Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
dialect=org.hibernate.dialect.MySQL5InnoDBDialect failing on startup Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dialect=org.hibernate.dialect.MySQL5InnoDBDialect failing on startup

When I try to start my grails application, I get the following error with partial stacktrace):

Code:
    | Error Error executing script RunApp: INSTANCE (NOTE: Stack trace has been filtered. Use --verbose to see entire trace.)
    java.lang.NoSuchFieldError: INSTANCE
    	at org.hibernate.dialect.Dialect.<clinit>(Dialect.java:119)
    	at DataSource$_run_closure3_closure4_closure7.class$(DataSource.groovy)
    	at DataSource$_run_closure3_closure4_closure7.$get$$class$org$hibernate$dialect$MySQL5InnoDBDialect(DataSource.groovy)
    	at DataSource$_run_closure3_closure4_closure7.doCall(DataSource.groovy:19)
    	at com.springsource.loaded.ri.ReflectiveInterceptor.jlrMethodInvoke(ReflectiveInterceptor.java:1231)
    	at DataSource$_run_closure3_closure4_closure7.doCall(DataSource.groovy)
    	at com.springsource.loaded.ri.ReflectiveInterceptor.jlrMethodInvoke(ReflectiveInterceptor.java:1231)
    	at DataSource$_run_closure3_closure4_closure7.call(DataSource.groovy)
    	at java_util_concurrent_Callable$call.call(Unknown Source)
    	at DataSource.invokeMethod(DataSource.groovy)
    	at DataSource$_run_closure3.invokeMethod(DataSource.groovy)
    	at DataSource$_run_closure3_closure4.doCall(DataSource.groovy:16)
    	at DataSource$_run_closure3_closure4.doCall(DataSource.groovy)
    	at DataSource$_run_closure3_closure4.call(DataSource.groovy)
    	at java_util_concurrent_Callable$call.call(Unknown Source)
    	at DataSource.invokeMethod(DataSource.groovy)
    	at DataSource$_run_closure3.doCall(DataSource.groovy:15)
           <snipped>
    The relevant datasource is:

Code:
    environments {
    	development {
    		dataSource {
    			logSql = false
    			dbCreate = "create-drop" // one of 'create', 'create-drop','update'
    			dialect=org.hibernate.dialect.MySQL5InnoDBDialect
    			url = "jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/plover_development?tcpKeepAlive=true"
    		}
    	}
    I am running mySQL 5.5.24 and the driver is mysql-connector-java:5.1.18. It is an older driver, but it is compatible with mySQL 5.5.

Anyone else encountered a similar problem in the past?

Looks properly configured to me. What version of Grails? Any plugins installed that might bring in an older version of the Hibernate jar?

Comment

I am using Grails 2.0.4. I also have trashed the workspace, and ivy cache. My plugins don't seem to be pulling another hibernate jar:

Plug-ins you currently have installed are listed below:
      -------------------------------------------------------------
      cucumber 0.2.2 -- Cucumber Plugin
      drools-gorm 0.5.6 -- Drools Gorm
      geb 0.6.2 -- Geb integration for Grails
      hibernate 2.0.4 -- Hibernate for Grails
      janrain 1.1.0 -- Janrain Plugin
      jquery 1.7.1 -- JQuery for Grails
      jquery-ui 1.8.15 -- jQuery UI resources
      mail 1.0 -- Provides Mail support to a running Grails application
      nine-sixty-grid-system1.0 -- 960 Grid System CSS framework
      pusher 0.4 -- Pusher plugin
      rabbitmq 0.3.2 -- Rabbit MQ
      release 2.0.3 -- Release Plugin
      resources 1.1.6 -- Resources
      rest 0.7 -- REST client facilities
      rest-client-builder 1.0.2 -- REST Client Builder Plugin
      spring-security-core1.2.7.1 -- Spring Security Core Plugin
      svn 1.0.2 -- Subversion Plugin
      tagcloud 0.3 -- Tagcloud
      tomcat 2.0.4 -- Apache Tomcat plugin for Grails
      webxml 1.4.1 -- WebXmlConfig
      Something in STS preferences? This is an odd error to see (which usually means I did something really stupid).

Comment

I'd try to work this out from the commandline to reduce the number of variables. Once it's ok there you can sync up STS by running Grails Tools | Refresh Dependencies.

Try running 'grails clean' first - that's the first thing to do when you get weird errors like this. Probably won't help in this case though.

The line number that it's complaining about is this one:

Code:
        streamBindingLobTypes.add( CharacterArrayClobType.INSTANCE.getAlternatives().getStreamBindingType() );
        but that's fine in the 3.6.10 jar that Grails 2.0.4 uses. You might try running 'grails dependency-report' and opening up the report in target/dependency-report/index.html to see if there's something funky there.

Comment

Oh my. It appears that another developer might have checked in some changes that setup a Hibernate conflict. If I am reading the dependency report correctly, it looks like there are dependencies on both hibernate-core ver. 3.6.10Final and hibernate-core ver. 3.3.2GA. And refreshing ivy-cache downloads both 3.6.10F and 3.3.4GA jars. I happen to have another machine without the most recent changes (migrating to a new development computer was when I encountered this issue) which builds and runs--and generates a rather different dependency report. drools persistance seems to be involved in some way. There is a thread discussing this possibility (https://community.jboss.org/thread/200488) and mentions JPA 2 as a requirement for drools persistance. I notice on the older revision that drools has no dependencies while the new revision seems to have dependencies on both releases of hibernate-core. <sigh>

I may just roll back the most recent changes locally, rebuild the dependencies and run a new report to see if the conflicts are resolved. If they are, I will roll back his changes on github and toss the problem into his cubicle.

