X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on integrating workflow engines into architecture

In a typical small web app, one usually applies the MVC pattern and thus the controller takes care of the workflow. In essence, the "web client" layer is responsible for its own state management and transitions, thus it manages the workflow independently of the service layer.

In a bigger, potentially distributed app with multiple clients it would seem logical that the workflow management is pushed into the service layer somehow as to avoid duplication of code accross client implementations and also to keep the clients simple and free them from making business decisions.

Assuming that I'm correct in my thinking, any hints or pointers on how to implement the above? I've looked at OSWorkflow and it seems like a very good fit (maybe a bit of an overkill) and I'm not scared of rolling my own workflow engine either (I'd prefer something more JavaBean-based rather than yet-another-XML-DTD-to-learn). I'm just battling to figure out how to fit it into the overall system architecture.

I suggest you google for "application controller", Martin Forwler's name for this pattern (http://www.martinfowler.com/eaaCatal...ontroller.html).

Erwin

Comment

Working...
    X