Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Service Data Aggregation

Hello,

I am looking for some suggestions on aggregating data from multiple services. Currently, I have multiple Spring based services that each have some type of stock data (pricing, sector/industry, earnings and revenues). In many cases I need to aggregate data based on a query request that could span multiple services (e.g. price > X and eps > Y). There could be a number of clients, so I don't want to aggregate at in the client layer which is something I have done in the past with some ugly looking code. If you have any ideas or have done something similiar and ran into some gotchas, I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

Just create a couple of layers of DAO. Usually, one each per service, then an aggregation layer to aggregate the data from each service's DAO into a reasonable interface for your application. It seems like a little more work but maintenance will be easier. Plus, your DI setup will be less complex.

Comment

Object querying and filtering

I like the approach, but what about how to handle a particular query. For example, say I have a query like price > 25 and eps > 1.0. Now say I have one service that returns the data for price and one that returns the data for eps. Say the data is an object of a different class for each (e.g. Price class and an Earnings class). What is the best way to handle queries when needing to aggregate data across objects based on a search criteria. Should I use something like JoSql or JXpath. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks.

Comment

If you have the chance to do it in the database, it would go for this solution. The database has a powerful query language, and executing it in the database prevents unnecessary retrieval of data.

[second rule of optimization]
        you don't need to optimize what is not executed
        Last edited by Alarmnummer; Nov 2nd, 2007, 05:56 AM.

Comment

I don't have any control at the database level. The services I mentioned and potentially other services are owned by different teams. So I have to go through all these services to collect the data.

Comment

Working...
          X