X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overzealous use of "info" log level

I recently upgraded from 1.0.2 to 1.1.1 and I'm disappointed to see a bunch of log message logged at the "info" level with regard to SqlErrorCodesFactory internal lookups, etc. I'd like to lobby for these messages (specifically the messages logged at lines 197 and 202) to be demoted to debug level for the following reason:

Its intrusive. I don't need to know that Spring needs to lookup and cache this stuff. I'm sure there is alot of other stuff that spring does when it parses my context files, but I don't need to see it all at info level and until how I haven't been forced to. While logging granularity is certainly a matter of preference, I'm concerned about a deeper issue of the intrusiveness of spring as it grows larger.

Until now I have only seen messages at info level that are *directly caused by entries in my application context files*, for example, beans I have explicitly configured getting parsed, or services initialized, etc. Now, I have about 50 log messages at startup that relate to an *internal spring implementation detail* that I never explicitly configured anywhere. If I want this arguably "noisy" information from the framework, I will open the flood gates of "debug" level. Info level is the last bastion of useful application status messages left in the logging world. Lets try to respect it.

There has already been a proposal to reduce logging in this area.
    See Jira issue SPR-389 (fixed for release 1.1.2)

Regards,
    Andreas

Comment

smashing. thank you.

-Ravi

Comment

Working...
      X