Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which? : tomcat or jboss with Spring

Hello guys

i need and require your experience

what good reasons i need to work with Spring/Jboss or Spring/tomcat???

i heard that jboss is an ejb container and tomcat not (servlet container),
    and maybe jboss is more heavy in resources than tomcat

but now Spring with both, ...... which should i choice and why?
    i never work with jboss only with tomcat.

now
    is there a special configuration for Spring/Jboss together??
    in the context etc etc

thanks for advanced

I don't think Spring even comes into the consideration of which application container to use. Spring will provide a great value to either container. If you have need for the features that jboss provides, then use jboss, otherwise, use tomcat. As you noted, tomcat is a servlet container, and if that fits your needs, then there is no need to use jboss.

JBoss does include a servlet container (tomcat is one of the possibilities) and adds a lot more besides, like the capability to host EJBs, and a whole lot more.

You may also want to use a jboss container if you anticipate you will grow beyond your current needs, and maybe want to add a workflow, ESB, etc.

Since you are already familiar with Tomcat, why not browse through the JBoss site to see what they offer?

Comment

hi dlaidlaw

thanks for the reply

it seems that each software offers its own features, if you can share a link with differences (test lab) between them , i appreciate

tell me if i use spring/jboss, would i need a special configuration???

regards

Comment

Well, as I mentioned, JBoss includes a servlet container. So the difference is all the things JBoss does in addition to what Tomcat does. Tomcat is also configured in a slightly different way when run inside JBoss.

You do not need a special spring configuration to run Spring inside of JBoss. You can use it they way you have always used it.

I know of nothing that compares and contrasts tomcat and jboss. It would be like comparing an apple to a box of fruit that also contains an apple.

Comment

You do not need a special spring configuration to run Spring inside of JBoss. You can use it they way you have always used it.
          good advice

I know of nothing that compares and contrasts tomcat and jboss.
          thats the problem, if i want start a project from scratch with spring,
          which software should i choice?

i never work before with jboss, before of the existence of Spring, i heard that has a servlet container and of course is a j2ee container too

regards

Comment

What technologies does your application use? e.g. JMS, JTA, EJB If you don't need all the application server features, Tomcat/Jetty might be the way to go.

Comment

JMS, JTA, EJB
              the 2 last are specific in JEE , the first i dont know
              but if i dont bad remember Spring can work with both

i am little confuse

regards

Comment

Spring does have integration with all of these technologies, what I meant though is what are you planning to use in your application? The projects I haven't worked on in the past have all run on a servlet container, we had no real need to deploy on an application server.

Comment

Working...
                X