X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eyuck - Java application as XSLT transforms

Yep, just like the subject says, I've started work creating version 2 of a relatively prototype small application which has been written as a set of XSLT transforms and DOM manipulations - most method calls pass around DOM Element's which mean all type checking and content assist go out the window. I'm writing the technical motivations for the next version of the application and would like to state that this is a bad coding practice since it makes an application harder to understand and maintain - as well as throwing out 99% of the IDE features, yet I can't seem to find any articles on the subject - I'm sure I've come across this opinion and anti pattern a few times but can't think of where. Any pointers?

On the other hand - is writing applications as essentially XML processors with no POJO's coming in as a fad? Did I miss the boat or something - seems to me that there are a lot of people out there that forget the reason why we have programming languages is that they are one of the simplest ways to say "I want X to do A". Hmmph. It's like instead of using a Spring bean factory, we just parse the XML whenever we need any information.
Working...
X