Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laszlo View

Hi,

A simple question : is there someone working on a Laszlo View for spring ?

For people who doesn't know Laszlo, it is like Macromedia's Flex, but it is now opensource ;-)

Take a look at http://www.laszlosystems.com/

Fabien.

Yes, it looks quite good from the 10 minute preview and demo apps.

Comment

you're right i put the direct link for the orthers : http://www.laszlosystems.com/lps/laszlo-in-ten-minutes/

Comment

I had a quick look at the Laszlo site and what I could see from the architecture docs, the main interface from LPS is through LPS Data connector (SOAP/XML - Web Services).

Do you know if there are other ways to interface with LPS - that is talk to a Spring service layer ?

It looks nice when you browse the sample code. If I understand it correctly LPS is a Client/Server platform that specializes on client experience of look and feel using Flash player technology.

Fabien, have you used LPS outside of the Spring framework? It would be nice if we could find a good integration point to a Spring Service layer.

Hans

Comment

Hi Hans,

Laszlo is new for me, i find it last night and i think that's it is a good way when u have complex interaction on the view part.

I really think that a good integration of Laszlo in a spring would be nice.

It works with XML data so everything is possible.

I'll try to use it with my current spring app next week if someone has any idea, send it and follow me ;-)

Fabien.

Comment

Has anyone made any progress here?

I have a spring service serving up an XML view to be consumed by LZX. However, I'd much rather talk directly via Laszlo's <javarpc> remoting.

I don't think this is possible because Laszlo has no idea of our Spring context. Anyone down this road as well?

Roll

Comment

I also recently came across Laszlo and it seems good.

Did anyone try to use Laszlo + Spring + Hibernate application. If yes, could you please share your experience regarding how to intergrate Laszlo with Spring framework?

Thanks!

Comment

I recently deployed a Laszlo view layer with a Spring middle-tier.

I used vanilla Spring MVC that served up XML responses. Laszlo consumed the XML via dataset requests.

The response from the client was phenomenal. RIA rocks!

I'm currently writing a document that I'll post on the Spring, Laszlo, and Liferay sites that demonstrates the usage of Rich Internet Applications via Laszlo with a Spring middle-tier as JSR-168 compliant portlet.

Cheers,
                Roll

Comment

Thanks very much for your prompt response Roll.

I'm looking forward to your article as i'm seriously considering Laszlo for our project.

I'm not a GUI person. So could you please explain a little bit on what do you mean by:

I used vanilla Spring MVC that served up XML responses. Laszlo consumed the XML via dataset requests.
                  If you could outline those things in a high-level steps, i'll try to do more research on that.

Thanks!

Comment

I don't consider myself a GUI person either, which is one reason why I love Laszlo.

I'm assuming you already are familiar with Spring MVC. I have a controller that essentially serves up XML. I currently use XStream for swizzling my model into XML. However, you could inject your model directly into your view and have it create the XML there, use XML-RPC, expose as a web service, etc. There are several possiblities here.

Next, walk through the Laszlo developer documentation. There are several sections on developing "data driven applications". Here you'll learn how to make XML HTTP requests to your Spring middle-tier.

They conceivably could exist in the same webapp, however, I chose for development purposes to have two separate web contexts. One for the Laszlo view and the other for the Spring web application that serves up the XML.

Enjoy!
                    Roll

Comment

Oh, and if you haven't already go to the IBM alphaworks site and download the Laszlo IDE. That is of course if you use Eclipse. The plugin is fantastic.

It allows you to do WYSIWYG Laszlo development.

Wish I had it on my previous engadgement. Sigh. Prior to this I was deploying LZX files to my web container and refreshing in my browser.

Comment

Thanks Roll.

I know MVC and have used structs. I'm yet to go through Spring MVC documentation. What's XStream for? I'll try to goole as well.

I would like to control the GUI from the back-end i.e. the view should be decided dynamically by the server and this input should be in XML. This is what we need.

I'll also go through the Laszlo documentation regarding "data driven apps" that you mentioned.

Another feature that is a must for our application is to add enclosures from the GUI (lots of them) and upload it to the server. Any thoughts? How is the performance with XML-RPC/XML-HTTP?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by spring04
                          Thanks Roll.

I know MVC and have used structs. I'm yet to go through Spring MVC documentation. What's XStream for? I'll try to goole as well.

Thanks!
                          Xstream serializes java objects to XML and back again.http://xstream.codehaus.org/

Comment

Xmlbeans

XmlBeans is also really great for marshalling to and unmarshalling from xml.

http://xmlbeans.apache.org/

Comment

Rich Internet Apps/Laszlo doc available? + ASP delivered app

Originally posted by rollatwork
                              I recently deployed a Laszlo view layer with a Spring middle-tier.
                              [ . . . ]
                              I'm currently writing a document that I'll post on the Spring, Laszlo, and Liferay sites that demonstrates the usage of Rich Internet Applications via Laszlo with a Spring middle-tier as JSR-168 compliant portlet.
                              Hi Roll, have you produced this doc yet? Can I prod you into doing so?

I'm particularly interested in the following architecture: a logical 3-tier 'business' app (CRUD+reporting+some dashboards) that does smart validation--meaning at the tabbing from field-to-field level--on a rich client, but remoted with all non-validation bus. logic & DB on the server. Essentially an ASP (application service provider) model that's scalable and where we could easily swap in different clients as needed.

Originally thinking to do some kind of SWT, Swing, or Spring Rich client for performance-snappiness/native L&F/validation needs, but to design this system so it'd be easy to swap in or change to a web client when/if needed. After looking at Laszlo, I'm now thinking maybe we could cover both needs with that product (that is, stay with just a web client that is "rich enough").

We would be customizing the (rich - web) client for different end-user applications and their "looks" (if not "feels"!) But all the backend would run from the same server(s), though out of different tables in the DB.

Comments? Anyone else doing something similar? Reasons why Laszlo might not work for this kind of ASP app? (I'll also add a note to the Spring Rich Client forum that points to this post.)

Thanks,
                              Brad

Comment

Working...
                              X