Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did STS 2.9.2 break my Grails apps?

Hi all,

I'm new to both Grails and STS. Over the path month I've used STS to build a couple of Grails apps following some tutorials to get a feel for how it works. When I started STS the other day, it notified me of the 2.9.2 upgrade -- I'd been using 2.9.1 -- so I went ahead and installed it. I then started getting a number of strange errors that I hadn't seen before. I restarted STS and did a "grails clean" from the command prompt but that didn't help. I opened another project that I hadn't worked on in a couple weeks and it suddenly had the same errors. Here's a sample:

When I open a project in STS, I get 50+ warnings on the Markers tab:
    JSP Problems
    The tag handler class for "bundle" (org.apache.taglibs.standard.tag.rt.fmt.BundleTag) was not found on the Java Build Path, fmt.tld, /racetrack/web-app/WEB-INF/tld
    The tag handler class for "catch" (org.apache.taglibs.standard.tag.common.core.Catch Tag) was not found on the Java Build Path, c.tld, /racetrack/web-app/WEB-INF/tld
    [many more of these...]
    The TagLibraryValidator subclass {0} was not found on the Java Build Path, c.tld, /racetrack/web-app/WEB-INF/tld
    Undefined attribute name (role) [several of these, details see below]
    Java Problems
    The import grails.test.mixin is never used
    The import org.junit is never used
    The resource is a duplicate of .link_to_grails_plugins/hibernate-2.0.3/grails-app/i18n/messages.properties and was not copied to the output folder

A line like this one from index.gsp is where the "Undefined attribute name (role)" messages are coming from:
    <div id="status" role="complementary">

I can run the apps from the command line without any problems so this is only a problem within STS. Something is apparently broken between STS and Grails/Groovy/Java but I have no idea how to reset it.

Here are the relevant versions shown on the start page of my apps:
    Grails version: 2.0.3
    Groovy version: 1.8.6
    JVM version: 1.7.0_02

When I click the "Show Installed" checkbox on the Extensions tab of the Dashboard I see "Grails (current production release) (installed)" listed under Language and Frameworks, and have both "Grails Support (installed)" and "Groovy Eclipse (installed)" under Language and Framework Tooling. The only version of Grails I have is 2.0.3 and it is selected under Preferences - Groovy - Grails.

Can anyone offer any advice on what may be broken and how to straighten things out?

Thanks, Mark

I agree with your experience but I am now sure that it is not STS 292 (as such) causing the problems. It is a good as 291 281 etc. Old code with old grails eg 1.3.5 and old groovy 1.7 all work as it always did.

I think the core issue is new grails (i have also added 2.0.4) + new compiler with OLD code throws up "probs" that previous versions accepted but probally should not have.

ONE thing to look out for that they never tell you is that grails caches a LOT of project stuff under

<home>/<user>/.grails/<grails-ver-no>/projects/<project-name>/

if you are playing with examples that have the same NAME in each chapter of a book then you get collisions on this CACHE and nothing works quite as it did yesterday. Clearing it out <for me> returned a lot of stability. (ANd refactoring the name as soon as I could)

Hint - To speed up the cache re-fill install Artifactory

P.S.
    And sometimes you just have to run a "clean" to fix 'stange' problems.
    http://grails.1312388.n4.nabble.com/...td2318472.html
    As the above (from 2009) shows, it just fixed my problem.

I hope the helps.
    Last edited by RogerPf; Jun 12th, 2012, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X