Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RabbitMq plugin additional listeners

Hi guys,

Peter if your reading, thanks for a great plugin.

I have a small question regarding how to implement listeners to the connection.

Currently if the rabbitmq server is down it throws an AlreadyClosedException,

I want to catch this and send an email to notify an admin that we have a problem with the messaging.

I Have tried wrapping the rabbitSend in a try catch block but no luck

Also I noticed there is the ability to get info on the reason why it cant access the rabbitmq server using (from RabbitMQ API GUIDE)

Code:
    connection.addShutdownListener(new ShutdownListener() {
        public void shutdownCompleted(ShutdownSignalException cause)
        {
        }
    });
    Is it also possible to recover from a AlreadyClosedException once the rabbitMq server has been restarted

Basically how do you expose the connection and channels to my grails app so I can deal with them directly or is this functionality already in place and i am missing something.

Thanks in advance

Antony Jukes
    Last edited by ajukes; Jun 8th, 2011, 01:42 PM. Reason: additional info

Getting hold of the connections and channels directly is tricky since these are created on demand by Spring AMQP. For the particular problem you want to solve, I suggest checking out the section on error handlers in the Spring AMQP user guide.

Every service that has a
    Code:
    rabbitQueue
    or
    Code:
    rabbitSubscribe
    property will result in a bean called
    Code:
    <serviceName>_MessageListenerContainer
    . So, you just need to grab all beans with that suffix (probably in a BeanFactoryPostProcessor) and set their
    Code:
    errorHandler
    properties to your error handler bean.

I would raise one or more issues if you would like extra features.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Peter,

Sorry if I am being obtuse but how would you go about setting the errorHandler. I think I need to spend some time to understand the whole spring beans injection etc!

I have one service called NotifyServerService, which is publishing messages using rabbit send (I also have a consumer in a different app which needs the same handling). Would you place it in resources.xml like such:

Code:
      notifyServerService_MessageListenerContainer(SimpleMessageListenerContainer) {
              connectionFactory = ref("rabbitMQConnectionFactory")
              errorHandler = ref("myNewErrorHandler")
      }

//This throws:
      //Failed to start bean 'notifyServerService_MessageListenerContainer'; nested exception is org.springframework.amqp.UncategorizedAmqpException: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Queue //name must not be null.
      I assume im kinda on the right tracks but i need to use the connectionFactory from the plugin and just add a listener to it. If i remove the connectionFactory line it complains that there is no connectionFactory.

Thanks for the help

Antony Jukes

Comment

The error handler can be set in a couple of ways. First, provide your own bean definition (as you do in the above example) and do a
        Code:
        errorHandler = ref("myErrorHandler")
        in the bean definition. Second, you could implement a BeanFactoryPostProcessor that sets the property. This is core Spring stuff, so I would look at the Spring user guide and Spring articles.

That said, I think there is some confusion here. The
        Code:
        SimpleMessageListenerContainer
        class is only for AMQP consumers, not producers. The
        Code:
        rabbitSend()
        method uses an instance of
        Code:
        RabbitTemplate
        to send the messages. The method call itself should throw an exception that you can catch.

Comment

Working...
        X