X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why J2EE AND Spring?

This is NOT "J2ee VS. Spring", but request for help understanding a real-world phenomenon.

I see many job postings that say something like

Required Skills:
    ..... J2EE, Spring ....
    and often
    ... WebSphere/WebLogic...

I know (or believe) that:

- Spring and J2EE applications are built using very different architectures.
    - Spring has its own containers and does not need the full J2ee server-side container.
    - Most functions supported in one are supported in the other but using different and incompatible APIs.
    - Learning one gives you almost no leverage on knowing the other. You cannot learn one and then start developing in the other.
    Note: A few basic concepts cross-over (containers, configuration outside of code, etc),
    but since everything is done with different APIs you pretty much have to start from scratch to learn it.

My question is, why would so many job postings require both J2EE and Spring?

The possible answers that I have thought of are:

1. Lots of applications are built in J2EE and also include a few Spring libraries.
    (If so, which Spring libraries would that be and how are they used outside the Spring container?)

2. Lots of applications are built in Spring and also include some J2EE libraries.
    (If so, which J2EE libraries are used and how are they used outside the J2EE container?)

3. The jobs are in shops that do many different projects, some in Spring and some in J2EE.
    (This seems unlikely because most of the job posts are for specific projects, e.g. on a 6 month contract.
    Also, are there really that many companies that use 2 incompatible frameworks, with all the overhead that implies?)

4. The applications are being written in Spring but make use of a few features of the J2EE servers, e.g. clustering.
    (In this case the job post should be worded "J2EE server administration" rather than J2EE, and J2EE is essentially irrelevent.)

5. The job postings are written by people who do not know the difference between the two frameworks or which one they actually use.
    (This seems unlikely because of the large number of these ads;
    I'm hoping there are not that many people who do not know something that fundamental about their own environment.)

Can anyone help me understand why many job posts include both frameworks?

Thanks for your assistance.
Working...
X