Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ha ha ha LMAO (pardon me here), Lately I have started to notice I am building plans for everything, including my son's after meal walk (stuff like where i am going to take him, how am i going to get there, how far are we going to walk instead of just go somewhere and take a freaking walk). So, I am not the only one to say "too much of software for me now".

Comment

Originally posted by Nik View Post
      Yep. Flex, GWT etc. I've only glanced at them - if they are still in the news a year from now I'll look into them. And if they overlap too much which something I already know, they have to be *very* nice for me to switch, no point in running after everything new and shiny. Most things can be done with several technologies anyway.
      I would absolutely agree. You'll get a series of a few months where everyones writing a few X framework. Web, Testing, ORM, Docking, it's IoC now........

Originally posted by Nik View Post
      This is one reason I've started reading more about design, architecture, patterns and methodologies - the information stays "current" much longer.
      I would agree again. I actually find the abstract stuff more interesting than the implementation anyway.
      Last edited by karldmoore; Aug 29th, 2007, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by karldmoore View Post
        I would agree again. I actually find the abstract stuff more interesting than the implementation anyway.
        Theory is nice. After reading for a while you have a clear picture of how you will design your next application but as they say, "No battle plan ever survives first contact with the enemy"

Comment

Very nice, I'll have to try and use that quote more in conversation .

Comment

I wonder who is the enemy in this case

Jörg

Comment

Originally posted by Jörg Heinicke View Post
              I wonder who is the enemy in this case

Jörg
              The mighties of foes, reality Topic-drift detected...

Comment

Top drift, on this forum.......................... never .

Comment

From what I recently read, I'd recommend "Java concurrency in practice". It's very likely that sooner or later you'll have to cope with threading issues, and this books gives a good grasp of the topic.

Other then that, Agile Database techniques is cool and enjoyable read.

Comment

Design Pattern good book

You can also read 'Head First Design Patterns'. I have read it and its very good book.

Comment

I confirm; Headfirst Design Patterns is not your regular technical book. Very readable and written in unusual style.

My recent reads from the Martin Fowler Signature series:

Beyond Software Architecture - covers important aspects of software architecture from the point of view of both technical and marketing person.

Enterprise Integration Patterns - if you want to do any systems integration by means of messaging, this is the book. Contains a catalogue of messaging patterns, from easiest to most complex. Examples include JMS.

Comment

Picking this topic up.

I am looking for good books on architecture/framework design. Any suggestions?

These are already in my bookshelf:
                        • Effective Java
                        • J2EE expert one on one
                        • J2EE Without EJB
                        • Refacttoring to patterns
                        • Patterns of enterprise application architecture
                        • Design patterns
                        • Clean Code

Comment

Thats a quite old thread you have digged out there - I personally find "Domain Driven Design" (E. Evans) very good.

Comment

Some personal new recommendations:
                            Working Effectly with legacy code
                            Agile software development - princibles, patterns and practices

Comment

Working...
                            X