Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which AJAX library to use with Spring?

Hoping I'm not too eager to listen to buzzwords flying around... but it really IS a nice feature if a drop-down could be populated in a form depending on another object being chnged in the said form...so I'm investigating the Ajax-possibilities.
    DWR seems simple enough, but I can't seem to get it to work properly with Acegi.
    Taconite - well, how to integrate with Spring? The same goes for AjaxTags which seem not at all easy to integrate... are there any blos telling someone like me how to proceed?
    What Ajax-libs do you prefer?

I have used DWR and AjaxTags, but now gradually moving towards those "pure" client side libraries such as YUI and prototype. I have come to realize that, ironically, the more seamlessly integrated between the client and server sides, the more likely that some logic will spill into the client side that is not supposed to. For instance, if you can manipulate the same Java object in javascript like DWR or GWT allows, it's only natural you'd do things that were supposed to be done on the server side. Like validation, formatting data, etc.

Comment

I use DWR and love it. I somewhat agree with what manifoldronin mentioned about the client layer not getting polluted with server logic, however that's more of a misuse of DWR or bad implementations on your part if you abuse it.

I hate programming JavaScript, so you won't find me putting server logic in the client if I could just have it in nice Java code with nice little unit tests

I find with DWR my JavaScript is "as small as possible" and very clean since DWR's javascript utils are quite handy...

Comment

Originally posted by kantorn View Post
        Hoping I'm not too eager to listen to buzzwords flying around... but it really IS a nice feature if a drop-down could be populated in a form depending on another object being chnged in the said form...so I'm investigating the Ajax-possibilities.
        [CUT]
        What Ajax-libs do you prefer?
        You can also give a try to XT Ajax Framework, a pure server side Ajax solution integrated with SpringMVC and various client side libraries like Taconite or Prototype.

It is part of Spring Modules: https://springmodules.dev.java.net/d...l_single/#ajax

Cheers,

Sergio B.

Comment

> DWR seems simple enough, but I can't seem to get it to work properly with Acegi.

You,ve seen this?
          http://iremia.univ-reunion.fr/intran...ge=DWRandAcegi

Comment

Originally posted by manifoldronin View Post
            I have used DWR and AjaxTags, but now gradually moving towards those "pure" client side libraries such as YUI and prototype. I have come to realize that, ironically, the more seamlessly integrated between the client and server sides, the more likely that some logic will spill into the client side that is not supposed to. For instance, if you can manipulate the same Java object in javascript like DWR or GWT allows, it's only natural you'd do things that were supposed to be done on the server side. Like validation, formatting data, etc.
            I think this is a problem with many of the Ajax starters, trying to Ajax enable applications which are predominantly server-side stuff. It is quite difficult to maintain the isolation between client side stuff and server side exposures using toolkits like DWR. OTOH, server side people are typically reticent towards using client side libraries like YUI and prototype, simply because of their aversion towards Javascript. Seriously need some roadmaps towards Ajax induction into server side enterprise projects

- Debasish

Comment

Working...
            X