X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd Exception Deploying to dm Servers

Hopefully I'm missing something easy and obvious and someone can kindly point it out.

Using STS 2.1.0.SR01 (with some plugin upgrades, see below) and dm Server 1.0.2.SR02.

I've got a really simple bundle that has no imports (it has some exported interfaces and that's it). This had been deploying fine and working fine, until I upgraded my STS Spring IDE and dm server tooling in order to get the latest bundlor upgrade. (I wanted this b/c another module I have is a web module with a web.xml that I need scanned to populate the MANIFEST.MF imports for that guy.)

After the upgrade, my deployed bundles threw the exception I copied below. So I stopped the server, removed all deployments, cleaned out the work folder, and tried again with just my simple API bundle, and THAT throws the same exception now too. Now, thru STS, I cannot get any of my modules to deploy - they all throw this exception in the dm Server console:
    Code:
    [2009-10-15 14:57:45.641]  Connection(5)-127.0.0.1 <SPFF0002I> Wrote dump file "R:\bin\springsource\dm-server-1.0.2.SR02\serviceability\dump\2009-10-15_14-57-45.dump"
    java.lang.NullPointerException
    	at com.springsource.server.deployer.core.internal.StandardApplicationDeployer.getFileName(StandardApplicationDeployer.java:411)
    	at com.springsource.server.deployer.core.internal.StandardApplicationDeployer.deploy(StandardApplicationDeployer.java:303)
    	at com.springsource.server.deployer.controls.StandardDeployerControl.deploy(StandardDeployerControl.java:100)
    	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
    	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
    	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
    	at sun.reflect.misc.Trampoline.invoke(MethodUtil.java:36)
    	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
    	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
    	at sun.reflect.misc.MethodUtil.invoke(MethodUtil.java:243)
    	at javax.management.modelmbean.RequiredModelMBean.invokeMethod(RequiredModelMBean.java:1074)
    	at javax.management.modelmbean.RequiredModelMBean.invoke(RequiredModelMBean.java:955)
    	at com.sun.jmx.interceptor.DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.invoke(DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.java:836)
    	at com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.JmxMBeanServer.invoke(JmxMBeanServer.java:761)
    	at javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl.doOperation(RMIConnectionImpl.java:1426)
    	at javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl.access$200(RMIConnectionImpl.java:72)
    	at javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl$PrivilegedOperation.run(RMIConnectionImpl.java:1264)
    	at javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl.doPrivilegedOperation(RMIConnectionImpl.java:1359)
    	at javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl.invoke(RMIConnectionImpl.java:788)
    	at sun.rmi.server.UnicastServerRef.dispatch(UnicastServerRef.java:305)
    	at sun.rmi.transport.Transport$1.run(Transport.java:159)
    	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    	at sun.rmi.transport.Transport.serviceCall(Transport.java:155)
    	at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport.handleMessages(TCPTransport.java:535)
    	at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport$ConnectionHandler.run0(TCPTransport.java:790)
    	at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport$ConnectionHandler.run(TCPTransport.java:649)
    	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)
    	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)
    	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
    Now here's the odd part: if I JAR up my same bundle and drop this into the pickup folder, it works fine.

No matter what I do I cannot seem to get an STS deployment to work for any bundle now.

Anyone seen this? Any clues?

Tried dm Server 2.0.0.M5

So I also thought that maybe my STS/dm server tool plugin upgrade is compatible only with Spring dm Server 2.0, so I pulled down the M5 release of this and tried it out. Same general results, tho the exception is different. I won't attach the dump unless someone really needs it, but the exception in the dm-server.log in the dump file is
    Code:
    [2009-10-15 15:07:12.746]  TCP Connection(8)-127.0.0.1 c.s.k.i.artifact.internal.StandardInstallArtifactTreeInclosure    < public com.springsource.util.common.Tree com.springsource.kernel.install.artifact.internal.StandardInstallArtifactTreeInclosure.createInstallTree(java.net.URI) java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: URI is not hierarchical
    	at java.io.File.<init>(File.java:363)
    	at com.springsource.kernel.install.artifact.internal.StandardInstallArtifactTreeInclosure.createInstallTree(StandardInstallArtifactTreeInclosure.java:120)
    	at com.springsource.kernel.deployer.core.internal.PipelinedApplicationDeployer.deploy(PipelinedApplicationDeployer.java:165)
    	at com.springsource.kernel.deployer.management.StandardDeployer.deploy(StandardDeployer.java:60)
    	at com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.ConvertingMethod.invokeWithOpenReturn(ConvertingMethod.java:167)
    	at com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.MXBeanIntrospector.invokeM2(MXBeanIntrospector.java:96)
    	at com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.MXBeanIntrospector.invokeM2(MXBeanIntrospector.java:33)
    	at com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.MBeanIntrospector.invokeM(MBeanIntrospector.java:208)
    	at com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.PerInterface.invoke(PerInterface.java:120)
    	at com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.MBeanSupport.invoke(MBeanSupport.java:262)
    	at com.sun.jmx.interceptor.DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.invoke(DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.java:836)
    	at com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.JmxMBeanServer.invoke(JmxMBeanServer.java:761)
    	at javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl.doOperation(RMIConnectionImpl.java:1426)
    	at javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl.access$200(RMIConnectionImpl.java:72)
    	at javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl$PrivilegedOperation.run(RMIConnectionImpl.java:1264)
    	at javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl.doPrivilegedOperation(RMIConnectionImpl.java:1359)
    	at javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl.invoke(RMIConnectionImpl.java:788)
    	at sun.rmi.server.UnicastServerRef.dispatch(UnicastServerRef.java:305)
    	at sun.rmi.transport.Transport$1.run(Transport.java:159)
    	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    	at sun.rmi.transport.Transport.serviceCall(Transport.java:155)
    	at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport.handleMessages(TCPTransport.java:535)
    	at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport$ConnectionHandler.run0(TCPTransport.java:790)
    	at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport$ConnectionHandler.run(TCPTransport.java:649)
    	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)
    	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)
    	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
    Again, if I just copy the JAR into the pickup folder, all is good and it deploys and starts.

This seems like something special STS is doing in the way it interacts with the dm Server then, but surely there's a way around this?

Comment

There is a related thread here that I have posted additional information:

http://forum.springsource.org/showthread.php?p=264962

Comment

Follow-up: in a separate email thread with Christian, it appears as tho this will be fixed in the upcoming STS 2.2.0 release.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
        X