X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Controller not finding domain class

I have been attempting to add some new functionality to an existing grails application. I started by adding a simple domain class through the console:

Code:
    package com.xfitlog

class ProgramType {
    	String name
    	String description

static constraints = {
    		name( nullable: false, unique: true )
    		description( nullable: false )
        }

String toString() {
    		"${name}"	
    	}
    }
    I then created a simple controller through the console:

Code:
    package com.xfitlog

class ProgramTypeController {

static scaffold = ProgramType
    }
    When I execute grails run-app and navigate to the controller page I get this error:

ERROR plugins.DefaultGrailsPlugin - Cannot generate controller logic for scaffolded class class com.xfitlog.ProgramType. It is not a domain class!

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this in an application that is already up and running?

When you say you added a simple domain class "through the console", what do you mean exactly? In other words, what were your exact steps? Were you in interactive mode?

Comment

I first created the domain class using the grails create-domain-class command in the windows command prompt. I then opened up the .groovy file that was created and edited it. After that I created the controller through the windows command prompt with grails create-controller. I then opened up the controller file created and edited it.

Comment

I've also noticed that the controller does not appear on the Available Controllers list after the project builds. If I make any change to the controller file then save it I will get the following error:

[Thread-610] ERROR plugins.DefaultGrailsPlugin - Cannot generate controller logic for scaffolded class class com.xfitlog.ProgramType. It is not a domain class!

I think that something has gone wrong with the grails files or hibernate, but I'm not sure where to start looking.

Comment

What version of Grails? Are you doing any of these steps from an IDE? How are you starting the application?

Comment

I'm using version 1.3.7 and I haven't had any problems with it up until I tried to create this new domain class. All of these steps are through the Windows Command Prompt and Notepad++.

Thanks

Comment

So you have other domain classes that you can scaffold fine? If so, that would indicate issues with the domain class definition. Perhaps its name. Try a different class name, such as ProgType. If that doesn't work, try adding this line to your logging configuration:

Code:
              debug  'org.codehaus.groovy.grails.orm.hibernate'
              You'll have to remove that package from the 'error' or 'warn' line at the same time.

Comment

I changed the name of the domain and controller to 'ProgType' and got the same error.

Can you tell me where the logging configuration file is?

Comment

grails-app/conf/Config.groovy - you'll find a line starting 'log4j = {' which is where the logging configuration is.

Comment

Thanks!

I've got the Config.groovy logging code set and I've restarted the app. The debug spit out a ton of stuff but I don't see anything that mentions 'ProgramType'.

What do I need to look for in the debug log?

Comment

Something like this:

<pre>

2011-08-09 16:12:16,442 [Thread-10] DEBUG cfg.GrailsAnnotationConfiguration - [GrailsAnnotationConfiguration] [1] Grails domain classes to bind to persistence runtime
                      2011-08-09 16:12:16,456 [Thread-10] DEBUG cfg.GrailsAnnotationConfiguration - [GrailsAnnotationConfiguration] Binding persistent class [org.example.ProgramType]
                      2011-08-09 16:12:16,457 [Thread-10] DEBUG cfg.GrailsDomainBinder - [GrailsDomainBinder] Mapping Grails domain class: org.example.ProgramType -> program_type
                      2011-08-09 16:12:16,479 [Thread-10] DEBUG cfg.GrailsDomainBinder - [GrailsDomainBinder] bound property [id] to column name [id] in table [program_type]
                      2011-08-09 16:12:16,486 [Thread-10] DEBUG cfg.GrailsDomainBinder - [GrailsDomainBinder] bound property [version] to column name [version] in table [program_type]
                      2011-08-09 16:12:16,488 [Thread-10] DEBUG cfg.GrailsDomainBinder - [GrailsDomainBinder] Binding persistent property [description]
                      2011-08-09 16:12:16,491 [Thread-10] DEBUG cfg.GrailsDomainBinder - [GrailsDomainBinder] Binding property [description] as SimpleValue
                      2011-08-09 16:12:16,491 [Thread-10] DEBUG cfg.GrailsDomainBinder - [GrailsDomainBinder] bound property [description] to column name [description] in table [program_type]
                      2011-08-09 16:12:16,491 [Thread-10] DEBUG cfg.GrailsDomainBinder - [GrailsDomainBinder] Binding persistent property [name]
                      2011-08-09 16:12:16,492 [Thread-10] DEBUG cfg.GrailsDomainBinder - [GrailsDomainBinder] Binding property [name] as SimpleValue
                      2011-08-09 16:12:16,492 [Thread-10] DEBUG cfg.GrailsDomainBinder - [GrailsDomainBinder] bound property [name] to column name [name] in table [program_type]
                      2011-08-09 16:12:16,720 [Thread-10] INFO hibernate.ConfigurableLocalSessionFactoryBean - Building new Hibernate SessionFactory
                      2011-08-09 16:12:16,720 [Thread-10] DEBUG cfg.GrailsAnnotationConfiguration - [GrailsAnnotationConfiguration] Setting context class loader to Grails GroovyClassLoader
                      2011-08-09 16:12:17,160 [Thread-10] INFO hibernate.GrailsHibernateTransactionManager - Using DataSource [org.springframework.jdbc.datasource.TransactionAwa reDataSourceProxy@1806e9d2] of Hibernate SessionFactory for HibernateTransactionManager
                      </pre>

