Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to implement a custom BeanFactory?

I am developing an XML-based configuration tool called JICE that is very similar to the XmlBeanFactory of Spring Framework.

In order to use JICE with Spring, I would like to implement a custom BeanFactory that would internally initialize beans with JICE. This would make it possible to plug JICE into Spring applications.

what things should I consider in creating such an implementation? is it enough to just implement the BeanFactory interface? or should I implement the ApplicationContext interface?

Information about JICE can be found at:

http://jicengine.sourceforge.net

regards,

Timo Laitinen

Timo

You should look at the BeanDefinitionReader interface rather than subclassing BeanFactory or ApplicationContext. The actual container (BeanFactory or AC) is separate from the means of configuration (BeanDefinitionReader).

Rgds
    Rod

Comment

Thank you for the quick reply! that was very fast..

I looked at the BeanDefinitionReader briefly and it unfortenately seems to be too close to the Spring way of initializing the beans:

- It assumes that the beans are initialized by using
      BeanDefinitionRegistry and BeanDefinition interfaces.

- The BeanDefinition contains only the data needed (by Spring) to initialize a bean - the actual construction of a bean is done elsewhere.

- Because the way JICE initializes objects is so different, I can't express the object creation instructions of JICE in the BeanDefinition-format.
      (If I would, all the advantages that JICE could have over Spring would be taken out..)

I would like to find a spot that would abstract away the whole object creation process. totally JICE-based object creation could then be plugged into that "sweet spot".

I am having a bad feeling that this won't be as easy as I hoped..

Timo Laitinen

Comment

ApplicationContext & ConfigurableListableBeanFactory

I would like to know how to get a custom BeanFactory work together with the ApplicationContext model.

A custom BeanFactory-implementation is easy to implement, so I can easily create a JiceBeanFactory that internally uses JICE for initializing the beans.

However, I assume that JiceBeanFactory would be usable only if it could work well together with ApplicationContext model.

ApplicationContext-classes are themselves BeanFactories, but they probably delegate the bean initialization stuff to an internal BeanFactory-instance.

AbstractApplicationContext for example has a method getBeanFactory() that returns the internal factory instance. subclasses specify how this factory is initialized.

So, I could create a subclass of AbstractApplicationContext whose getBeanFactory() method would return an instance of the JiceBeanFactory.

But there is a problem:

AbstractApplicationContext.getBeanFactory() assumes that the factory is a ConfigurableListableBeanFactory.

That interface requires that the BeanFactory is based on BeanDefinitions. JiceBeanFactory can't support BeanDefinitions..

So, It seems that my choices are:

1.) create only the JiceBeanFactory and leave it at that. JiceBeanFactory will be difficult to use because it doesn't work with the ApplicationContext model.

2.) create a custom ApplicationContext that doesn't require ConfigurableListableBeanFactory interface. (this sounds like a lot of work.)

My questions:

Is there an easy way to plug a custom BeanFactory into the ApplicationContext model without implementing the ConfigurableListableBeanFactory interface?

Is the ApplicationContext support as critical as I'm guessing? (can a custom BeanFactory be usable without ApplicationContext-support? is the alternative 1 above viable?)

Is a custom ApplicationContext difficult to implement? (= is the alternative 2 above possible?)

regards,

Timo Laitinen

Comment

'm with the same problem. Any solution?

I want create an BeanFactory or ApplicationContext implementation that creates and returns bean proxies instead of real implementation of bean

Thanks,
          Victor Lindberg

Comment

Working...
          X