hibernate_sequence
    2013-04-25 14:41:10,410 [main] ERROR hbm2ddl.SchemaUpdate  - ORA-01031: insuffic
    ient privileges
    Thank goodness I didn't have the Oracle privilege to do such. Otherwise, I imagine I would have just messed up a perfectly good Oracle table for our whole team! (The Grails documentation in my Grails book was not very clear on that point.)

If I change to dbCreate="validate", then I get this exception:
    Code:
    org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean wit
    h name 'messageSource': Initialization of bean failed; nested exception is org.s
    pringframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with nam
    e 'transactionManager': Cannot resolve reference to bean 'sessionFactory' while
    setting bean property 'sessionFactory'; nested exception is org.springframework.
    beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'sessionFacto
    ry': Invocation of init method failed; nested exception is org.hibernate.Hiberna
    teException: Missing sequence or table: hibernate_sequence
            at org.grails.tomcat.TomcatServer.start(TomcatServer.groovy:212)
            at grails.web.container.EmbeddableServer$start.call(Unknown Source)
            at _GrailsRun_groovy$_run_closure5_closure12.doCall(_GrailsRun_groovy:15
    8)
            at _GrailsRun_groovy$_run_closure5_closure12.doCall(_GrailsRun_groovy)
            at _GrailsSettings_groovy$_run_closure10.doCall(_GrailsSettings_groovy:2
    80)
            at _GrailsSettings_groovy$_run_closure10.call(_GrailsSettings_groovy)
            at _GrailsRun_groovy$_run_closure5.doCall(_GrailsRun_groovy:149)
            at _GrailsRun_groovy$_run_closure5.call(_GrailsRun_groovy)
            at _GrailsRun_groovy.runInline(_GrailsRun_groovy:116)
            at _GrailsRun_groovy.this$4$runInline(_GrailsRun_groovy)
            at _GrailsRun_groovy$_run_closure1.doCall(_GrailsRun_groovy:59)
            at RunApp$_run_closure1.doCall(RunApp.groovy:33)
            at gant.Gant$_dispatch_closure5.doCall(Gant.groovy:381)
            at gant.Gant$_dispatch_closure7.doCall(Gant.groovy:415)
            at gant.Gant$_dispatch_closure7.doCall(Gant.groovy)
            at gant.Gant.withBuildListeners(Gant.groovy:427)
            at gant.Gant.this$2$withBuildListeners(Gant.groovy)
            at gant.Gant$this$2$withBuildListeners.callCurrent(Unknown Source)
            at gant.Gant.dispatch(Gant.groovy:415)
            at gant.Gant.this$2$dispatch(Gant.groovy)
            at gant.Gant.invokeMethod(Gant.groovy)
            at gant.Gant.executeTargets(Gant.groovy:590)
            at gant.Gant.executeTargets(Gant.groovy:589)
    Caused by: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creati
    ng bean with name 'transactionManager': Cannot resolve reference to bean 'sessio
    nFactory' while setting bean property 'sessionFactory'; nested exception is org.
    springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with na
    me 'sessionFactory': Invocation of init method failed; nested exception is org.h
    ibernate.HibernateException: Missing sequence or table: hibernate_sequence
            ... 23 more
    Caused by: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creati
    ng bean with name 'sessionFactory': Invocation of init method failed; nested exc
    eption is org.hibernate.HibernateException: Missing sequence or table: hibernate
    _sequence
            ... 23 more
    Caused by: org.hibernate.HibernateException: Missing sequence or table: hibernat
    e_sequence
    ....and the error makes sense, but the bottom line is that this is a PRE-EXISTING and in-production table, so I don't want Grails/Hibernate to create a new hibernate_sequence at all. The table already has a perfectly good primary key. I just want grails/hibernate to map to the existing primary key.

I've poked around my Grails books, the internet and this forum, but I don't see how to do this yet.

In general, how am I supposed to configure for a simple legacy database scenario in Grails?

Ben Ethridge

This is a Hibernate thing, not Grails. Hibernate defaults to using a single sequence for all tables for PK generation since Oracle doesn't support auto-increment PKs. Is this going to be read-only, or do you intend to add new records through the Grails app? If you want to assign the values directory, you can configure that with "id generator: 'assigned'", see http://grails.org/doc/latest/ref/Dat...apping/id.html

Btw you'll be better off using the User mailing list, this forum doesn't get much traffic - see http://grails.org/Mailing+Lists

Comment

I just noticed you're using Grails 1.3.7. If this is a new app you should consider using 2.1.x or 2.2.x. It won't affect this issue, but there are many significant benefits to using the more recent releases.

