Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packaging/Deploying

Hello,
    I have a packaging/deploying question regarding using Spring in a J2EE/Toplink environment.
    If this is a FAQ please point me to the approriate URL.
    What is the best practice to minimize impact on customer?

I have bundled my POJOs in a separate jar file(POJOs contain business logic).
    I have bundled my Spring beans and DAOs in a separate jar file.
    All other libraries that spring requires are in their respective jar file.

If I happen to change the DAO then I only need to ship the beans+DAO jar file to the customer.

Is this the recommended approach ?
    Regards,
    Aswin.

It's hard to say really. If you have lots of small jars then its easy to drop one in, but is it that much easier than dropping one big one in? If you drop one small jar in, you need to ensure there aren't going to be any linkage issues. If you drop a big jar in that package should work together as its passed your testing process. Which one's better......

Comment

Originally posted by karldmoore View Post
      It's hard to say really. If you have lots of small jars then its easy to drop one in, but is it that much easier than dropping one big one in? If you drop one small jar in, you need to ensure there aren't going to be any linkage issues. If you drop a big jar in that package should work together as its passed your testing process. Which one's better......
      This is an interesting question that you raise.
      What percentage of your applications are packaged as a large number of jars and how many lean the other way?
      Do you have any criteria for making your choice?
      Do you generally pack the MVC in one jar or split out the packages?
      Am I correct in seeing a case for utility routines from one project being in a jar so that they can be reused more easily.
      Any other criteria that you use?

Comment

Working...
      X