Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
How best to distribute Spring beans for commercial job scheduler/workflow/BPM engine? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How best to distribute Spring beans for commercial job scheduler/workflow/BPM engine?

Hi all,

I'm new to Spring, although I've heard about Spring from several different folks for a while now.

I've just created my first Spring bean to my company's commercial job scheduler/workflow/BPM engine. I'm doing this because more and more of our users have been asking about Spring support in our software.

I know I can distribute our Spring beans with our software easily enough, but my question is this: is there an acceptable way to distribute my Spring bean software with the Spring distribution itself?

I can make my Spring bean code available as an Apache license. That's not a problem, although my company's commercial scheduler/workflow/BPM software is not open source.

Is it considered best to simply distribute my Spring beans with my commercial software?

Or is it considered ok to provide open source adapters/plug-ins/providers to commercial software?

Thanks for any guidance,
    David

PS: I believe Cameron Purdy with Tangosol has this same dilemma with Coherence.

Spring is licensed under the Apache License. Read it! You can distribute it with your company's code, it does not require you to open source your code. Section 4 tells you what you do need to do for redistribution.

Comment

Hi Haninaguib,

I need to clarify. My question wasn't about the compatibility of my license with the Apache one. Rather, I wanted to know what was acceptable within the Spring community for distributing my Spring beans literally in the Spring distribution.

Costin Leau and Alex Ruiz have now given me some very helpful suggestions. They've pointed me at the Spring Modules, and that sounds like exactly what I need.

As I understand it, I could build a Spring module for my software, and as long as it can compile cleanly during a Spring build, then it could potentially be distributed literally with the Spring distribution.

That's what I need to know for now.

Thanks,
      David

Comment

Ups, sorry about that. Out of curiosity what company do you work for, I have recently been looking at schedulers.

Comment

Originally posted by haninaguib
          Out of curiosity what company do you work for, I have recently been looking at schedulers.
          Flux

Cheers,
          David

Comment

Working...
          X