• Show
Clear All

• Transaction management

Hi all,
    I have a service method which is transactional.I have two calls
    1.a call to update a local Mysql db.
    2.Call a web service to update another database
    My requirement is to make both of these in a transactional.i.e if one fails
    both of them should fail ,or else if both of them are success.both of them should commit
    How can i accomplish this?.
    thanks in advance for any help in this regard .

Not clear.

I am not clear what exactly you say. When you say webservice call, is it something happens outside spring container. In such case, i guess it is not possible. Transaction can be controlled only if the components are part of the same spring container.

Comment

AP1 ----> DB1
      AP2 ----> DB2

Application 1(AP1) updates DB1,Application 2(AP2) updates DB2.
      I send a web service call from AP1 to A2 to update DB2.AP1,AP2 may reside on
      same server or different servers.
      My problem is to achieve transaction control in the case:
      AP1 updates DB1 and web service call from AP1 to AP2 updates DB2

If this is not possible,can u suggest any suitable workaround ?
      Thanks in advance

Comment

Web services, by definition, are external black boxes that your local application has no control of but should only be able to send requests to and receive responses from based on a published contract. If you are designing a system where you assume that you should have control over both sub-systems, than, perhaps, a WS approach is not applicable.

Comment

Call to Ap2 is webservice and you dont have control over it...read the soap header message from AP2 call

and handle the exception in case of error from AP2... this way you can control transaction on AP1....
          Last edited by pathangi; Mar 18th, 2009, 10:05 AM.

Comment

pathangi, you must have replaced your last post... The following was my response to what you had removed:

When you deal with web services, it is not very appropriate to assume anything about the implementation details of the web service, e.g. the technology, the data source behind it, etc. You are assuming that there is a database there, which would be indeed the case in this example, but, it is not a correct way to approach web services, really. Even if you write the client and the WS (with everything behind it) yourself, the main point about a WS is that any client does not need to, and should not assume anything about what's inside. The clients only should be aware of what they can ask for, and what they can expect to get back. The should not assume any "commits" that happen behind the WS interface. That's my take on it. (I agree with what you said in the final edit of your last post.)
            Last edited by constv; Mar 18th, 2009, 10:19 AM.

Comment

H-m-m, strictly speaking it is not exactly so - there are some standards defining WEb Service participation in a transaction, you may want to look here: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/we...y/ws-transjta/
              and here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...Specifications
              If this info is applicable to this particular case is another matter.

Regards,
              Oleksandr
              Originally posted by constv View Post
              pathangi, you must have replaced your last post... The following was my response to what you had removed:

When you deal with web services, it is not very appropriate to assume anything about the implementation details of the web service, e.g. the technology, the data source behind it, etc. You are assuming that there is a database there, which would be indeed the case in this example, but, it is not a correct way to approach web services, really. Even if you write the client and the WS (with everything behind it) yourself, the main point about a WS is that any client does not need to, and should not assume anything about what's inside. The clients only should be aware of what they can ask for, and what they can expect to get back. The should not assume any "commits" that happen behind the WS interface. That's my take on it. (I agree with what you said in the final edit of your last post.)

Comment

Olexandr, thanks for the links. Without a doubt, such transactionality may be achieved, but that would require introducing additional external coordinators and making the participating apps aware of the coordinator context, as the article describes. Not sure if that was what sbhatt had in mind.

Comment

Exactly, it is why I have written "f this info is applicable to this particular case is another matter.". BTW, I'm now faced with a requirement to include Web-services in a transaction in more or less generic way (we provide services that customers should be able call transactionally), but have not find satisfying solution yet.
                  Olexandr, thanks for the links. Without a doubt, such transactionality may be achieved, but that would require introducing additional external coordinators and making the participating apps aware of the coordinator context, as the article describes. Not sure if that was what sbhatt had in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by pathangi View Post
                    Call to Ap2 is webservice and you dont have control over it...read the soap header message from AP2 call

and handle the exception in case of error from AP2... this way you can control transaction on AP1....
                    Wot abt the case where ,if exception is raised in AP1 ,The transactions in AP1
                    along with AP2 has to be rolled back

Comment

Thanks,
                      How can i implement external coordinaters.How can i make both Applications
                      to listen to that external coordinator?

Comment

For WebServices transactions, you can look at the JBoss TransactionManager :

http://www.jboss.org/jbosstm

Comment

Working...
                        X