X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overkill? Weblogic + Spring + Webflow + Groovy/Grails

I'm new to J2EE and have been fooling around with various app servers. I'm currently investigating Weblogic. Some of their documentation talks about using Spring on top of the server. I'm also looking at Webflow, and contemplating Groovy/Grails. I want to know if using all these apps is overkill. Also, any suggestions as to whether I should use Weblogic or Websphere. Thanks in advance.

These aren't "apps", they're frameworks. If you want to learn about all of these frameworks, go ahead. They all have their advantages. That has little to do with designing an application, however. You use frameworks that fulfill your needs for an application, you don't just pile on all the reasonable ones in haphazard ways.

Oracle supports Spring-based applications in WebLogic, in that you could probably get help from Oracle support if you have an issue with Spring and WebLogic integration. It's not a big deal, in any case. Spring will work fine in both WebLogic and Websphere, but there are always issues with complex integrations.

Use of WebLogic or Websphere is typically a decision made within a large enterprise. What you get for the license cost are vertical integration capabilities, dedicated support, and platform certifications. I've used WebLogic for many years. However, there's nothing wrong with Tomcat or JBoss. You just have to understand that each has tradeoffs.

Comment

Working...
    X