X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JCS is distributed

I guess I didn't make myself clear. JCS is a distributed caching system. I'm using it to distribute data across clusters of various sizes. I pointed out why I do not want a transactional distribution mechanism. . . .

Take a look at the documentation:

http://jakarta.apache.org/jcs/index.html

Comment

asmuts, I see now you're a developer on JCS. That explains your post.

I also assumed from the poster's original question that they want a cache that plugs into Hibernate, given their mention of all of the Hibernate caches (except JBoss cache).

Maybe you can clarify if JCS plugs into Hibernate, or if there are future plans to allow it to be used as a 2nd level cache for Hibernate.

btw, the following is just plain wrong. JBoss Cache isn't tied to the JBoss app server. You can use JBoss Cache as a standalone plug in to Hibernate.

It's [JBoss Cache] too tied to JBoss and I would never sell my soul to any container.

Comment

reasons please

That I started JCS is irrelevant to whether or not JCS is better than JBoss cache. I asked for reasons to think that JBoss cache is better. Accusing me of bias is not a reason to think that JBoss is better. Perhaps this might help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

Can you offer any reasons why JBoss is better? What makes it better? Can you address the fundamental design flaws that I pointed out? I never said that you must use it inside of JBoss. . . .

Comment

Can you offer any reasons why JBoss is better?
          I'll try. Firstly, my requirements and goals are to operate a production system on commodity hardware, and safeguard data that is extremely valuable to our customers.

We also can't handle the system load on one box, so operate multiple boxes behind an Apache front end.

So, I've decided we need transactional clustering to deliver the above requirements.

The only choice seems to be JBoss TreeCache, which works pretty well.

I think the next JBoss TreeCache release supports eviction from the cluster as opposed to replication across the cluster which will be good.

I'm hoping it will scale reasonably well since we're scheduled to do a country wide sales and marketing rollout around April so will likely have some interesting performance figures to share by then.

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by irbouho View Post
            Great choice

Spring Framework 1.1.1 allows for configuring EHCache using IOC. Take a look at package org.springframework.cache.ehcache (in cvs) for more details.
            OSCache also support integration with spring.

Comment

I recommend OSCache

I had alot of success with using OSCache on a previous project, the documentation was good.. an advantage i saw over EHCache was OSCache ability to return stale content while the cache is being updated... EHCache has a limitation that blocked thread writes while being updated..which made a bottle neck when doing "Method level" caching...with OSCache would send back the stale content while the cache is being updated from another thread.

OSCache also supports distributed cache clustering via JMS.

also your not tied to a container(JBossTree)
              Last edited by twoencore; Mar 13th, 2008, 08:13 PM. Reason: spelling.

Comment

Curious to see the results now...

Originally posted by gmatthews View Post
                I'll try. Firstly, my requirements and goals are to operate a production system on commodity hardware, and safeguard data that is extremely valuable to our customers.

We also can't handle the system load on one box, so operate multiple boxes behind an Apache front end.

So, I've decided we need transactional clustering to deliver the above requirements.

The only choice seems to be JBoss TreeCache, which works pretty well.

I think the next JBoss TreeCache release supports eviction from the cluster as opposed to replication across the cluster which will be good.

I'm hoping it will scale reasonably well since we're scheduled to do a country wide sales and marketing rollout around April so will likely have some interesting performance figures to share by then.

Regards,
                Sorry to resurrect this thread from the dead - but I am quite curious after two years how things turned out. Did you end up using transactions w/TreeCache? Did it scale for you? How has it been in operation?

Thanks,

Taylor Gautier
                Product Manager, Terracotta

Comment

Working...
                X