Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Tomcat feasibility w.r.t Weblogic or IBM application servers ? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomcat feasibility w.r.t Weblogic or IBM application servers ?

Hello,

I have been asked by my company to explore the possibility of using Tomcat for all environment over Weblogic or IBM application server.

I know in general about the product features pertaining to native EJB support, Transaction support, EAR support etc. Also the licensing cost is comparatively less that other available options.

I need your views on what other factors should be considered when choosing an application server ?

Any comments with supporting links will be greatly appreciated../

Thanks

meher

First off by my corporate guidelines I have to state that I work for IBM.

The decision to choose an enterprise class application server as the WebSphere Application server is most commonly driven by the following factors:

1) Need for rock solid reliability
    2) Need for high availability clustering
    3) Need for enterprise support
    4) Integration possibilities with other enterprise software solutions (Process Server, MQ and so forth)

So the general question would be is your application cirtical? You will have a hard time gaining the listed facts with Tomcat, whereas it might theoretically all be possible.

Comment

If you don't need EJB give tomcat a shot. I use it to run my companies website and do not have issues. I have apache - mod_proxy_jk - tomcat - sql server. No problems at all. And if there are problems, you can look in the code and fix them.

Comment

Working...
      X