Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparison between Spring and its Competitors needed

Hi there,

i need some facts "why to use Spring". I know, there are more
    IoC-containers (Pico, Hivemind, Cocoon(?) ).
    But which advantages give me Spring and which other frameworks
    are the most important competitors?

I´ve searched the web, but did not found some really hard facts
    and feature-comparisons.

The comparison is needed to decide which container to use
    for an Webapp with JSF and Hibernate.

Can anybody give me some stuff and/or links?
    I´ve found an link to an comparisonsheet on springs-Website
    but the document was not found. (link is dead)

Please help me, its urgent for me.

THX.

The most important competitors in IoC and probably HiveMind and Pico. However, on an IoC feature-by-feature comparison I think you'll find that Spring has more features.

Spring has many unique features beyond such competitors, which is why it is so much more widely adopted. It isn't limited to IoC, but also provides integrated AOP functionality useful for declarative transaction management etc.

Spring also provides a rich set of service abstractions, which no competing framework matches. E.g. Spring enables declarative or programmatic transaction management with no Java code changes whether in a JTA or local transaction environment.

Spring has far more sophisticated data access features than competing frameworks, with a powerful approach that enables platform-independent DAO interfaces implemented with a choice of multiple technologies, such as Hibernate, JDBC, TopLink, JDO etc. Spring also has its own powerful JDBC abstraction layer, which AFAIK is superior to any alternative library for simplifying JDBC access and reducing the potential for errors. For example, Spring's Hibernate integration will significantly reduce the amount of code you need to write to use Hibernate and improve your productivity. No competing framework has a comparable integration for an ORM tool--yet Spring provides this not just for Hibernate, but for TopLink, JDO etc as well.

All these features are integrated into a coherent whole, meaning that you don't need to cobble together numerous different frameworks to achieve a less satisfactory result at much greater effort.

There are also a host integrations available around Spring, for example for JSF, Quartz, Jasper Reports, Velocity, FreeMarker...

Spring has a much larger development community, as well as user community, than these competing frameworks, as well as a company investing in the technology, so its lead is likely to increase over time.

Finally, Spring has a significant and growing body of books on it, beginning with Expert One-on-One J2EE Design and Development, which led to Spring's foundation. J2EE without EJB, Spring Live, Better Faster Lighter Java, Spring in Action, Pro Spring etc. with more books on the way. No competing framework is close to the same level of adoption or documentation.

Comment

Thanks for your reply, it´s very helpfull.

Do you know, where the sheet "Spring- A lightweight-Container", written by Jürgen Hoeller is? I have found many links on other sides to this document @ Springs website, but they all are dead. I think that sheet contains some hard facts and features in an direct comparison?

thanks.

Comment

Working...
      X