X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dejanp View Post
    For you perhaps, but you are not writing the application and documentation for yourself.

You should have many diagrams, showing different facets of the schema. One diagram representing all the tables of a non-trivial system is as usefull as reading a telephone book from cover to cover.
    Documentation, first of all, shal lbe useful. To be useful it shall be concise, or nobody would read it And text is unbeaten in this area (save mathematical formulas, but htat another matter). And you would not believe how many peoples have started projects with me screaming for diagrams and ended with (almost) all diagrams in trash cans and (almost) all descriptions in text.

Diagrams are great for teaching purpose, for presentation to peoples that anyway would undestand nothing and for child-toy projects. In real life (from my experience) the do not pay for yourself.

But this, really, does not belong to this thread and even to this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by dr_pompeii View Post
      pretty number
      Really, it was very small number achived with very careful DB design as many applications with similar functionality (it was almost "all-in-one" banking system) use literally thousands of tables.

Comment

Originally posted by al0 View Post
        Documentation, first of all, shal lbe useful. To be useful it shall be concise, or nobody would read it And text is unbeaten in this area (save mathematical formulas, but htat another matter). And you would not believe how many peoples have started projects with me screaming for diagrams and ended with (almost) all diagrams in trash cans and (almost) all descriptions in text.

Diagrams are great for teaching purpose, for presentation to peoples that anyway would undestand nothing and for child-toy projects. In real life (from my experience) the do not pay for yourself.

But this, really, does not belong to this thread and even to this forum.
        Agreed, I'm not talking about ER diagrams as only documentation but ER designer tools as documentation managers - they allow you to add your free text comments to anything you want. You can always generate commented ddls from ER tools. You can not generate meaningfull ER diagrams from ddl.

Comment

Agreed, I'm not talking about ER diagrams as only documentation but ER designer tools as documentation managers - they allow you to add your free text comments to anything you want. You can always generate commented ddls from ER tools. You can not generate meaningfull ER diagrams from ddl.
          I (and my teams) have worked with them and have dropped them as absolutely unsatisfactory, their hottest proponents have completely resigned.

And yes, I can not generate meaningful ER diagrams from ddl, but I seriously doubt if such beast as "meaningful ER diagram" exists at all.

You know XP motto "code is a design". The same is applicable to the DB design.

And anyway those tools usually require some manual manipulation of generated scripts, as they do not support DBs 100% (a specially newest DB versions).

But to great extent it is matter of taste so no discussion point.

Comment

You know XP motto "code is a design". The same is applicable to the DB design.
            Yes, and I don't believe in XP.

But to great extent it is matter of taste so no discussion point.
            Ok, agreed.

Comment

Yes, and I don't believe in XP.

Ok, agreed.
              I do not believe in XP as well, but it works. Sometime. And anyway this or that flavor of agile development is usually a best possible choice (with some exceptions). Myself have used these agile approaches many years before the term was coined. Somewhen from early 80-s. And it works.

Comment

Write the new/update old files, generate scripts to update database schema with hbm2ddl.update by redirecting output to the file (it is described in the Hibernate reference, 20.1.5, 20.1.6),
                http://www.hibernate.org/hib_docs/v3...lsetguide-s1-6

just really wondered
                why a few information about of this important topic

Comment

There are a lot of free tools for MySQL. Do a search for MySQL data modeler

Here are some:

http://www.modelright.com/download/modelright2setup.msi

http://www.casestudio.com/enu/

Comment

http://www.hibernate.org/hib_docs/v3...lsetguide-s1-6

just really wondered
                    why a few information about of this important topic
                    Because this topic is not such important, the Hibernate authors can not imagine even in nightmare that somebody will try it in production

More seriously, Reference is just reference, strictly technical document with probably few examples. For all other things - books, articles, etc. And "Java Persistence with Hibernate" is a must for anybody who plan serious development with Hibernate.

And one more - the whole philosophy of Hibernate - we provide you with log of options, it is your responsibility to decide which suit you, weigh advantages and risks yourself. BTW, probably you have noticed that Hibernate forums (unlike Spring ones) are not so much supportive.

Regards,
                    Oleksandr

Comment

al0
                      the Hibernate authors can not imagine even in nightmare that somebody will try it in production
                      i would be agree, but what happens with a last requeriment od last time?
                      is it possible this situation right?

And "Java Persistence with Hibernate" is a must for anybody who plan serious development with Hibernate.
                      i prefer the first edition, Hibernate in Action

Code:
                      BTW, probably you have noticed that Hibernate forums (unlike Spring ones) are not so much supportive.
                      thats right, and i hate its system of credits

regards friend

Comment

al0

i would be agree, but what happens with a last requeriment od last time?
                        is it possible this situation right?
                        This is quite typical situation but nobody add such change directly to production. So you use this option but not for direct database update, but for script generation. apply this script in development and or test environment, test results and only then apply tested script to production. But we have already discussed this before

i prefer the first edition, Hibernate in Action
                        Great book and not so fat as new edition, but Hibernate 2.0 based. Many things have changed. And some things are really better explained in new version.

Regards,
                        Oleksandr

Comment

Working...
                        X