Comment

Originally posted by burtbeckwith View Post
        Is this going to be read-only, or do you intend to add new records through the Grails app?
        I intend to add new records.

The DBAs have all gone for the day, but I'm pretty sure they handle it with a trigger or some such. Whenever I add new rows in TOAD or Oracle SQL Developer, it auto-adds an appropriate and auto-incremented primary key. I never have to supply one, so bottom line is that the database is handling the key creation internally. Which hibernate value would I use for that design pattern?

Thanks for the heads-up about the mailing list. I'll ask there next question.

Regarding Grails version: I'm not free to move up to that. This is a fairly big shop :-)

Comment

I confirmed with the DBA just now: an Oracle sequence and a trigger. Now I just need to know which hibernate value applies for that design pattern. Anyone know?

Comment

@BusinessKey equivalent?

Also, I looked over some of our hibernate code. Apparently we use @BusinessKey, as in:

@Entity
            @Table(name = "CONTACT")
            public class Contact ...{

/** The id */
            @BusinessKey
            private Long id;
            /** The email */
            private Email email;
            }

So what would be the Grails equivalent syntax?

Comment

Ah here is more:

@Column(name = "CONTACT_ID", unique = true, nullable = false, precision = 22, scale = 0)
              @SequenceGenerator(name = "SEQ_GEN", sequenceName = "CONTACT_SEQ", allocationSize = 1)
              @Id
              @GeneratedValue(strategy = GenerationType.SEQUENCE, generator = "SEQ_GEN")
              public Long getId() {
              return this.id;
              }

Again, just trying to come up with the Grails equivalent syntax.

Comment

I think maybe I see it:

http://grails.org/doc/latest/ref/Dat...apping/id.html

I will attempt this.

Comment

Ok. Looking over the Grails syntax, the Hibernate general syntax and our specific syntax, this is what I come up with:

Code:
                  static mapping = {
                        tablePerHierarchy false
                        table 'CONTACT'
                        version false
                        id generator: 'sequence',
                          params: [name:'SEQ_GEN', sequenceName:'CONTACT_SEQ', allocationSize:1],
                          generatedValue:[strategy:GenerationType.SEQUENCE, generator:'SEQ_GEN'],
                          column:[name:'CONTACT_ID', unique:true, nullable:false, precision:22, scale:0]
                  I don't see an example of the sequence syntax in the Grails documentation link above, so I'm taking a lot of guesses on the proper syntax. Given that the above (in hibernate syntax) compiles fine in our java/hibernate environment, but the Groovy/Grails syntax throws up with this exception in my Grails environment:

Code:
                  C:\opt\grailsWorkspace\myapp>grails run-app
                  Welcome to Grails 1.3.7 - http://grails.org/
                  Licensed under Apache Standard License 2.0
                  Grails home is set to: C:\opt\grails

Base Directory: C:\opt\grailsWorkspace\myapp
                  Resolving dependencies...
                  Dependencies resolved in 1262ms.
                  Running script C:\opt\grails\scripts\RunApp.groovy
                  Environment set to development
                    [groovyc] Compiling 2 source files to C:\opt\grailsWorkspace\myapp\tar
                  get\classes
                     [delete] Deleting directory C:\Users\bethridge\.grails\1.3.7\projects\myapp\tomcat
                  Running Grails application..
                  2013-04-26 11:31:23,359 [main] ERROR context.GrailsContextLoader  - Error execut

Caused by: org.codehaus.groovy.grails.exceptions.GrailsDomainException: Error ev
                  aluating ORM mappings block for domain [intervaladmin.Contact]:  No such propert
                  y: GenerationType for class: org.codehaus.groovy.grails.orm.hibernate.cfg.Hibern
                  ateMappingBuilder
                          ... 23 more
                  Caused by: groovy.lang.MissingPropertyException: No such property: GenerationTyp
                  e for class: org.codehaus.groovy.grails.orm.hibernate.cfg.HibernateMappingBuilde
                  r
                          at intervaladmin.Contact$__clinit__closure2.doCall(Contact.groovy:28)
                          at intervaladmin.Contact$__clinit__closure2.doCall(Contact.groovy)
                          ... 23 more
                  C:\opt\grailsWorkspace\IntervalAdmin>
                  ... I'm starting to think that maybe this is more of a Grails syntax or functionality issue than a pure hibernate issue.

Is this even close to being correct? If so, what am I missing?

Ben

Comment

Moving to mailing list

I'm going to copy all this over to the mailing list now, per burtbeckwith suggestion.

Comment

I'm not sure if that's correct, but the error is just telling you that you're missing an import for javax.persistence.GenerationType

Comment

Working...
                      X