[update] Did a rollback and still no success and the project is still requesting hibernate-core 3.3.4GA, but at least only one jar--3.6.10Final--is being downloaded and stored in ivy. This just makes no sense at all.
          Last edited by MikeTempleman; Jul 5th, 2012, 01:15 PM.

Comment

So my hibernate-core is the right version (3.6.10 Final). Since this error occurs as datasource.groovy executed I cannot see how a .jar conflict could cause it because between my code in datasource.groovy declaring the dialect and the org.hibernate.dialect.Dialect code all I see on the stack is:

Code:
            | Error Error executing script RunApp: INSTANCE
            java.lang.NoSuchFieldError: INSTANCE
                at org.hibernate.dialect.Dialect.<clinit>(Dialect.java:119)
                at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
                at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:169)
                at DataSource$_run_closure1_closure2_closure5.class$(DataSource.groovy)
                at DataSource$_run_closure1_closure2_closure5.$get$$class$org$hibernate$dialect$MySQLInnoDBDialect(DataSource.groovy)
                at DataSource$_run_closure1_closure2_closure5.doCall(DataSource.groovy:23)
            It appears this is supposed to setup the class object Dialect:

Code:
             public abstract class Dialect {
            98      private static final Logger log = LoggerFactory.getLogger( Dialect.class );
            100     public static final String DEFAULT_BATCH_SIZE = "15";
            101     public static final String NO_BATCH = "0";

Characters used for quoting SQL identifiers
            106     public static final String QUOTE = "`\"[";
            107     public static final String CLOSED_QUOTE = "`\"]";
            109     private static final Set<BasicType> streamBindingLobTypes = new HashSet<BasicType>();
            111     static {
            112         // Blobs
            113         streamBindingLobTypes.add( BlobType.INSTANCE.getAlternatives().getStreamBindingType() );
            114         streamBindingLobTypes.add( MaterializedBlobType.INSTANCE.getAlternatives().getStreamBindingType() );
            115         streamBindingLobTypes.add( WrappedMaterializedBlobType.INSTANCE.getAlternatives().getStreamBindingType() );
            116         // Clobs
            117         streamBindingLobTypes.add( ClobType.INSTANCE.getAlternatives().getStreamBindingType() );
            118         streamBindingLobTypes.add( MaterializedClobType.INSTANCE.getAlternatives().getStreamBindingType() );
            119         streamBindingLobTypes.add( CharacterArrayClobType.INSTANCE.getAlternatives().getStreamBindingType() );
            120         streamBindingLobTypes.add( PrimitiveCharacterArrayClobType.INSTANCE.getAlternatives().getStreamBindingType() );
            121         // TODO: shouldn't SerializableToBlobType be in this list???
            122     }
            So why would the dialect setup invocation fail on using the static variable INSTANCE of CharacterArrayClobType and not for any of the other types? This type is in hibernate-core 3.6.10.Final as well as the other basic types.

38public class CharacterArrayClobType extends LobType<Character[]> {
            39 public static final CharacterArrayClobType INSTANCE = new CharacterArrayClobType();
            Last edited by MikeTempleman; Jul 5th, 2012, 08:37 PM.

Comment

If you comment out the dialect specification it'll just fail later on since the Dialect class is eventually used by Grails and Hibernate. It has nothing to do with your setting - the static initializer in the Dialect class is referring to a non-existent field, so it has to be a jar issue.

Create a simple app with no plugins other than what you get initially and configure DataSource.groovy like you have here and it will work fine.

Comment

Good suggestion. I built a test application using mySQL and the MySQL5InnoDBDialect--it ran without a problem. I then added drools-gorm 0.5.6--which required the hibernate-core 3.3.2GA jar (evicted by the hibernate-core 3.6.10.Final) and got the exact same error when trying to run the test application.

heh. So now that I have found the problem, fixing it maybe another matter entirely. JBoss just released drools 5.4 which may have been the source of this problem, I am not sure. I still don't understand why one machine has an entirely different dependency report than a clean machine.

thanks a bunch for the feedback and helpful suggestions.

Comment

So I think I need to force grails to load the hibernate-core-3.3.2.GA.jar instead of the later 3.6.10.Final. Otherwise I will have to dive into drools-gorm plugin to see if I can upgrade it to the most recent release--something I am not prepared to do right now.

However, I don't seem to be able to force Grails to load the earlier version of hibernate-core. This:

excludes "hibernate-core-3.6.10.Final"

Doesn't work. Maybe because hibernate-core is loaded as part of grails 2.0.4. I don't know. Any suggestions?

Comment

It's doable but then Grails won't work since it's compiled with 3.6.10 and (as you've seen) it's not compatible with 3.3.2. Drools-GORM has to be upgraded, or you can use Grails 1.3.9 which uses Hibernate 3.3.1 (should be compatible with 3.3.2).

Comment

I would much prefer not to roll back to grails 1.3.9. We have a lot of code written under grails 2.0.x and I suspect that a major rollback like that would be very painful. otoh, after forking drools-gorm and looking at bringing it up to date, I find that the drools/jbpm/hibernate environments are rather different than assumed in drools-gorm so that could be just as much effort.

<sigh> already lost 3 days this week, which puts me at least a month behind schedule. I didn't need this extra aggravation...

Comment

It turns out that excluding hibernate-annotations prevents this particular problem. I don't know if any other problems remain because we just removed use of drools-gorm and reference drools jars directly.

Comment

Working...
                        X