X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spring vs seam for ExtJS/JBoss/EJB3/MySQL

I am working on a web application that uses ExtJS for the front end and EJB for the middle tier. We use JBoss Portal for the server and MySQL for the database. I was wondering what are the benefits, pros/cons to using spring versus seam to integrate the front end with the middle tier.
    I have researched a lot about comparisons between seam and spring, but not too many topics were available regarding integration with ExtJS and EJB.

Thanks for the help!

Hi,

I tried out Seam a while ago. As I see it, Seam's goal is to act as a "glue" between the many JBoss components (RichFaces, jBPM, Rules, etc...) in a web application, and its creators have a strict view of how it should be used. Spring is much more flexible in that is can be added to a project incrementally and only where you want it.

What exactly are your requirements? If I understand correctly, it seems that you need a layer that handles the JSON over HTTP on the server side. Spring MVC can be used for that, including automatic mapping between JSON string and Java objects, so after a one time configuration you can write controller methods that receive and return POJOs and the JSON serialization and deserialization is transparent. Also may be a good idea to take a look at Grails, where it's even simpler to do. I don't know how it's done in Seam.

You should prototype your project with both frameworks and see which works best for you. Eventually it's a matter of taste.

Comment

Working...
    X