Comment

I'm seeing lines like that for all of my other domain classes but nothing for 'ProgramType'. It almost seems like hibernate isn't seeing it at all.

Comment

I've changed the code in my controller 3 times. Each time I get a different error message.

If I use this line to get the scaffolding:
                          Code:
                          static scaffold = ProgramType
                          I get this error:

2011-08-09 16:22:58,570 [Thread-58] ERROR plugins.DefaultGrailsPlugin - Cannot generate controller logic for scaffolded class class com.xfitlog.ProgramType. It is not a domain class!
                          If I use this code:

Code:
                          def scaffold = true
                          I get this error:

2011-08-09 16:20:53,602 [Thread-33] ERROR plugins.DefaultGrailsPlugin - Cannot generate controller logic for scaffolded class true. It is not a domain class!
                          2011-08-09 16:21:18,211 [http-8080-1] ERROR errors.GrailsExceptionResolver - Exception occurred when processing request: [GET] /xfitlog/programType/scaffold
                          Stacktrace follows:
                          java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.Boolean cannot be cast to groovy.lang.Closure
                          at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
                          and if I use the code generated by the generate all command I get this error:

2011-08-09 16:25:28,272 [http-8080-5] ERROR errors.GrailsExceptionResolver - Exception occurred when processing request: [GET] /xfitlog/programType/list
                          Stacktrace follows:
                          groovy.lang.MissingMethodException: No signature of method: static com.xfitlog.ProgramType.list() is applicable for argument types: (org.codehaus.groovy.grails.web.servlet.mvc.Grails ParameterMap) valu
                          es: [[action:list, controllerrogramType, max:10]]
                          Possible solutions: is(java.lang.Object), wait(), wait(long), print(java.io.PrintWriter), split(groovy.lang.Closure), use([Ljava.lang.Object
                          at com.xfitlog.ProgramTypeController$_closure2.doCall (ProgramTypeController.groovy:31)
                          at com.xfitlog.ProgramTypeController$_closure2.doCall (ProgramTypeController.groovy)
                          at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

Comment

Have you tried removing your 'target' directory and possibly recreating the ProgramType domain class? All the above errors mean the same thing: Grails is not seeing ProgramType as a domain class. Is there no difference between it and the other domain classes?

Comment

I removed the 'target' directory and rebuilt the project. Resulted in the same error.

I tried to create a more complex domain object before 'ProgramType'. That is when I first noticed the error. I created 'ProgramType' as a very simple object to try and isolate the problem.

I'm beginning to wonder If I screwed the project up by introducing a MySQL DB connection in the test environment. Here is my DataSource.groovy code. Let me know if anything looks amiss.

Code:
                              dataSource {
                                  pooled = true
                                  driverClassName = "org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver"
                                  username = "sa"
                                  password = ""
                              }
                              hibernate {
                                  cache.use_second_level_cache = true
                                  cache.use_query_cache = true
                                  cache.provider_class = 'net.sf.ehcache.hibernate.EhCacheProvider'
                              }
                              // environment specific settings
                              environments {
                                  development {
                                      dataSource {
                                          dbCreate = "update" // one of 'create', 'create-drop','update'
                                          url = "jdbc:hsqldb:file:devDb;shutdown=true"
                                      }
                                  }
                                  test {
                                      dataSource {
                              			pooled = true
                              			driverClassName = "com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"
                              			url = "jdbc:mysql://localhost/public" //"jdbc:mysql://localhost/xfitlog"
                              			dbCreate = "update"
                              			username = "sa"
                              			password = ""
                              			dialect = org.hibernate.dialect.MySQL5InnoDBDialect
                                      }
                                  }
                                  production {
                                      dataSource {
                                          dbCreate = "update"
                              			url = "jdbc:hsqldb:file:prodDb;shutdown=true"
                              			// AWS RDS
                                          //url = "jdbc:mysql://ironworkslog.cat4owdsmbkz.us-east-1.rds.amazonaws.com:3306/ironworkslog"
                              			//Instance: IronWorksLog
                              			//UserName: ironworks_user
                              			//Password: xfitLogBitch
                                      }
                                  }
                              }
                              Thanks for your continued help!!

Comment

Working...
                              X